Metal bowls for Tiger?

Old March 25th 04, 06:08 AM
LOL

Default Metal bowls for Tiger?

Do any of you use metal bowls to feed outside cats? We are currently
using those disposable plastic bowls to feed Tiger at the office; I
was thinking of getting some metal bowls to use instead, but wonder if
they'll get too hot in the summer? They will be in the shade, but it
does get *mighty* hot here and I'm worried about water being too hot
and food going bad. We don't leave the food out all day - we bring
out a bowl upon request, but of course the water stays. Does the
anti-skid rubber bit on the bottom act as an insulator? I don't want
to use glass as they are on a cement porch and the bowls do get
knocked around a bit. We can't really feed him on the ground instead
of the porch because ants get into the food.

Tiger, BTW, is spending somewhat less time indoors now that spring has
sprung, but has gained some self-confidence when he does. Now he
trots right in when the door is open; he may skitter right back out
again, but there is no initial hesitation any more. And when Ozzy
charges him, he will often back his ears and stand his ground instead
of fleeing. On occasion, he will even raise a semi-threatening paw!
Yay, Tiger!

We'll make an inside kitty out of him yet. :-)

------
Krista

PS: Reminder here that Tiger and Ozzy pics are at RPCAPhotos!
Old March 25th 04, 09:47 AM
Hopitus2

You'll have to decide ultimately (I doubt it gets any hotter wherever you
are than it does here in summer) between metal water bowl and plastic for
outside, but let me point out that plastic is a petroleum product......we
have had, in distant past, cats get "blackhead" type chin malady of skin,
plus edema (swelling) of surrounding tissue, and were feeding and watering
them w/plastic bowls. We then switched to metal; problem disappeared. A few
years ago, we got those extremely heavy ceramic ones for both food and water
and have never looked back. The larger ones are far too heavy for cats to
move w/o hoomin help.

m...
:
: Tiger, BTW, is spending somewhat less time indoors now that spring has
: sprung, but has gained some self-confidence when he does. Now he
: trots right in when the door is open; he may skitter right back out
: again, but there is no initial hesitation any more. And when Ozzy
: charges him, he will often back his ears and stand his ground instead
: of fleeing. On occasion, he will even raise a semi-threatening paw!
: Yay, Tiger!
:
: We'll make an inside kitty out of him yet. :-)
:
: ------
: Krista
:
: PS: Reminder here that Tiger and Ozzy pics are at RPCAPhotos!

Old March 25th 04, 02:51 PM
Christine Burel

We also had cats get kitty "acne" when using the plastic bowls -- I use
ceramic but I've heard metal is good, too. Re the ants: when I was feeding
Pirate outside I got a pie plate filled it with some water and set the food
bowl with wet food inside the "moat." That way, the ants didn't get in the
food.
Christine
"Hopitus2" wrote in message
You'll have to decide ultimately (I doubt it gets any hotter wherever you
are than it does here in summer) between metal water bowl and plastic for
outside, but let me point out that plastic is a petroleum product......we
have had, in distant past, cats get "blackhead" type chin malady of skin,
plus edema (swelling) of surrounding tissue, and were feeding and watering
them w/plastic bowls. We then switched to metal; problem disappeared. A

few
years ago, we got those extremely heavy ceramic ones for both food and

water
and have never looked back. The larger ones are far too heavy for cats to
move w/o hoomin help.

m...

Old March 25th 04, 05:20 PM
Jo Firey

We use heavy ceramic to beat the heat. Also are in the habit of adding ice
cubes to top off the water bowls in the summer.

Jo
m...

Old March 25th 04, 06:53 PM
LOL

"Hopitus2" wrote in message ...
You'll have to decide ultimately (I doubt it gets any hotter wherever you
are than it does here in summer) between metal water bowl and plastic for
outside, but let me point out that plastic is a petroleum product......we
have had, in distant past, cats get "blackhead" type chin malady of skin,
plus edema (swelling) of surrounding tissue, and were feeding and watering
them w/plastic bowls. We then switched to metal; problem disappeared. A few
years ago, we got those extremely heavy ceramic ones for both food and water
and have never looked back. The larger ones are far too heavy for cats to
move w/o hoomin help.

Summer's about the same for both of us; I am in south Georgia. I have
kept an eye out for kitty acne, but haven't seen any. I started
buying the disposable plastic bowls to feed the office kitties before
I started working here every day, because I knew *exactly* how often
DH would wash the cats' bowls, and disposable was definitely best.

