Tragic Mistake

Old November 8th 03, 03:39 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Karen" wrote in message
Most likely realized that it was a mistake. I would require that to make

it
up to me the vet provide pamphlets on declawing in the waiting room and

stop
by out of the blue to make sure they carry it out. Phil has a pdf that

can
be printed out on his site at maxshouse.com.

Karen

That's what I was thinking, too, except I might request that the vet no
longer declaw cats, as well, and should also educate his clients of the
negative aspects of declawing. Providing a pamphlet is one method, but
speaking directly to people is another and one that is much more direct.
But I think I would probably first ask the vet what he felt would be
adequate compensation. I don't mean in terms of money, but what he felt he
should do to make up for the mistake. Sometimes it's very effective to have
the guilty party determine his own punishment--he can be much harsher than
anyone else. And he probably feels worse about the situation than anyone
else, including the owner of the cat.

I don't think money (suing or asking for monetary compensation) is really
going to help. But asking him to advocate against declawing would have a
much more beneficial outcome. I'm not sure I would lodge a formal complaint
at this stage. I would try to find out if any similar complaints had been
made about him, though. I'm starting to think everyone should check if
their vets have had complaints lodged against them. I wonder if that
information is available to the public.

Oh, I also think that the vet should be willing to cover any future problems
the cat may have that could be related to the declawing. For example, if
the cat starts peeing inappropriately, then the vet should cover the costs
of Feliway or possibly even the costs of new carpet.

rona

Old November 8th 03, 03:43 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message
news

That's what I was thinking, too, except I might request that the vet no
longer declaw cats, as well, and should also educate his clients of the
negative aspects of declawing. Providing a pamphlet is one method, but
speaking directly to people is another and one that is much more direct.

Hmm, how's that for redundancy? It was supposed to be "speaking directly to
people in another and one that is much more *powerful*."

Sigh!

rona

Old November 8th 03, 03:47 AM
Mary

"Cheryl" wrote in message

This is criminal and should be reported. In Maryland the place to
make veterinary complaints is the Dept of Agriculture. Yesterday

when
I had Shamrock in for his dental I asked them to also clip his claws
and I had awful thoughts of them misunderstanding me and declawing
him. I guess I've read this same story on the groups a few times.

wonder why they only did one and not both?

Cheryl--they both had collars on with their names. When my friend
picked them up she did not look in the carriers. It was on the way
home when she did that she saw that instead of her one little girl
tabby she had a big silver tabby male. Yet he was wearing her collar.
She took him back to the vet, they had her go back and identify her
cat, and made the discovery. The vet said the collars are taken off
before surgery. If it really is criminal, how should she proceed?

Old November 8th 03, 03:48 AM
Sherry

Mary wrote:
Unbelievably, my friend took two eight-month-old rescue sister tabbies
in to a Central Florida vet to be spayed, and when she returned for
her babies they had declawed one of them. The vet called tonight and
told her he will do "whatever it takes" to make this up to her. All
she can do is cry.

Ideas?

I thought maybe make his give a ton of money to a no-kill shelter--or,
she gets a lawyer and donates any funds collected. She is heartsick as
am I.

It's sad, it's outrageous that this happened. Unfortunately, mistakes like that
aren't limited to vets. Ihave a friend who had knee surgery *on the wrong knee*
last year. I would be curious to hear what kind of offer the vet makes. Free
lifetime vet care for both cats?

Sherry

Old November 8th 03, 03:50 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Sherry " wrote in message
Mary wrote:
Unbelievably, my friend took two eight-month-old rescue sister tabbies
in to a Central Florida vet to be spayed, and when she returned for
her babies they had declawed one of them. The vet called tonight and
told her he will do "whatever it takes" to make this up to her. All
she can do is cry.

Ideas?

I thought maybe make his give a ton of money to a no-kill shelter--or,
she gets a lawyer and donates any funds collected. She is heartsick as
am I.

It's sad, it's outrageous that this happened. Unfortunately, mistakes like

that
aren't limited to vets. Ihave a friend who had knee surgery *on the wrong

knee*
last year.

I've read that people are now advised to write (w/ a marker) on their body
parts things like "Yes, this one!" and "No, not this one!", since apparently
this sort of mistake has been made way more often that one would think.

I would be curious to hear what kind of offer the vet makes. Free
lifetime vet care for both cats?

That would be reasonable, IMO.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old November 8th 03, 04:11 AM
teri

OMG, that is horrible!!! That poor kitty! I would flip out if a vet ever
did that to one of my cats. But I guess it's done so the only recourse to make
this sick monster pay with money.

Sick monster??? Bit harsh you gotta admit.
More like a vet and staff who made a mistake. It shouldn't happen,
but it does happen to the best of us. But he called her, took
responsibility for his actions, and "offered to do whatever it takes
to make it up to her", which to me shows integrity.

Teri