Just a cute story

Old October 11th 05, 05:55 PM
DAdriano

Default Just a cute story

Sorry folks...just have to ramble a bit.

This morning, after walking my 1st grader to school, a neighborhood kitty
came up to me. She is a cute gray and white little thing that is just
absolutely adorable. When I was petting her she purred and put her little
paw up on my chest...like she was saying, "Oh please pet me more." It was so
adorable! So I went to pick her up and she jumped up on my shoulder and
started bumping her head into my ear. Unfortunately in my neighborhood,
there are a lot of people who just keep their cats outside. It makes me
feel bad for them because their owners don't pay any attention to them.
This little gray kitty runs up to me everytime I'm outside.

Old October 11th 05, 08:07 PM

snip story about cat running loose outside

Does this little kitty have ID tags? If not and she is running loose
with no obvious home, you should grab her, keep her in a separate room
and bring her to the spay van when you bring your other cat. They can
shave her belly and check for a spay scar. If she doesn't have one they
can spay her along with the other cat and you will have done a great
service to cats everywhere by preventing more additions to an already
overpopulated world and some unnecessary deaths. You could then find her
home with a responsible person.

If there's no way to identify her as owned, don't worry about the
possibility she belongs somewhere. I have a rule that if a cat is
running loose with no ID and not neutered they are fair game for fixing
and rehoming. Obviously it's easier to know if a male is not neutered,
but shaving the belly of a cat that might have a home just to check for
a spay scar is no harm done.

I rescued a cat last week that fits this criteria. Running loose, no ID
and definitely has an infestation of earmites. I have her in a foster
home and she's going in tomorrow for testing and spay (if she doesn't
show evidence she has been spayed already.) Even if she was, she'll be
adopted out instead of going back on the street because whoever had her
didn't care enough about her to keep her identifiable, healthy and free
of mites.

I cannot in good conscience turn away from unneutered cats roaming
around. There are just too many cats already and millions dying, and
neutering even one cat makes a difference. You're lucky you have a spay
van where you live. We have no such thing in my city and don't have low
cost clinics, so you pay full price or it doesn't get done. It's a real
travesty and it's disgusting that our local humane society, who is one
of the richest in the country, has yet to implement any sort of
neutering program that could prevent a lot of unwanted births and
subsequent surrender of animals.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 11th 05, 08:27 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (11-Oct-05 8:07 PM):
[...]

I hope you have them checked scanned for a chip before you rehome them!
I know some folks that consider collars on an outdoor cat to be
dangerous, but have them chipped so they *are* identifiable.

I'm not going to get into the indoor/outdoor debate, but I think that
with as many cats as are chipped these days, one should really have that
checked before assuming the cat's homeless!

jmc
Old October 11th 05, 09:20 PM
5cats

jmc wrote:

[...]

Almost exactly what I was going to say! My (indoor) cats have microchips
and only Mr. master escape artist wears a collar as well. But even his
collar is a safety collar that could be easily pulled off if snagged. I
sure hope that anyone responsible enough to spay and rehome strays would
also be scanning for micro-chipped lost pets.

Old October 11th 05, 11:37 PM

I hope you have them checked scanned fo
a chip before you rehome them!

Any cats get routinely scanned for microchips. In all the years since
they were first introduced I have yet to rescue a single cat that has a
microchip,
and in 28 years of rescue a total of only two cats were already fixed.
Sad Isn't it? Where I live the odds of winning the lottery are better
than finding a chip in a cat. If it was chipped of course the owner
would be contacted.

Considering the fact that I was specifically addressing unneutered cats
I didn't think I needed to mention anything WRT to microchips. It seems
obvious, to me anyway, that unneutered cats roaming the neighborhood day
and night are not likely to have a microchip.

Old October 12th 05, 06:44 AM
Phil P.

wrote in message
I hope you have them checked scanned fo
a chip before you rehome them!

Any cats get routinely scanned for microchips.

Yet the only ID you told the OP to look for was ID tags... okey dokey.

In all the years since
they were first introduced I have yet to rescue a single cat that has a
microchip,
and in 28 years of rescue a total of only two cats were already fixed.
Sad Isn't it? Where I live the odds of winning the lottery are better
than finding a chip in a cat. If it was chipped of course the owner
would be contacted.

Considering the fact that I was specifically addressing unneutered cats
I didn't think I needed to mention anything WRT to microchips.

Why not? You just said you scan "any cat" *you* find, and you only found
two cats in "28 years" that were neutered. That sure implies that *you*
scanned
a lot of *intact* cats. Why then, did you not feel it was necessary to
mention getting the cat scanned if *you*, yourself scan "any" cat you find-
which includes a lot of *intact cats*? Just asking for clarification
because it sounds like bull**** to me.

You made it very clear that you feel anyone who allows their cat to roam
(even if the cat just got out) doesn't deserve to have the cat. Ergo, why
would you want to find a person that you don't feel should have the cat?

Personally, I think you didn't mention getting the cat scanned because -you
didn't think of it- until someone else mentioned it because you don't really
get cats scanned yourself. If scanning strays were routine for you, it
would be foremost on your list of advice if the cat had no ID tags or other
marking.

