I went to the cat show at the Garden (plus Cloning rant)

Old October 11th 04, 07:22 PM
dgk

Default I went to the cat show at the Garden (plus Cloning rant)

The cat show was at Madison Square Garden this year and we went. Lots
of weird looking cats. We sat though the judging of the Best Kitten Of
Show. Apparently 4 months to 8 months old. Thus many types were
represented instead of one of the Best Of Breed judgings. I was
rooting for the Maine Coon but he came in 8th out of the 15. A
hairless ratty looking one came in second. Lots of wrinkles said the
judge. First place was that type with the pushed in face, Persian. I
think they look strange and not altogether happy. No offense to
Persian lovers intended.

I felt somewhat out of place since I really prefer my mutts and think
that they are cuter than almost all of the purebreds. But I did like
the Norwegian Forest Cats and the Maine Coons. I'm sort of partial to
the MCs because my Nipsy seems to have an awful lot of MC in him. One
of them looked like a small freight train. Twenty-six pounds and not
overweight.

Quite a good variety of stuff for free (signed TShirt by some famous
Cat artist, IAMS, MeowMix, LitterBox de-scenter) plus stuff to buy (my
cats do love that Cat Caviar made from Bonita). I'll keep the MeowMix
for a treat, wouldn't want to feed that as a normal diet!

There was an exhibit of cloned cats, numbers two and three in the
world. Both from the same "parent". They did look identical. They were
presented on the hour for ten minutes and we walked in just at 4pm so
got the whole lecture. I asked about complications from mitochondria
DNA but they said that they hadn't detected any problems. Mitochondria
DNA is inherited only from the mother and is not replaced by just
de-nucleating the cell. Time will tell.

I don't like the whole idea of cloning cats. The clone may be
genetically identical but is not going to have the same behavior. Too
many other factors such as hormones and environment are involved.
Plus, there are SO many cats that need a home it just seems absurd to
duplicate one. Still, I would have done it to get another Nico if it
didn't cost too much. Oh well. I have Nipsy, Espy, and Jackie instead
of Nico2.

I heard this morning on the radio that ten people had placed clone
orders. No price was given during the show for actually making the
clone, but a brochure had prices of $800-$1300 for saving the DNA,
plus a $100 per year storage free. The 800-1300 depended on the
condition of your cat. Apparently healthy ones are 800, dead ones are
1300. Not clear on whether it can be done post-cremation :-)

I'd guess the real charge is $100,000 or so but I really don't know.
Don't quote me.

DOG LOVERS! They said they should be able to do dogs in a year or two.
They haven't quite gotten the bone burying thing down yet.

Oddly enough, juxtaposed to the Cloning Department (downstairs from
the main event) was the Adopt-A-Thon. Out of guilt I guess. Many
people were leaving with absolutely free lovable furkids rather than
placing orders for clones or buying the purebreds. Cardboard carrier
after cardboard carrier were seen leaving the scene.

Thus ends my report on the Cat Show.
Old October 11th 04, 08:01 PM
ceb

dgk wrote in
:

Thus ends my report on the Cat Show.

It sounds like fun, although I sympathize with your feelings, both about
preferring mutts and about cloning. All the pets I've had as an adult have
been mutts, although my childhood pets were all "purebred," go figure (my
mother preferred purebreds).

Cloning's just creepy. Wouldn't one get caught in a weird, unnatural sort
of time warp or something?... I'm imagining clone after clone of my first
cats, never really completely mourning their loss or differentiating them
from their successors, never having completely new relationships with
completely new cats -- it would just be too weird.

--Catherine
& Rosalie the one-of-a-kind calicohead

Old October 12th 04, 02:38 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , dgk at
wrote on 10/11/04 1:22 PM:

[...]

I saw them on the Morning Show this week. I think they said it was around
10,000. They cannot clone dogs yet. Said they are the most difficult, more
difficult than even humans. Nope, I'm not a fan of it either. Not when I see
kittens and cats being given up every where

Old October 12th 04, 07:27 AM
Cat Protector

How did the Bombays do? I absolutely love those cats and am lucky enough to
have one with Isis. Of course I now have a Japanese Bobtail as well which
are neat cats but they can be vocal and outspoken. Did they show the
household cats (HHP Category)?

As for the cloning portion, I think this only adds to the overpopulation
problem. I have to wonder why people would want cloned cats when there are
so many cats that are awaiting adoption at shelters. As for the adoption
even as part of the cat show, that seems to be the norm but I am a bit
skeptical about the free cat part since some cats could end up in the hands
of potential animal abusers. What organization had the cats for adoption?

For those who have never been to a cat show, it is a great experience. You
meet lots of cat lovers and find out a lot of information about certain
breeds. The HHP category is a great way to show off your cat. The first time
I attended a cat show was almost 2 years ago and it was nice experience. I
got to show off Isis in Jade as an exhibiter in the Education Ring. The last
show I was at I competed in the HHP category with Isis. She did well up
until the 4th ring when a cat that was not supposed to benched next to her
took a swipe at one of the judges which set her off hissing and spitting.
The next day she was a bit calmer and finished the show ok.

This weekend I am going to my third show with Icarus. I think he'll do ok
considering he is still in the kitten stage. The thing about the HHP
category is that the judges really don't say anything about the cats. All of
the cats usually get a Merit Award and most get ribbons depending on how
many are entered. The one thing to remember also is that the shows are
usually non-vetted shows so if you intend on showing off your cat make sure
they are up to date on shots. Rabies and FVRCPC (4 in 1) shots should be
sufficient.

One also has to remember that at a cat show, never touch the cats unless
given permission by their humans. A lot of the felines have been bathed and
groomed for the show. It is also to prevent the spread of germs from cat to
cat which is why you will see the judges disinfecting their hands after
handling each cat. They also will wipe off the show platform (where the
judge examines the cat being shown) with disinfectant as well after each cat
has been on it. They also wipe down the cages after each cat in the ring as
well when each showing is done.

Another thing is taking pictures. While a lot of the shows allow you take
pictures, it is better to ask the cat's human if you can take a picture
especially if you are going to get up close with a flash. Some cats can get
awfully nervous as result.

Another thing you might see and hear at a cat show is when someone yells
"Cat Out!" You'll see people scrambling to close the exhibit hall doors
while the cat's human tries to catch the escaping cat. I have seen only a
couple of times where a cat got out of his or her cage but they are usually
safely caught and returned. It is all a part of the excitement of the cat
show but I'd say going to one as a spectator is a nice experience. It is
even better when you are showing a cat.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old October 12th 04, 03:16 PM
Sherry

For those who have never been to a cat show, it is a great experience. You
meet lots of cat lovers and find out a lot of information about certain
breeds.

Cat shows are okay, but I didn't care much for them. I found all but a handful
of owners to be snooty and pretentious, and I couldn't really talk to them
because it was like talking to someone from another planet--that's how
different our basic beliefs were.
Points for having great vendors. I spent a bundle on unusual cat toys and
products.
Points for allowing local rescue org.'s to have one area of cages for an
adopt-a-thon and passing out literature.
Points *off* to a few people who showed their cats in HHP. Some people don't
understand that having a beautiful cat isn't sufficient reason to show it. The
cats have to be well-socialized and accustomed to outings, or they're
miserable.
The one person in particular showing in HHP I wanted to smack was a woman who
had "Beanie Baby Cattery" on her cage. Had cards printed, kittens available to
sell, the whole nine yards, just like the regular breeders. Only they were
moggies. She was nothing more than a collector, and she got a forum to show it
off???
LIke I heard some comedian say recently, "I had the right to remain silent, but
I lacked the ability."

Sherry

Sherry