OT WARNING

Old August 21st 03, 09:37 PM
Karen Chuplis

Default OT WARNING

It's a hoax:

http://www.itd.umich.edu/virusbuster...s/virtual.html

(which is a semi amusing read)

"bunny_baby" wrote in message
(08/21/03 4:01 AM EDT) bigedd3k: this true?WORST VIRUS EVER--CNN
ANNOUNCED
PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST !!
A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered

yesterday
afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This virus

simply
destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its
functioning are stored.
This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to
all contacts on your list with the title "A Card for You".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer freezes so

that
the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are
pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the
hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New
York, according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an
employee of Microsoft itself.
So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You."
As soon as you get the mail, delete it!! Even if you know the sender!!!
Please pass this mail to all of your friends.
Forward this to everyone in your address book. I'm sure most
people, like myself, would rather receive this notice 25 times than not

at
al

--
April :-)

http://community.webshots.com/user/bowmanzoo

Old August 21st 03, 10:28 PM
MaryL

"bunny_baby" wrote in message
(08/21/03 4:01 AM EDT) bigedd3k: this true?WORST VIRUS EVER--CNN
ANNOUNCED
PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST !!
A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered

yesterday
afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed.
--
April :-)

April,

This one is a hoax. Here is what Symantec (Norton) says about it:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...d.for.you.html

MaryL

Old August 21st 03, 10:45 PM
bunny_baby

"MaryL" wrote in message

"bunny_baby" wrote in message
(08/21/03 4:01 AM EDT) bigedd3k: this true?WORST VIRUS EVER--CNN
ANNOUNCED
PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST !!
A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered

yesterday
afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed.
--
April :-)

April,

This one is a hoax. Here is what Symantec (Norton) says about it:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...d.for.you.html

MaryL#

I am so very sorry, I honestly did not know it was a hoax and if I had of I
would not have posted it. I got sent it today. Very sorry

Old August 21st 03, 11:25 PM
Brenda Watkins

"bunny_baby" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message

"bunny_baby" wrote in message
(08/21/03 4:01 AM EDT) bigedd3k: this true?WORST VIRUS EVER--CNN
ANNOUNCED
PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST !!
A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered

yesterday
afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed.
--
April :-)

April,

This one is a hoax. Here is what Symantec (Norton) says about it:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...d.for.you.html

MaryL#

I am so very sorry, I honestly did not know it was a hoax and if I had of

would not have posted it. I got sent it today. Very sorry

No need to apologize - better safe than sorry!
Brenda

Old August 22nd 03, 02:34 AM
MaryL

"bunny_baby" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message

"bunny_baby" wrote in message
(08/21/03 4:01 AM EDT) bigedd3k: this true?WORST VIRUS EVER--CNN
ANNOUNCED
PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST !!
A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered

yesterday
afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed.
--
April :-)

April,

This one is a hoax. Here is what Symantec (Norton) says about it:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...d.for.you.html

MaryL#

I am so very sorry, I honestly did not know it was a hoax and if I had of

would not have posted it. I got sent it today. Very sorry

You don't need to apologize. No harm was done, and you were trying to help.

I get lots of warnings like that, and I try to check Symantec's (Norton)
Security Response or one of the other "hoax" lists before I take any action.
Here is the basic link for Symantec:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

I also have the URLs for a number of other locations to check on hoaxes and
urban legends. If anyone wants the list, I will be glad to send it.

Thanks for trying to help!

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56