Canned food - prices

Old October 17th 04, 08:15 PM
Rhonda

Default Canned food - prices

I am thinking of changing our herd of cats over to wet food. We had a
diabetic cat a few years ago; that's when I first heard the argument
that dry food has more carbs than a cat needs and possibly contributes
to diabetes.

My question -- with 8 cats of various ages, is there a good, affordable
wet food? I priced the premium wet foods at somewhere around $1.58 for
13 oz. Does anyone know of a more economical price, perhaps shipped? How
about somewhere that sells larger cans than 13 oz?

Friskies wet is cheap at WalMart, but I don't know if cheap wet is
better than a more premium dry food. Carb-wise yes, but haven't checked
out the other pros and cons.

I'd like to think of a way to make this work, but not go broke in the
process! What do you out there with herds feed your cats?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Old October 17th 04, 08:41 PM
Bill Stock

"Rhonda" wrote in message
[...]

I'd stay away from the Friskies. This stuff makes Fancy Feast look good. The
'Salmon' flavour looks like sawdust and salmon juice. Even our garberator
won't touch the stuff.

Old October 17th 04, 10:55 PM
J1Boss

I priced the premium wet foods at somewhere around $1.58 for
13 oz. Does anyone know of a more economical price, perhaps shipped? How
about somewhere that sells larger cans than 13 oz?

Friskies wet is cheap at WalMart, but I don't know if cheap wet is
better than a more premium dry food. Carb-wise yes, but haven't checked
out the other pros and cons.

I'd like to think of a way to make this work, but not go broke in the
process! What do you out there with herds feed your cats?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Can't help with large cans, but my cats adore Trader Joe's cat food in the 6 oz
cans, for $0.45/can.

Janet Boss
http://bestfriendsdogobedience.com/
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old October 17th 04, 11:42 PM

My question -- with 8 cats of various
ages, is there a good, affordable wet
food? I priced the premium wet foods at
somewhere around $1.58 for 13 oz.

$1.58 for a 13 oz can of premium food is a good price. Think about what
a 3 ounce of can of Fancy Feast cost at around .39, and the premium food
is actually less per ounce.

I feed 24 cats only super premium foods and do it on a one person
income. I have calculated down to the ounce what my cats need to
maintain weight, feed exactly the same amounts at every meal, and can
place orders for food knowing how many cans I need to cover a weeks
worth of meals and know exactly how much I spend. The nice thing about
super premium food is that the cats generally don't need as much food to
get the same benefit, and when I switched to this type of food years ago
I found I was feeding nearly 30% less food, so I wasn't really spending
much more. I have made the choice to go without new clothes, going out
nights (there are cheaper forms of entertainment such as books and
renting movies) etc., rather than try to save money by feeding my cats
crap.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 18th 04, 03:13 AM

I feed Science Diet and pay 69=A2 for a 5.5
oz. can at PetsMart. It frequently goes on
sale for 50=A2 or less if you watch. I think it
comes larger and probably an equally
good price.

Science Diet contains by-products and is not a premium food.