Clavamox Question

Old October 28th 03, 04:41 AM
Christine Burel

Could you also try gettting the acidophilus capsules from the refrigerated
section of health food stores and sprinkle some of the poweder on Natasha's
regular food?
Christine
"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
I spoke to TED today on the phone about Natasha. She did not want me
to bring Natasha in for an exam, but she did change Tasha's medicine.
She's now taking a sulfa-based antibiotic called Sulfadimethoxine /
Ormetoprim.

TED also thinks Tasha's GI flora may have been knocked down and needs
to be repopulated. With that in mind, for the next 3 days I have to
give Natasha a daily dose of 1 teaspoon of active culture yogurt. I
was told that if I like yogurt, then I should get my favorite flavor
and share it with the cat - flavor won't hurt her, she just needs the
active culture.

I'm sure the two of us would have provided an entertaining show
tonight - first her pill in pieces (because of size), then water via
syringe (to help get the pill down and wash away the taste - this new
stuff is supposed to taste *really* bad), then me trying to get a cat
who wants nothing to do with it to eat some yogurt. sigh

Right now she's curled up on her "alternate bed" (the table next to my
chair), purring. Probably plotting what she'll do to get even - soon.

The things we do for our babies, and the things they put up with from
us....

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

Old October 28th 03, 04:59 AM
Marina

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote
snip

Right now she's curled up on her "alternate bed" (the table next to my
chair), purring. Probably plotting what she'll do to get even - soon.

The things we do for our babies, and the things they put up with from
us....

Purrs that your pilling and youghurt regime go well, and that Natasha's
revenge isn't too bad. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 28th 03, 09:49 PM
polonca12000

Hugs for you, Jeanne, for taking such good care of Natasha, making her take
her medicine is unpleasant for both of you.
Purrs and best wishes for Natasha to be completely healthy again really
soon,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
I spoke to TED today on the phone about Natasha. She did not want me
to bring Natasha in for an exam, but she did change Tasha's medicine.
She's now taking a sulfa-based antibiotic called Sulfadimethoxine /
Ormetoprim.

TED also thinks Tasha's GI flora may have been knocked down and needs
to be repopulated. snip

Old November 3rd 03, 06:44 PM
Marie Lawrence

Hi there,
It is known as clavulox in Aus, it comes in pill and liquid form. My cat
was on it for some time, and became allergic to it. It was causing her to
vomit, so she went on to amoxil instead.
Marie from
OZ

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
The clavamox we gave that cat of ours was *pills* - not liquid.

"Mary" wrote in message
: Does anyone here have experience with Clavamox? Were there any
: side-effects?
:
: If you're on antibiotics for a while, it can kill the good cut flora in
the
: stoumach that helps with digestion. It can give them diarrhea. Try
bene-bac
: from Petco. It has live cultures of gut flora. It's better than yogurt
because
: these cultures survive all the way to the intestines where they're

needed.
I'd
: also call your vet. He should answer your question for free. I don't

know
about
: the drooling.

Old November 8th 03, 07:06 PM
Jeanne Hedge

For those who may have been following the long saga of Natasha, my 16
year-old DSH mistress, her kidney/bladder infection diagnosed 3 months
ago, her necrotic tooth removal last month, and her various bouts of
vomiting, diarhea, drooling, and refusal to eat or drink that happened
along the way, I'm happy to say that "the long national nightmare is
over".

Yes indeed, for the first time in 3 months, through Baytril and
Clavamox and Sulfadimethoxine/Ormetoprim, Natasha is no longer on any
kind of medication. Yesterday's blood and urine tests show everything
back within the acceptable ranges. (yay rah!)

The vet says that it's most likely that Tasha's infection was because
of the bad tooth - although she'd been on antibiotics for 2 months by
that time, as soon as the tooth was removed, the infection went away.
Catch 22: TED didn't want to remove the tooth until the kidney/bladder
infection was gone, but it turned out the kidney/bladder infection
didn't go away until the vet finally relented and removed the tooth.

I'm told that Natasha still has failing kidneys, but the only test
result they can show me to prove this is that the specific gravity of
her urine is "higher than (they'd) like to see". I asked what would
cause that, and the vet finally admitted that the most likely cause is
that Natasha is 16 years old.

What caused the drooling? We're guessing that
Sulfadimethoxine/Ormetoprim and (especially) Clavamox taste even worse
than expected.

Why the refusal to eat/drink? Would you eat or drink if your medicine
was making you ill? Add into that that Tasha has decided she can't
abide K/D, dry or canned. She'll eat absolutely anything else, so long
as it's not K/D. So, at the moment, we're trying something Purina
makes called N/F. If it turns out she doesn't like that, I'm "allowed"
to start her on whatever Hill's Science Diet's "kidney formula" or
"senior cat" food is called.

Our next "check-up" is February, just to make sure things are still
going well.

Thanks for any occasional purrs and good thoughts that may have been
directed Natasha's way. I'm hoping to have her with me for a few more
years yet!

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

CompuServe Comics/Anime Forum via Your Browser
- IT'S FREE! -
*** http://go.compuserve.com/comic ***
Old November 8th 03, 07:21 PM
Annie Wxill

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
.... Our next "check-up" is February, just to make sure things are still
going well.

.... Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

Great news. Thanks for the update. You and Natasha have gone through a lot
recently. I hope she continues to do better.
Annie

Old November 8th 03, 09:23 PM
polonca12000

Oh wow, I'm so very happy for both of you! Excellent news!
Lots of purrs and best wishes for Natasha to keep doing so well,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old November 8th 03, 11:03 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:06:57 GMT, (Jeanne Hedge) wrote:

[...]

More purrs for Natasha -- may she continue to thrive. MLB
Old November 8th 03, 11:22 PM
lrulan

Wonderful news all around, Jeanne. May Natasha give you many more happy
years.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Toe question Nanny Cat anecdotes 4 September 30th 03 02:55 AM
Dave Y: Hebrew question [email protected] Cat anecdotes 5 August 29th 03 12:49 AM
question potential for adopting - longish OU812? Cat anecdotes 12 August 19th 03 10:35 AM