Dry Food Good For Teeth and Gum Health?

Old July 2nd 05, 01:58 AM
biggerbadderbarry

VeggieBurger wrote:
My 2 cats have both and they're just fine and dandy.

When I was a kid working at Wendy's after school

One lady would order a single all the way, hold the single.
(A veggie burger) I always thought it should cost less but it did not.

Old July 2nd 05, 10:22 PM
Brad

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 06:41:49 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

The problem is the dry food camp *can't* come up with a good argument other
than economy and convenience- neither of which benefit the cat. The minimal
dental benefits of dry food don't offset the risks to the rest of the body.

No Phil the problem is there you are trying to shove your ideas down
my throat.....I am clear on your feelings like most everyone here is I
don't know why you have to stay behind the pulpit. How about this
testimonials from people who have fed dry food only and have had happy
and healthy cats always.......you can't come up with an arguement to
top that one......

I'm sick and tired of your camp constantly harping on convenience is
that supposed to shame us into using the slop food kinda funny I make
a plea to lets just get along and the first post I read is you with
your same ole ****......how about this too.....dry food has minimal
benefits for the teeth and gums slop food gives ZERO benefits.......

How in the hell did cats get along before you started brushing their
teeth and singing the praises of wet food?

Brad

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting......" HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
Old July 2nd 05, 10:26 PM
Brad

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:20:39 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Brad" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:31:01 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Fritti" wrote in message

biggerbadderbarry Wrote:
I feel like my cat should get some dry food
for the benefit of teeth and gums.

Can I get an Amen?

You've got mine. Dryfood is way better than soft canned food.

That's far from the truth. There are only *three* dry diets that have

slight effect on the teeth- but the dental benefits don't offset the
systemic risks.

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats with
stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate elimination and is
associated with consumption of dry foods." (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan
1;210(1):46-50).

I just wonder sometimes if the whole thing isn't blown way out of
proportion, in a case like this when both sides can come up with good
arguments

The problem is the dry food camp *can't* come up with a good argument

other
than economy and convenience- neither of which benefit the cat. The

minimal
dental benefits of dry food don't offset the risks to the rest of the

body.

What sold me was the huge difference I saw in my cats coats, eyes,
and behavior after adding canned food, and Buddha's weight loss
after putting her on canned only. I saw results in 2 weeks.

Don't get your undies in a bundle here but are you blaming the dry
food for Buddha's weight problems.....does he fill the bowls
himself.....?? I have heard people mention the coat that is one thing
I would like to look into further with Touhey being a kitten its hard
to tell about his coat with that kitten hair.....looks like me when I
get up in the morning......

Old July 2nd 05, 10:38 PM
Brad

On 1 Jul 2005 11:31:46 -0700, "PawsForThought"
wrote:

Brad, I don't think it's a question of ideas, but rather what is in the
best interest of the cat, not the convenience of the human. It has
been proven that a canned diet has more benefits to the cat's overall
health than a dry kibble diet, which when you really think about it is
not species appropriate. I admit I fed cats I've had in the past a
kibble diet. It was very convenient to rip open the bag and pour it
into a bowl. But I've since done a lot of research into it and I feel
the benefits of a canned diet (or in my case a homemade diet) are more
beneficial for the cat. It's not that much harder to get out a can
opener Of course I do realize some cats are just kibble junkies and
switching them can be nearly impossible.

Lauren

Exactly how a post should be written you made it clear what you feel
is best without trying to make the other "camp" look like dunces.....I
hate to bring this up because I will get clipped again but my breeder
has always only fed dry food and he like alot of the others have
ribbons and best in shows and all the rest , can you do that with an
unhealthy cat with a bad coat?

Onec again I hate the convenience mentions always.......if I thought
for an instant that wet was better for my cat I would throw the brand
new bag of Iams away and go for the canned but unfortuneately many of
the pro canned food people have been name callers and worse which
makes it even a little bit harder to take their advice. So with me it
honestly isn't convenience.

I know my kitten is only 16 weeks old but he is so happy and healthy
takes a lot of cat naps but in an instant when I get up hes hiding
around the corner ready to pounce on me and play as long as I want
matter of fact he is into bring his toys back to me now which is great
he will hop in my lap with the toy and push it over the side....and
then look at me until I pick it up......then push it over the side
again.....and coming when I call him......I always had a soft spot for
cats but never owned one but am overjoyed with this guy........

