Q. about Abscesses

Old June 9th 04, 02:29 PM
Sherry

Default Q. about Abscesses

Frank had an abscess on his shoulder about two weeks ago. The vet cleaned it
out, put him on antibiotics. We finished the antibiotics a few days ago. The
affected area looks really good; it's dry, scabbed over nicely and looks to be
healing. The curious thing is, the area still feels much warmer to the touch
than the rest of his body. Has anyone ever noticed that with an abscess?

Sherry
Old June 9th 04, 10:06 PM
Sherry

An abscess needs to drain and heal from the inside out. If it scabs over
too soon, it can trap the infection inside. A warm, wet compress will help
keep it open so it can drain. I think a call the vet is in order. He may
need to have it reopened and some more antibiotics.
Annie

I understand that. But when the vet opened it up, he debrided the tissue where
now it's just a hole. It's not red, not puffy. I really don't think there's any
more fluid in there. I guess I'll just call them. You may be right, another
round of antibiotics might be in order anyway. The warmness, I would think
would indicate some kind of infection. I just don't know if it's part of the
normal healing process for the area to remain warm.

Sherry

Old June 9th 04, 10:17 PM
Annie Wxill

"Sherry " wrote in message
..... I guess I'll just call them. You may be right, another
round of antibiotics might be in order anyway. The warmness, I would think
would indicate some kind of infection. I just don't know if it's part of

the
normal healing process for the area to remain warm.

Sherry

Better to find out if there is a problem now than to have to deal with a
bigger one later. But, best wishes for Frank to be fine, after all, and not
have to take any more medicine.
Annie

Old June 10th 04, 01:22 AM
Sherry

Are you sure it's not just that you can feel the warmth better at
that spot because there's no fur there? Alex's tummy used to feel
much warmer than the rest of him, but it was because he was bald
there. :-)

Laura
--

Well, duh. Double-duh. He has large shaved area around the wound. Put your
hand on his shoulder, and the entire shaved area is warmer to the touch than

I'll just be shutting up now.

Sherry

Old June 10th 04, 02:01 AM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote

As a weird aside, I used to love to rub or kiss Alex's bald tummy
because it was just so soft and warm and cute (had grey spots on it,
just like when the fur was there

Cheeks has the mackeral tabby spots on hers, and the place they shaved her
for her spay is still bald four years later, pink and smooth and spotted.
After I had had her for a few months I was petting her as she lay on her
side and she threw her leg back, clearly wanting me to pet her belly. I had
never seen a cat do this. I think the people at the shelter must have petted
her tummy.