Help please ! - temporarily adopted cat

Old August 4th 05, 02:27 PM
Daytona

"Snittens" wrote:

"Daytona" wrote

That's another issue - I think he's bored out of his mind, which is
maybe how he scratched my landlady in the first place - frustrated and
desperate for someone to play with. He is a great hunter - so he
probably gets most entertainment from that. What are the best toys
for cats ? I tied some bird feathers on some string and wave those
about but he rips them to pieces within seconds. It is impressive to
see cats in action like this.

Some of my cats' favorite things are the cat tower, nice and big, covered
with carpet and sisal for them to climb and scratch, fishing pole toys
(stick with a long string with feathers or some sort of toy at the end), and
little mousies that they can bat around. Another good toy is that circular
track with a ball or mouse in it that can't come out, I forget what it's
called, there was just a thread about it. You can check out some cool cat
toys at www.drsfostersmith.com.

Excellent - thanks - I'll go and buy some from the local pet store.

How ? Any pointers ? I'll do some Googling.

I don't know really, I just don't let them out. As in, doors are closed, if
I have them open in nice weather there are screens. Although I guess that's
another cultural thing, I heard in Europe you don't really have screens in
the windows and doors. Here they are a must with all the insects. I'm not
sure how you would do it with no screens.

There's no real need for screens in the UK, although were well used to
seeing them in films and when we go abroad - the only time they'd make
sense would be in the midge breeding season May to August in the wet
areas hilly areas of Scotland and Wales.

Interesting idea - thanks ! Although how you put them on without being
scratched is the interesting bit !

If he's easy to hold, you should be able to do it. The one cat I've used
them on (he tends to swipe at me sometimes and sticks his claws out when
kneading on me, ouch!) is not easy to handle so I take him to the vet to
have it done.

Thanks for the information - we're going to try and get some SoftPaws.
Apparently the infection was in a scratch, not a bite, although as
people have said, the infection could have come from anywhere.

Maybe spray some bitter apple on her
arms and legs.

I really appreciate the help - thanks!

Currently he's settled down after pitiful meowing to go out, just
lying there staring at me although he still half closes his eye's at
me which is something I guess !

John
Old August 4th 05, 02:27 PM
Daytona

rpl wrote:

I wouldn't use SoftPaws or blunt the nails on an outdoors cat. Cat
flaps are useful... don't know if your local wildlife will take
advantage of it... I've always imagined a cat flap in a window as being
better because 'coons and skunks wouldn't be tempted to climb.

Thanks Pat - there's no problem with the local wildlife using it -
only foxes, squirrels and rabbits could possibly try it and they never
have when I leave the door open in summer, and they avoid the cat
anyway !

Your landlord can do what people have been doing for millenia, just shoo
the cat with a broom; shouldn't take more than a couple days to catch
the hint.

Fair enough - we'll see what happens when she gets out of the house.

John
Old August 4th 05, 02:27 PM
Daytona

John wrote:

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:37:45 +0100, A strange species called Daytona
wrote:

I've just taken on responsibility for a ginger tom cat for a couple of
months that would otherwise have been put to sleep. He's name's Barney
- URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/JohnsStuff/Barney1.jpg.

He looks to have a healthy coat, nice colour. You must be feeding him
well

:-) he's what I'd call a perfect ginger tomcat. He's got wonderful
marking and I groom him whenever he want's it because I think that it
reassures him. I'm fascinated by the psychology !

He's eating well - about 3 x 100g/3.5oz meals a day.

Just let her know you're sorry the cat scratched her (even though it
is not really anyone's fault). Tell her that it will just be there
for a few more months then it will be going to her daughters. She
will understand, especially if it is her daughters adopted cat. Even
better, how is this for an idea.. make a small card for her with a
picture of Barney on the front with a red rose and text "just a note
to say...". Inside put "Sorry for scratching you love from Barney"
along with a paw print.

She knows what's happening and has agreed to it - I'd really like to
talk to her to get her feelings first hand though as I think I need to
arrange for him to be let out more frequently.

For the past 2 weeks it has spent much of its time with me and I feed
it at lunchtime - the daughter has been feeding it in the morning and
evening. For the first time, for 4 nights out of the last 5 it has
slept with me and has started bringing me the occasional gift of a
dead mouse/vole.

Fantastic! If he is bringing you presents he likes you! I wish our
cat Harvey would bring me more presents like that. He has only caught
one bird (today) that we know of in the last 6 months since moving
house.

He's 6 (human) years old and until he was about 4 unfortunately he
used to catch anything within reach. It's good to see a cat doing what
comes naturally - it's just unfortunate for the victims.

The daughter has said that she normally finds dead
mice in the house, but has noticed that he isn't bringing them in
there anymore.

Does this mean that he's accepted me as his new owner ?

No. He probably accepted you the minute you started feeding him If
we could all understand what cats think, I don't believe they would
look on the situation in terms of you being their owner. Cats will
get along with most people who feed them, play with them and are nice
to them.

g yeah, that sounds reasonable !

They are pretty self-sufficient though. They can look after
themselves to a large extent.

I admire that in them, kind've nice feeling that they're independent
beings.

The cat flap on his old house has now been blocked up and I have all
his bowls, food brushes, flea treatment etc

Is it possible/fair to attempt to keep him inside all day ?

No. I wouldn't recommend that. Let him continue to go outside. He
will have to stay confined indoors for up to one month anyway when he
is moved back with the landlady's daughter. He will almost certainly
start crying (meowing a lot) if you lock him indoors, and begging to
get outside. He would become lackluster and depressed. Don't worry
about him staying out all night once in a while.

OK

I think you're a top bloke by the sounds of it. Of course you are
called John so that explains a few things

lol!

Thanks for the info. !

John
Old August 4th 05, 02:27 PM
Daytona

Cheryl wrote:

On Wed 03 Aug 2005 08:37:45a, Daytona wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
) :

I've just taken on responsibility for a ginger tom cat for a
couple of months that would otherwise have been put to sleep.
He's name's Barney -
URL:http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/JohnsStuff/Barney1.jpg.
It's a weird situation and I don't have any experience of
looking after animals, so I'd appreciate any thoughts or
comments on how to handle it.

I just wanted to say what a beautiful orange boy he is! And, it
sounds like he has accepted you, so if it doesn't work out with the
daughter, you might have yourself a new owner.

g thanks Cheryl I'll let you know if it doesn't work out - the idea
of having him put to sleep repels me, as it's just an unfortunate
situation.

John
Old August 4th 05, 02:27 PM
Daytona

"JQ" wrote:

Poor kitty, he's just in need of real loving. You're dong the right
thing. Go pick up one of those circular floor ball things; the cat
pushes this ball around and around in this tube on the floor for cats
to try to chase, catch it. My cat loves it! He's constantly chasing
this ball and in the middle he can sit on it and scratch the cardboard.
I hope you know what I mean. They sell them everywhere where cat toys
are.

Thanks Jacquie I'll go out and buy one. Is this the type you mean -
URL:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11640&N=2002+113121
?

John
Old August 4th 05, 02:27 PM
Daytona

Cheryl wrote:

On Wed 03 Aug 2005 06:09:15p, John wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
) :

[...]
Even
better, how is this for an idea.. make a small card for her with
a picture of Barney on the front with a red rose and text "just
a note to say...". Inside put "Sorry for scratching you love
from Barney" along with a paw print.

[...]

What a sweet idea.

g it is, but I'd like to see how she feels first as she could take
it badly.

John
Old August 4th 05, 06:09 PM

Daytona wrote:

:-) he's what I'd call a perfect ginger tomcat.

All ginger Tom cats are perfect.

-L.

Old August 4th 05, 07:32 PM
Snittens

"John" wrote

Hogwash! I live in Great Britain. Britain is a small island with 62
Million population. I live in an urban area on a busy main road. Our
cat is let out all the time, day and night. Whenever he wants to go
out he can.

Well, here the traffic goes pretty fast and cats get run over. We also have
coyotes in this area. I don't feel it's safe in this type of environment to
let a cat out, especially at night.

What is a neighbour who doesn't like cats in his yard going to do? I
think you will generally find that most people don't really care. They
are not going to go to the trouble of running out the house every time
they see a cat in their back garden just to scare him off. Even if
there was the odd person that did, so what? Cat just moves elsewhere
and learns that patch isn't part of his range.

Poison the cat. It happens.

If the cat has 'never ever' been outside and has been artificially
confined to a life indoors, then the cat wouldn't know any different,
so even as a person who is against confinement of cats indoors I would
admit that wouldn't make a difference, although it would be nice for
them to get out and experience the real world and what normal cats
engage in. I would also say, even though I am against de-clawing, if
you have a cat that has been de-clawed, it would be cruel to not keep
them indoors permanently!

I agree. I am firmly against declawing, too.

That's a relief. What do they do when no body is in? Watch TV?
Entertain themselves? Or is someone always in?

They don't need me to entertain them 24/7. I don't have a webcam on when
I'm not home, but I imagine they play with each other, play with their toys,
or sleep.

It "would" be cruel to convert a cat who regularly goes outside and is
allowed to live the life a normal cat should live, and experience
outside life. Even keeping them inside for up to a month to get them
used to a new home after a move is a pretty traumatic and unsettling
period for a cat that has a routine and regularly ventures outside.
By the time their settling in period is up and the door to the outside
world is opened, you notice a remarkable difference. It makes them so
happy to get outside and explore once again. There mood changes from
one of depression and being withdrawn to being a happy active cat
again, one of a cat that is allowed to be a cat, and enjoy freedom.

Well, I volunteer at a shelter and have adopted out plenty of strays who
were used to living outside to indoor-only homes, and they adapt perfectly
fine.