I went to the cat show at the Garden (plus Cloning rant)

Old October 12th 04, 03:16 PM
Sherry

For those who have never been to a cat show, it is a great experience. You
meet lots of cat lovers and find out a lot of information about certain
breeds.

Cat shows are okay, but I didn't care much for them. I found all but a handful
of owners to be snooty and pretentious, and I couldn't really talk to them
because it was like talking to someone from another planet--that's how
different our basic beliefs were.
Points for having great vendors. I spent a bundle on unusual cat toys and
products.
Points for allowing local rescue org.'s to have one area of cages for an
adopt-a-thon and passing out literature.
Points *off* to a few people who showed their cats in HHP. Some people don't
understand that having a beautiful cat isn't sufficient reason to show it. The
cats have to be well-socialized and accustomed to outings, or they're
miserable.
The one person in particular showing in HHP I wanted to smack was a woman who
had "Beanie Baby Cattery" on her cage. Had cards printed, kittens available to
sell, the whole nine yards, just like the regular breeders. Only they were
moggies. She was nothing more than a collector, and she got a forum to show it
off???
LIke I heard some comedian say recently, "I had the right to remain silent, but
I lacked the ability."

Sherry

Sherry
Old October 12th 04, 03:29 PM
dgk

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:27:18 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

How did the Bombays do? I absolutely love those cats and am lucky enough to
have one with Isis. Of course I now have a Japanese Bobtail as well which
are neat cats but they can be vocal and outspoken. Did they show the
household cats (HHP Category)?

I didn't see a household cat category but we weren't there all that
long. The cat breeds seem to be segregated by aisle. I did see some
Bombays and they are black indeed. I really liked the Birmans. Very
fluffy. I never even heard of them before.

As for the cloning portion, I think this only adds to the overpopulation
problem. I have to wonder why people would want cloned cats when there are
so many cats that are awaiting adoption at shelters. As for the adoption
even as part of the cat show, that seems to be the norm but I am a bit
skeptical about the free cat part since some cats could end up in the hands
of potential animal abusers. What organization had the cats for adoption?

I didn't pay attention but they must have been reputable. I'm not sure
that it was completely free. Even adopting out of my local pet store
there is usually a charge to help cover the shots and neutering. Mine
charged $30, which is very reasonable.

Another thing you might see and hear at a cat show is when someone yells
"Cat Out!" You'll see people scrambling to close the exhibit hall doors
while the cat's human tries to catch the escaping cat. I have seen only a
couple of times where a cat got out of his or her cage but they are usually
safely caught and returned. It is all a part of the excitement of the cat
show but I'd say going to one as a spectator is a nice experience. It is
even better when you are showing a cat.

I saw quite a few cats lying around in cages with the doors open or on
tables outside of the cage. Most didn't look like they wanted to go
anywhere but I suppose some panic with all the strangers and other
cats around. All in all they looked pretty comfortable.

Old October 12th 04, 03:54 PM
Orchid

wrote:

How did the Bombays do? I absolutely love those cats and am lucky enough to
have one with Isis.

Didn't you find Isis as a stray?

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old October 12th 04, 05:45 PM
Cat Protector

Nope. I adopted her from the Humane Society.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old October 12th 04, 10:51 PM
Orchid

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:45:09 -0700, "Cat Protector"
wrote:

Nope. I adopted her from the Humane Society.

Right. CP, I am sorry to break it to you, but Isis is not a
Bombay. She's a very pretty black self DSH with gold eyes which is
perfectly, absolutely, wonderfully fine. Her type is nothing like a
Bombay.
Shelters tend to hang breed names on anything that even
superficially vaguely resembles a breed to make them more adoptable.
This practise is really stupid, and drives me insane.

Old October 12th 04, 11:24 PM
Cat Protector

I hate to burst your bubble but yes she is a Bombay. She was not originally
labeled a Bombay at the shelter but a DSH. I discovered that Isis was a
Bombay later when someone pointed out the breed in a book on cats. The cat
pictured looked just like Isis. I also had her breed verified at a cat show
by a breeder of Bombays which said that Isis is one. Maybe not the show
quality to compete amongst other purebreds because she was a rescue but a
Bombay nonetheless. Are you going to say that a book on cats as well as a
breeder of Bombays is also wrong.

I also take offense to your saying "her type." It kind of seems like you
think that the cats found at shelters such as her are not worthy of being
adopted and are beneath you adopting. I myself love shelter cats and don't
have a problem adopting from rescue whether they be a purebred or not. All 3
of my cats were rescues.

I know you like to come across as an expert on cats Orchid but purebreds can
end up in shelters. It is becoming a lot more common and a lot of shelters
don't need to give a cat a breed name in order to adopt them out. In fact I
have seen Persians, Russian Blues, and other breeds turn up at local
rescues. I have to wonder how you can come to such outrageous conclusions
that shelters give cats a breed title in order to get them adopted? Believe
it or not they also have shelters that rescue certain breeds. Are you
intending on writing them and saying that the cats up for adoption are not
purebreds either but rather DSH, longhairs or medium hairs?

I have to wonder how you got your Bengals. Did you get them from a shelter
or from a breeder? They are beautiful cats but I have to wonder how you came
across them.