pee on carpet in closet

Old September 13th 03, 05:27 PM
k conover

Default pee on carpet in closet

We just moved to a new house and I've decided to keep my orange tabby inside
because the street is busier and he's been less friendly to cats visiting
the yard lately, he got in a really bad fight at our old place!
I like to leave the door open (with the screen door shut) so that he can
look outside, hear the birds, etc., because he really missed it. However,
yesterday, there was a little cat that wanders into our yard and when he saw
her he started hissing, etc., then later went and took a long pee in the
corner of my (carpeted) closet. He has only sprayed a couple times in his
life, so it's probably the stress of the move and the other cat. But do you
think I'm going to have to refrain from leaving the door open so he can see
outside since other cats do wander into the yard? And maybe it's too hard
on him to be able to look outside but not go out?
Any advice or replies are welcome. Thanks!
Kirsten

Old September 13th 03, 06:15 PM
MaryL

"k conover" wrote in message
[...]

This is a known problem when indoor cats see outdoor cats. It is possible
that you may need to keep the door closed (as you suggested). However,
first I would try Feliway.
Feliway is used for behavior modification and can be very useful in reducing
stress. It is available as plug-in diffusers (with refills available) and as
a spray. I use the plug-ins so it can be working all the time, and I keep
them in two different rooms. The spray is excellent for an occasional use
(such as spraying the carrier about 20 minutes before you take your cat to
the vet).

I like to order mine from ValleyVet (http://www.valleyvet.com). They have
better prices than most others, and there is no charge for shipping. The
last time I check, they listed Feliway for $29.95 for a diffuser with one
bottle of Feliway. It is also available as a spray for $15.95. It's a great
product

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old September 13th 03, 11:59 PM
Alison

"k conover" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Kristen ,
Can you fence your yard so he can go out side. It would also keep the
other cats out .
Alison

Old September 14th 03, 07:44 AM
k conover

Alison, I really can't afford to fence right now...plus he could probably
scale a fence and be out in a flash....I've read a lot of stuff about the
Feliway after MaryL's post and I'm going to try that...I'll let you all know
what happens!
Kirsten