Littermaid Question

Old October 19th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default Littermaid Question

Okay... We got a littermaid, automatic litterbox cleaner. Works like
a dream.

My question, to any who have one (or more) these. At what point does
your cat *stop* jumping in and jumping out, just to watch it run?
Pandora and Smeagol think this is the mostest fun ever. Meowmie
doesn't mind horribly, but she does mind at 2:00, 2:10, 2:20, 2:30 am
(and so on and so forth). Until about 5:00 am, then they are back to
normal.

Then the cycle starts again around 4:00 pm until about 7:00 pm. Now,
I realize it's something new, it makes an interesting noise, and it
moves on its own. It's better than a toy mousie that they have to
throw around *themselves* (heaven forbid).

Just wondering if they will lose interest in making it run, for no
good reason?

Smokie Darling (Annie)

Hey, it fixed the "outside the litterbox urination" problem for
Jebediah. He's been aiming much better now, and he really likes the
automatic box 'cause then he has doesn't have to actually "cover"
anything (the little snot) anymore.
Old October 19th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Oct 18, 7:20*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Oct 18, 6:52*pm, "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:

[...]

ROFL - your cats are a lot smarter than any others I happen to know
who
have that thing. Of course, there is no prize for this
distinction......

Oooh, boy, I have "smart" cats. Bummer. The only prize I want to
give them is to dump that handy-dandy little plastic box over their
heads. I won't, obviously, I just want to see the light at the end of
the tunnel.

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old October 19th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
Okay... We got a littermaid, automatic litterbox cleaner. Works like
a dream.

My question, to any who have one (or more) these. At what point does
your cat *stop* jumping in and jumping out, just to watch it run?

Mine don't usually do that, but often before it cycles, the next cat
will decide to use the box, too. Then the first other one has to examine
it, followed by a second examination by the second user.... Since it is
designed to postpone action if there is a cat in the box, it's often a
lot more than the programmed "ten minutes" before the box actually gets
a chance to do its thing!

I've learned to sleep through a single cycling, but if their scratching
piles the litter too unevenly, instead of resting at the end of the
cycle, the thing starts up again. (It is supposed to stop and blink its
light if there's a problem that prevents it shutting down, but in my
experience it will just keep going until I get in the bathroom and
re-distribute the litter so it doesn't pile up at the wrong end.) I'm
afraid if I let it go too long, the motor will burn out (and the darn
things are NOT cheap) so if it cycles more than once, I'm up and into
the bathroom before I'm even awake!
Old October 19th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

hopitus wrote:

ROFL - your cats are a lot smarter than any others I happen to know
who
have that thing. Of course, there is no prize for this
distinction......

Mine have adapted to it quite well, except that Melisande still manages
to sometimes perch her rear so her "deposits" fall outside of the box
(where of course the rake assembly doesn't reach, so they must be
removed from the floor with a tissue and placed in the box by hand).
Even more annoying is when she makes her deposit on the LID of the waste
receptacle, and I don't happen to go in the bathroom to notice it before
the rake does its thing. Then, since the receptacle lid opens toward
the outside of the box to allow access to the rake, it throws poop into
the middle of the bathroom floor! (Hopefully I see it BEFORE I step in it.)
Old October 19th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Oct 18, 8:42*pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
[...]

We've had it "hang up" once. Hubby is used to putting "lots" of
litter in the manual box, so it couldn't run back to the rest
position. I had to go in, turn it off, fix the litter (and remove the
excess, directly into a manual box), and then turn it back on. Went
back to rest position and was fine. Showed hubby the red 'full' line,
and told him what happened, so he's been very careful grin. It was
cheaper on Amazon than at the local PetSmart.
Old October 19th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

When one of my three used it, they all had to and I had it for a year before
I switched to these pellets and pads for the urine in the bottom.

O T would make these big piles of LITTER and then it would not trigger
right. I got tired of having to go in and spread it out again. It is
going to Lee's house at then end of this month.

Old October 19th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Oct 19, 1:53*pm, "Granby" wrote:
When one of my three used it, they all had to and I had it for a year before
I switched to these pellets and pads for the urine in the bottom.

O T would make these big piles of LITTER and then it would not trigger
right. *I got tired of having to go in and spread it out again. * It is
going to Lee's house at then end of this month.

I really like it, since I am not a big fan of cleaning the litter
boxes. We have Quicksands, which aren't available around here
anymore. Those were the ones with the the three boxes with slotted
bottoms, that were placed in opposite directions. Works great for
cleaning out, except when you have a cat that likes to "dig to China"
to potty. Then the urine just ran out the slots, and if you misplace
one box, you have a big ole mess the clean up (fortunately, it's just
the litter, but still). Anyway, those are splitting and cracking, so
we have to find a replacement.

I think once I get used to the sound, and Pandy gets tired of playing,
then it should be just great. Right now, though, we are dealing with
sleep deprivation.

wrote:
Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
[...]

cheaper on Amazon than at the local PetSmart.- Hide quoted text -

Old October 19th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

hopitus wrote:
On Oct 18, 9:07 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
hopitus wrote:
ROFL - your cats are a lot smarter than any others I happen to know
who
have that thing. Of course, there is no prize for this
distinction......

Mine have adapted to it quite well, except that Melisande still manages
to sometimes perch her rear so her "deposits" fall outside of the box
(where of course the rake assembly doesn't reach, so they must be
removed from the floor with a tissue and placed in the box by hand).
Even more annoying is when she makes her deposit on the LID of the waste
receptacle, and I don't happen to go in the bathroom to notice it before
the rake does its thing. Then, since the receptacle lid opens toward
the outside of the box to allow access to the rake, it throws poop into
the middle of the bathroom floor! (Hopefully I see it BEFORE I step in it.)

In deference to my respect and admiration of your musical background
and
accomplishments much more rewarding toward a segment of humanity far
more appreciative than the small portion I contributed my working
years to,
I do hereby refrain from ROFL rudely at your last sentence, however
hysterical
it may strike me. Cats have a sense of humor; I don't care what anyone
says
otherwise.

You may have a point, there! ;-) (It never occurred to me it might be
deliberate!)