I may look into heavy ceramic bowls, but those are something I'd have
to check out in person, and will have to wait until we actually get to
go somewhere. We live in the middle of nowhere at all, so I actually
do most of my shopping online, and was eyeing some metal bowls at
petsmart.com.

Thanks!

------
Krista
Old March 25th 04, 07:06 PM
LOL

"Christine Burel" wrote in message ...
We also had cats get kitty "acne" when using the plastic bowls -- I use
ceramic but I've heard metal is good, too. Re the ants: when I was feeding
Pirate outside I got a pie plate filled it with some water and set the food
bowl with wet food inside the "moat." That way, the ants didn't get in the
food.
Christine

The moat is a good idea - I may try that.
------
Krista
Old March 25th 04, 07:22 PM
Hopitus2

So your furry dictators are as spoiled as the Evil 3! Every time the hoomins
get ice from the fridge door dispenser, a couple cubes go into the nearby
water bowls.....

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
: We use heavy ceramic to beat the heat. Also are in the habit of adding
ice
: cubes to top off the water bowls in the summer.
:
: Jo
: m...

Old March 25th 04, 07:32 PM
Steve Touchstone

On 24 Mar 2004 22:08:08 -0800, (LOL)
wrote:

Do any of you use metal bowls to feed outside cats? We are currently
using those disposable plastic bowls to feed Tiger at the office; I
was thinking of getting some metal bowls to use instead, but wonder if
they'll get too hot in the summer? They will be in the shade, but it
does get *mighty* hot here and I'm worried about water being too hot
and food going bad. We don't leave the food out all day - we bring
out a bowl upon request, but of course the water stays. Does the
anti-skid rubber bit on the bottom act as an insulator? I don't want
to use glass as they are on a cement porch and the bowls do get
knocked around a bit. We can't really feed him on the ground instead
of the porch because ants get into the food.

I use plastic for the outside dishes, and ceramic inside. I think I'd
worry about the heat making the water too hot. Even though I keep it
in the shade, summers in Ok heat it up, so I put out fresh water in
the morning and again in the evening.

Something one of my customers suggested for ants is spraying Pam
around the bottom of the bowl. (For anyone who may not know, Pam is a
just a spray that is supposed to keep stuff from sticking to pots and
pans when cooking.) That works pretty well for me. I keep a rubbermaid
container of dry cat food outside on the patio that I feed to the
neighborhood cats, and the Pam stopped the ants from getting into it.

Tiger, BTW, is spending somewhat less time indoors now that spring has
sprung, but has gained some self-confidence when he does. Now he
trots right in when the door is open; he may skitter right back out
again, but there is no initial hesitation any more. And when Ozzy
charges him, he will often back his ears and stand his ground instead
of fleeing. On occasion, he will even raise a semi-threatening paw!
Yay, Tiger!

We'll make an inside kitty out of him yet. :-)

Good for Tiger. I kind of thought Rocky might decide he wants to stay
out more now that we've been having better weather, too. So far,
though, he's still coming in every night, perhaps because he likes the
food inside better than the meow mix I buy for outside.

------
Krista

PS: Reminder here that Tiger and Ozzy pics are at RPCAPhotos!

Yes, but they're all old ;-( Time for new pix...hint hint
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 26th 04, 03:51 AM
badwilson

I feed Vino from metal dishes and he still gets the acne on his chin :-(
But in this case it probably has more to do with the constant humidity, etc
around here. I now take up his dish of wet food after 20 min. When the
zits get too bad, I squeeze them and then wash his chin with alcohol or
astringent. He's amazingly good about it. I also wash his chin with a
soapy cloth every few days.
The weather around here is just awful for this kind of skin problem. Even
in hoomins, it is common to get fungal infections (I myself suffer from
recurring oral thrush, aaargh, I hate it!) and often you'll get weird things
growing behind your ears, even with 3 showers a day. TMI, I know...sorry!
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
You'll have to decide ultimately (I doubt it gets any hotter wherever you
are than it does here in summer) between metal water bowl and plastic for
outside, but let me point out that plastic is a petroleum product......we
have had, in distant past, cats get "blackhead" type chin malady of skin,
plus edema (swelling) of surrounding tissue, and were feeding and watering
them w/plastic bowls. We then switched to metal; problem disappeared. A

few
years ago, we got those extremely heavy ceramic ones for both food and

water
and have never looked back. The larger ones are far too heavy for cats to
move w/o hoomin help.

m...