Another bath for Billy

Old April 7th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Another bath for Billy

Christina Websell wrote:

Any ideas for caring for the coat of a very old cat without distressing us
both by bathing her? I'm not really up for being slashed to pieces which is
definitely on the cards if I attempt to put her in water.

A bran bath works nicely. Get some dry bran (from a supermarket) and
heat until hand-hot/body temp in microwave or very low oven. Hot enough
to warm, but not enough to scald. Now get the bran in your hands and
massage it into the base of the coat as much as you can, and work it in
all over but especially on her back and flanks, as much as she will let
you, for as long as she will tolerate it. Brush it all out gently. If
she will allow, stroke her fur with a soft cloth, chamois or just your
hand to smooth and shine the coat.The hot bran absorbs some of the
grease and dirt without the stress of a bath. Repeat on a regular basis.

This is obviously a bit messy so I think if you can stand her in a place
you can sweep, or in an empty bath, it will make life easier! I used
this on an elderly foster cat who came in with undiagnosed hyperthyroid
and had several layers of unshed fur - several bags of dead fur later
and a bran bath, she looked much better!

HTH

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old April 7th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
"Marina" wrote

Pat wrote:
He got poopie stuck in the fur under his tail again. He was almost
as good as his sister in the bath. Only difference is he cried a
little bit and made a few small moves toward getting out of the
tub, but he never put out a claw.

You're amazing! When I think of the fight when I had to dip Mir and
Cal in the ringworm dip... I never want to have to do that again.
And I wasn't even holding them, my sister was, while I rubbed the
stuff into their fur.

Billy and Lily are pretty amazing, too. I am honored that they trust
me as much as they apparently do.

I think you and the cats are very fortunate to share each others lives.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 8th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

"Christina Websell" wrote

Any ideas for caring for the coat of a very old cat without distressing
us both by bathing her? I'm not really up for being slashed to pieces
which is definitely on the cards if I attempt to put her in water.

Cats naturally dislike being wet and being forced to do anything, so the
trick to bathing them is to make it pleasurable to them, or at least not
unpleasant. That means, make the way you handle the cat into a show of
affection, and don't scare them with the water.

You might try this... one time only... see how it goes. I think if you're
sensitive and know your kitty well, it just might work. I have been able
to bath almost any reluctant cat this way without being harmed:

First of all you must be in the bathtub *with* the cat... Bring her into
the bathroom with you and close the door. Sit there (outside the tub) with
her while you run about five gallons of warm water into the tub. Hang up
your clothes and put a couple of large bath towels on the floor ready to
grab, then pick up kitty and hold her like a baby as you step into the tub
and slowly sit down. At this stage kitty has no idea there is even water
in the tub. The water needs to be off while you are getting in and sitting
down.

Once you are settled into the tub holding kitty, let her tail dangle into
the water a bit. If she doesn't start tearing you to pieces then slowly
let her back feet get wet. Ideally you would be sitting cross-legged in
the low end of the tub with some little bit of water under your legs, and
you set kitty down in that opening in your lap where the warm water is
just about half an inch deep.

If this works out well, then just play it by ear, grab a handful of water
in one hand and hold the scruff of kitty's neck in the other just to
steady her as you gently release a little water on her back and rub it in.

Keep this up until the kitty is wet to the skin all over with warm water.
If you can run more water slowly and quietly into the tub without scaring
her, it helps, to keep the water nice and warm, which cats like. The
shampoo will penetrate better and be easier to spread around if the cat is
already completely wet, too.

Don't go on to the shampooing stage unless you're sure you can keep
control of the cat. It's pretty easy if you've gone really slow up to that
stage and have not let kitty become spooked. If she is a little bit
spooked, you can calm her down by talking softly and gently to her and
holding the scruff of her neck with one hand and rubbing her with the
other hand (working in the shampoo).

The end stage is the hardest, you must drain the tub and then pour fresh
warm water over the kitty to rinse out the soap. Ideally you would have a
couple of one-gallon plastic jugs already filled with warm water and
sitting within easy reach of your free hand.

Finally, after kitty is well rinses, pick her up and stand up in the tub,
squeeze the excess water out of her legs and tail, then set her on one of
the towels, still holding the scruff of her neck, and grab the other towel
and toss it over her back, then rub her dry.

Thank you for taking the trouble to advise me on this. However there is
absolutely NO WAY I am going to take my clothes off and get in a bath with
Kitty Farmcat to try and wash her.
Unless I have an urge to go to the hospital, which I don't ;-)
She is semi-feral.
My bathroom is upstairs. My cats are not allowed upstairs but they do break
the rule sometimes.
She would freak out if I took her upstairs - which she thinks isn't
allowed - and if I put her in the bath up there and ran water on her, she
might have a heart attack at her advanced age.

Tweed

Old April 9th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

It's very nice of you to take the trouble to explain this procedure so
thoroughly, Pat. Thank you.
However, you seem to be suggesting that I get into the bath *naked* with KFC
and try to bath her. faints at the thought..
Bear in mind that she was feral for years, any handling is on *her* terms
and even grooming her can be a challenge. Add to that, she is grumpy most
of the time, has at least a million claws and even though she has lost all
her incisor teeth now, she still has her fangs and will use them if she is
held against her will.
Sorry, I'm not brave enough!!

Tweed

Old April 9th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I think Kitty might tolerate this if I chose a time she was awake (she
sleeps an awful lot now) and started to croon to her and pet her before I
rubbed the bran in.

She likes being petted if I talk to her in a high silly voice while I do it,
like people sometimes talk to babies. It's the only way I can get her to
let me groom her.
Boyfie will also only let me handle or groom him if I use this voice.
There has to be a continual running commentary "Oh, what a lovely cat, just
let me comb you, oh, that's so nice, isn't it? what a good boy/girl you
are, you are so pretty, doesn't that feel good?" etc etc, make it up as I go
along.

It is so different from grooming my dogs. I would call one by name and the
chosen one would appear. "Stand just here and stay still for a while" I
would say. ~so they did, were groomed in a matter of minutes as they were
short-haired and returned to whatever they were doing before I called them.
So easy!

Tweed

Gave Pua her first Ringworm bath kilikini Cat anecdotes 19 September 8th 05 11:12 PM
[OT] but I still think Bath Bombs will appeal to the wimmenz Duke of URL Cat anecdotes 12 April 29th 05 05:55 PM
Cat "bath wipes" jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 December 21st 03 09:13 AM
My Bath Gizela Cat anecdotes 2 December 18th 03 08:17 AM
Vera & Lola Bath Night......... Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 2 August 12th 03 01:01 PM