Old October 12th 05, 07:55 AM

Phil wrote:

Yet the only ID you told the OP to look
for was ID tags... okey dokey.

Maybe you missed the part where I clearly said "If there's no way to
identify her as owned".

She likely doesn't have a scanner so obviously the first way to try to
identify the cat is to look for tags. I would assume a spay van, since
they are usually affiliated with shelters, would be equipped with a
scanner and it might be done when she brings it in for possible spaying.
Maybe I'm wrong. There isn't some big conspiracy to keep people
uninformed about scanning. My main focus is on making sure the cat is
neutered. It just didn't cross my mind to mention it and, in fact, you
yourself have posted the same with no mention of scanning. For example,
on March 28, 2005 you wrote:

"You cannot legally go on someone's property and trap a cat and have
her
neutered. =A0However, if the cat is roaming or comes on *your* property
and
has no ID you *can*. =A0I'm more concerned about the welfare of the
feline
species that the feelings or wishes of some irresponsible, inconsiderate
asshole. =A0But that's me."

Hmmmmm. Nope. No mention of scanning for a chip.

Considering the fact that I was
specifically addressing unneutered cats I
didn't think I needed to mention anything
WRT to microchips.

Why not? You just said you scan "any
cat" *you* find, and you only found two
cats in "28 years" that were neutered.
That sure implies that *you* scanned
a lot of *intact* cats. Why then, did you
not feel it was necessary to mention
getting the cat scanned if *you*, yourself
scan "any" cat you find- which includes a
lot of *intact cats*? =A0 Just asking for
clarification because it sounds like bull****
to me.

It's automatic and doesn't happen often enough that it's foremost on my
mind. When I rescue a cat, my initial focus is looking to see if it's
fixed and has visible ID. Scanning comes later.

You made it very clear that you feel
anyone who allows their cat to roam (even
if the cat just got out) doesn't deserve to
have the cat.

That's not true. Anyone that allows their *unneutered* cat to roam and
neglects it's health doesn't deserve to have it. I made that very clear.
Let me refesh your memory. I said:

"I have a rule that if a cat is running loose with no ID and not
neutered they are fair game for fixing and rehoming."

Personally, I think you didn't mention
getting the cat scanned because -you
didn't think of it- until someone else
mentioned it because you don't really get
cats scanned yourself.

I don't do it. My vet does and I'm never around when they do it since
it's always sometime after I drop them off as rescues are not planned
and I rarely have the luxury of getting an appointment right then and
there where I would be present when they scan. In almost all cases the
cat is dropped off and boarded until it is checked, vaccinated and
fixed. In the latest rescue I was fortunate to have a foster home so I
was able to make an appointment and will be present.

If scanning strays
were routine for you, it would be foremost
on your list of advice if the cat had no ID
tags or other marking.

You are wrong and clueless as to what would be foremost on my list of
advice. Scanning for a chip is advice you have failed to give yourself.
Like I said, there's no conspiracy. Just an oversight which you yourself
have been guilty of.

Old October 12th 05, 10:00 AM
-L.

Phil P. wrote:
wrote in message
I hope you have them checked scanned fo
a chip before you rehome them!

Any cats get routinely scanned for microchips.

Yet the only ID you told the OP to look for was ID tags... okey dokey.

Well, one can't immediately look for a microchip, can they? Unless
they carry a scanner around with them just incase they find a stray
cat...

[...]

If she's anything like me, the vet rountinely scans strays I bring in -
I forget to even mention it sometimes. They just do it. So I wouldn't
necessarily think to mention it in a thread like this, unless it popped
into my head. That doesn't mean I don't do it though, or rather, that
it isn't done. It's always done - intact cat or no. it's sort of SOP
for stray cats at most vets, AFAIK.

-L.

Old October 12th 05, 10:34 PM
Tony P.

In article ,
us says...
Suddenly, without warning,
exclaimed (11-Oct-05 8:07 PM):
[...]

I'd think that the fact the cat was sociable toward a human being meant
that someone obviously was owned by it.

Old October 13th 05, 09:33 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:34:48 -0400, Tony P.
wrote:

I'd think that the fact the cat was sociable toward a human being meant
that someone obviously was owned by it.

That would seem likely, but not always true.

Several years ago, my mom found an injured cat by the side of the
road. He been hit by a car. She took him to the vet. They gave him
some pain medication, and then tested him for dieseases to see if it
was even worth the effort to save him.

He had major head trauma, and was clearly a stray. Approximately 8
months old, only 6 lbs, and his build suggested a 9-10lb weight.

He tested okay, so the vet ahead and wired his broken jaw, swed up his
damaaged eye (definitely blinded, but hoping that it wouldn't have to
be surgically removed), and worked on his other issues. She also
neutered him at the same time.

During that waiting time, this cat, with serious head injuries, kept
pushing his head into my mom's hand. He was obviously a very friendly
cat.

Nobody claimed him, and we were very impressed with him, so we paid
the vet bill and brought him home. We tried to keep him secluded, but
that only lasted a day. He did not want to be locked away, so I put
him on my bed, and he was much happier.

He may have started out with a home, yet was already severely
underweight. He had to have been out on his own for awhile to have
lost that much weight.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography