Standing in Line at Petsmart

Old July 27th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

Default Standing in Line at Petsmart

I was behind a woman who had a bag of "Cat Attract" litter. (this is
litter that's supposed to actually
attract cats. It's used also for training kittens to use the
litterbox.)

She also had two Feliway diffusers, a gallon of Nature's Miracle, a
blacklight, and a new litterbox.

It wasn't hard to guess....she must have a cat who is wee-wee-ing
inappropriately. It obviously
isn't for lack of trying--her total was nearly $200 including some cat
food.

I felt kind of sorry for that kind of desperation. I wanted to strike
up a conversation and ask if she'd
had the cat tested for UTI, but figured she might not appreciate that.
(Which is weird that I can
strike up a conversation with all you folks, but not someone standing
next to me (???? )

Anyway, whoever she is, I hope on some cat-level, the offender gets a
jolt of realization and gets
a clue what a sweet deal he's got going, with an owner who's going to
those extremes to remedy
the problem. It just made me think about how many cats get
relinquished for this reason. I'd guess it's
definitely in the top 3 reasons that people turn pets over to
shelters. We've always been so lucky
that the resident 5 have impeccable bathroom habits. Except for Yoda,
but he consistently confines
his indiscretions to towels lying on the bathroom floor.

Sherry

Old July 27th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

If you ever see someone making those purchases again speak up. Many people
conclude they have a behavioral problem or the cat is spraying because
they've heard of those things but might not be aware of the variety of
urinary tract problems there could be and in some cases how easy it is to
remedy (change of food for example). The offender isn't off the hook yet and
still could end up minus his/her happy home if the $200+ doesn't solve the
problem.

Wendy

oups.com...

Old July 27th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was behind a woman who had a bag of "Cat Attract" litter. (this is
litter that's supposed to actually
attract cats. It's used also for training kittens to use the
litterbox.)

She also had two Feliway diffusers, a gallon of Nature's Miracle, a
blacklight, and a new litterbox.

It wasn't hard to guess....she must have a cat who is wee-wee-ing
inappropriately. It obviously
isn't for lack of trying--her total was nearly $200 including some cat
food.

I felt kind of sorry for that kind of desperation. I wanted to strike
up a conversation and ask if she'd
had the cat tested for UTI, but figured she might not appreciate that.
(Which is weird that I can
strike up a conversation with all you folks, but not someone standing
next to me (???? )

-----------
I don't like to assume, but this woman was informed and knowledgable about
Feliway, cat lights, Nature's Miracle, etc. I would suspect she has probably
already been to the vet and a UTI has been ruled out.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old July 27th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On Jul 27, 10:32 am, "Wendy" wrote:
If you ever see someone making those purchases again speak up. Many people
conclude they have a behavioral problem or the cat is spraying because
they've heard of those things but might not be aware of the variety of
urinary tract problems there could be and in some cases how easy it is to
remedy (change of food for example). The offender isn't off the hook yet and
still could end up minus his/her happy home if the $200+ doesn't solve the
problem.

Wendy

I wouldn't make that assumption of a total stranger. It would be just
as easy to assume,
like cindy, that this is a fairly knowledgeable cat owner who
obviously is putting forth
much effort on the problem. I'd even go as far to assume that a
veterinarian is probably
where she got the recommendations for the products she was buying.
But who knows? I just thought it was curious how *obvious* her problem
was, given the
specific assortment of purchases. I've got enough to worry about at
home without
worrying about total strangers ... :-)

Sherry

Old July 27th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"cindys" wrote in message

"Sherry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Or did a web search for cat peeing and hasn't even talked to the vet about
the problem yet.

I don't assume either way any more, I ask. Many people think that just
because they recently took the cat to the vet for the usual check-up that it
can't be a medical problem.

Old July 28th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Laurie

Sherry wrote:
On Jul 27, 10:32 am, "Wendy" wrote:
[...]

LOL - that could have been me not too long ago... we had added a new male
cat to the mix here and despite both everykitty in the house being fixed and
staged intros, both male cats took to peeing in inappropriate places. The
house is now divided and everyone is back to doing what they should...the
rest of us just have to remember to keep doors shut and put up with the
yowling from whichever of the two boys wants to be on the other side at any
given moment. :-)

Neither lost their home - and we've since rescued another kitten (female) so
we are at 4. The earliest resident male gets along well with the 2 female
cats and the dog - the other male lives with me in the master suite. :-)

Laurie

Old July 28th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
w[_2_]

I have a male cat that sprayed everywhere even though he is neutered.
As soon as I took a stray male kitten in he stopped. Hasn't done it
since.
Old July 28th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut

What purchases?!?! It is nice when people at least include the
original post so others know what is being talked about.

If you ever see someone making those purchases again speak up. Many
people conclude they have a behavioral problem or the cat is

Off-line for a while [email protected] Cat anecdotes 7 June 29th 07 08:23 PM
Back on line Susan M Cat anecdotes 8 January 28th 07 10:31 PM
Line of Demarcation? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 5 March 9th 06 11:15 AM
whats the best furniture for standing up to cat claws? RobR Cat health & behaviour 27 June 21st 05 07:06 PM
Correction: Abelard Found STANDING in pool..... Pat Cat anecdotes 54 July 22nd 04 05:12 AM