Dry Food Good For Teeth and Gum Health?

Old June 26th 05, 01:32 PM
Brad

On 25 Jun 2005 12:09:15 -0700, "biggerbadderbarry"
wrote:

Brad wrote:

I'm not good with these brain teasers I don't have enough
brains......The breeder I bought from......two vets who I interviewed
fo select one for my kitten and two personal friends all said that dry
food has always been fine with no health problems relating to
food.......my breeder has never fed anything other than dry after a
few weeks and also has never had a problem......nothing I have found
has been decisive to say either way one is better than the other but
testimonials from people I actually know have to weigh heavily on my
decision.

Look! The lady done said, get a bucket of chicken innards (Gizzards)
and
let the cat chew on them; you know, stash some around the house for
later.

What the cat don't chew on, I use for catfish bait!

How do you get used to the smell though.......I tried shoving most of
em under the couch but for some reason they still smell.....I thought
there was some saying about "outta sight outta smell"

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old June 26th 05, 01:36 PM
Brad

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:12:07 +0000, Fritti
wrote:

biggerbadderbarry Wrote:
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

You've got mine. Dryfood is way better than soft canned food. It
prevents placque. As an example: My dearest darling Venus and her
sister Roberta were cats I got from someone else. She fed both cats wet
canned food three meals a day. When I took the cats, they had placque on
their teeth thicker than their teeth! They both needed an intense dental
clean-up under full anasthetic. All twelve of my cats right now get
nothing but dry food, and it sure benefits their teeth. The only soft
things they get to eat is a bit of liverwurst or cheese every now and
then. When they got their teeth cleaned, Venus almost didn't come out
of the anasthetic afterwards, and I sure don't ever want to go through
such a horrifyingly scaring experience again. So... feed your cat
dryfood. Amen.
Purrs,
Fritti and his gang.

You know now heres another case which is hard to argue with yet I have
been slammed so many times for feeding dry food.......like I'm to lazy
to give em the wet food that I'm doing what I want without caring
about the cats but I've heard more testimonials like yours plus
friends and associates who swear by dry food.....as far as overall
health goes this arguement doesn't appear when talking about dogs only
about cats.....go figure thanks for posting...

Old June 29th 05, 02:27 PM
Phil P.

"Brad" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 05:09:28 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

The conclusion is obvious. The *slight* dental benefit of dry food does

not
offset the risks. Look in your cat's mouth. Do you see any first
premolars or lower (inferior) first or second premolars? You don't, do

you?
Do you know why?

nothing I have found
has been decisive to say either way one is better than the other

I guess you can't say that anymo

J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan 1;210(1):46-50

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats with
stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate elimination and is
associated with consumption of dry foods."

Old June 29th 05, 02:31 PM
Phil P.

"Fritti" wrote in message

biggerbadderbarry Wrote:
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

You've got mine. Dryfood is way better than soft canned food.

That's far from the truth. There are only *three* dry diets that have a
slight effect on the teeth- but the dental benefits don't offset the
systemic risks.

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats with
stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate elimination and is
associated with consumption of dry foods." (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan
1;210(1):46-50).

Old July 1st 05, 07:46 AM
Brad

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:31:01 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Fritti" wrote in message

biggerbadderbarry Wrote:
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

You've got mine. Dryfood is way better than soft canned food.

That's far from the truth. There are only *three* dry diets that have a
slight effect on the teeth- but the dental benefits don't offset the
systemic risks.

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats with
stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate elimination and is
associated with consumption of dry foods." (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan
1;210(1):46-50).

I just wonder sometimes if the whole thing isn't blown way out of
proportion, in a case like this when both sides can come up with good
arguments I think people should feed what they feel like is the best
at least if they have done some research to back it up and let the
next guy or gal feed their cats whatever they want. It seems people
have this want to shove their ideas down the other persons throat, I
don't have any quarrels with someone that wants to feed the opposite
as I do its all about a little respect for each other.

Old July 1st 05, 11:41 AM
Phil P.

wrote:

"Fritti" wrote in message

biggerbadderbarry Wrote:
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

You've got mine. Dryfood is way better than soft canned food.

That's far from the truth. There are only *three* dry diets that have a
slight effect on the teeth- but the dental benefits don't offset the
systemic risks.

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats with
stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate elimination and is
associated with consumption of dry foods." (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan
1;210(1):46-50).

I just wonder sometimes if the whole thing isn't blown way out of
proportion, in a case like this when both sides can come up with good
arguments

The problem is the dry food camp *can't* come up with a good argument other
than economy and convenience- neither of which benefit the cat. The minimal
dental benefits of dry food don't offset the risks to the rest of the body.

Old July 1st 05, 05:20 PM
Mary

wrote:

"Fritti" wrote in message

biggerbadderbarry Wrote:
[...]

What sold me was the huge difference I saw in my cats coats, eyes,
and behavior after adding canned food, and Buddha's weight loss
after putting her on canned only. I saw results in 2 weeks.

Old July 1st 05, 07:31 PM
PawsForThought

Brad wrote:
Phil PThat's far from the truth. There are only *three* dry diets that have a
[...]

Brad, I don't think it's a question of ideas, but rather what is in the
best interest of the cat, not the convenience of the human. It has
been proven that a canned diet has more benefits to the cat's overall
health than a dry kibble diet, which when you really think about it is
not species appropriate. I admit I fed cats I've had in the past a
kibble diet. It was very convenient to rip open the bag and pour it
into a bowl. But I've since done a lot of research into it and I feel
the benefits of a canned diet (or in my case a homemade diet) are more
beneficial for the cat. It's not that much harder to get out a can
opener Of course I do realize some cats are just kibble junkies and
switching them can be nearly impossible.

Lauren

Old July 1st 05, 07:36 PM
Philip

Mary wrote:

wrote:

"Fritti" wrote in message

biggerbadderbarry Wrote:
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

You've got mine. Dryfood is way better than soft canned food.

That's far from the truth. There are only *three* dry diets that
have a slight effect on the teeth- but the dental benefits don't
offset the systemic risks.

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats
with stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate
elimination and is associated with consumption of dry foods." (J Am
Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan 1;210(1):46-50).

I just wonder sometimes if the whole thing isn't blown way out of
proportion, in a case like this when both sides can come up with good
arguments

The problem is the dry food camp *can't* come up with a good argument
other than economy and convenience- neither of which benefit the cat.
The minimal dental benefits of dry food don't offset the risks to the
rest of the body.

What sold me was the huge difference I saw in my cats coats, eyes,
and behavior after adding canned food, and Buddha's weight loss
after putting her on canned only. I saw results in 2 weeks.

Sounds like "Atkins for Cats" diet. LOL

Old July 2nd 05, 12:56 AM
VeggieBurger

My 2 cats have both and they're just fine and dandy.