Lauren why do you think this arguement exist with Dogs? Obviously a
different constitution but you would think the basic idea of canned vs
dry would be there for dogs also, I have never heard that and I have
owned five dogs over the years........

Old July 8th 05, 06:49 AM
Phil P.

wrote:

The problem is the dry food camp *can't* come up with a good argument

other
than economy and convenience- neither of which benefit the cat. The

minimal
dental benefits of dry food don't offset the risks to the rest of the

body.

No Phil the problem is there you are trying to shove your ideas down
my throat.....

Actually, I'm trying to educate you about feline nutrition because you're
obviously misinformed. No one is forcing you to read my posts. If you don't
like what I have to say don't read my posts or make refutable statements
about dry food.

How about this
testimonials from people who have fed dry food only and have had happy
and healthy cats always.......you can't come up with an arguement to
top that one......

Sure I can.

Almost every cat that I know of- including many cats of people *in this
group*- that had a urinary tract obstruction, interstitial cystitis, and
diabetes all ate primarily dry food. These conditions resolved after the
cats were switched over to canned food. In fact, after switching many
diabetic cats over to canned food *alone*, they no longer needed insulin.

There are controlled, clinical studies that link dry food with urinary tract
obstructions and interstitial cystitis. Here's one:

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats with
stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate elimination and is
associated with consumption of dry foods." (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan
1;210(1):46-50).

The bottom line is its much easier to deal with oral hygiene than
interstitial cystitis, urinary tract obstructions, diabetes, and possibly
CRF. Here's how: http://maxshouse.com/tooth_brushing.htm

Old July 9th 05, 07:30 PM
Brad

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:49:24 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats with
stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate elimination and is
associated with consumption of dry foods." (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan
1;210(1):46-50).

The bottom line is its much easier to deal with oral hygiene than
interstitial cystitis, urinary tract obstructions, diabetes, and possibly
CRF. Here's how: http://maxshouse.com/tooth_brushing.htm

I have/had respect for your obvious knowledge about cats but I repeat
myself in saying that some people skills wouldn't hurt you......you
still never comment about people who have had great success with dry
food for years and years I suppose this is just happenstance and I
have never met someone who is pro canned food who hasn't taken a shot
at the dry food people for being lazy or doing what is easiest for us
without thinking about the cat.......attacks on peoples characters
will do very little to get yourself credibility in most peoples
eyes......to each his own I guess........

Old July 9th 05, 08:16 PM
whitershadeofpale

Brad wrote:

I have/had respect for your obvious knowledge about cats but I repeat
myself in saying that some people skills wouldn't hurt you......you
still never comment about people who have had great success with dry
food for years and years I suppose this is just happenstance and I
have never met someone who is pro canned food who hasn't taken a shot
at the dry food people for being lazy or doing what is easiest for us
without thinking about the cat.......attacks on peoples characters
will do very little to get yourself credibility in most peoples
eyes......to each his own I guess........

Brad

*pimp slaps Brad across the mouth again*

You fffffaggot! You just got done running your finger through the cake
and now your over here humping the house DR for doing the same.

low life ass wipe

Old July 10th 05, 12:49 AM
whitershadeofpale

Phil P. wrote:

stuff

Hello

What do you think? Do cats in the wild live as long as domestic cats.

I figure in the wild, they eat small animals (which are high in water
content)

Old July 10th 05, 01:16 AM
PawsForThought

wrote:

[...]

Well...putting my opinions aside about cat shows, think about all the
cats eating kibble that are in the show. So I would imagine the judge
is picking out the best looking out of the kibble fed group. I can
tell you in my experience, there is definitely a coat difference in a
cat on a better diet. I imagine too the judges are looking at other
things, like how the cat conforms to the breed standard (shape of body,
shape of face and head, coat color, etc.) Kibble fed cats can look
very healthy, but can be prone to things like urinary crystals and
diabetes.

Onec again I hate the convenience mentions always.......if I thought
for an instant that wet was better for my cat I would throw the brand
new bag of Iams away and go for the canned but unfortuneately many of
the pro canned food people have been name callers and worse which
makes it even a little bit harder to take their advice. So with me it
honestly isn't convenience.

I believe you, Brad. But if you do some reading, you will see how a
canned diet can benefit your kitten. Right now he's young and these
health problems such as urinary crystals sometimes don't show up until
later in the cat's life. I would recommend reading this article,
written by a vet:
http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf

I know my kitten is only 16 weeks old but he is so happy and healthy
takes a lot of cat naps but in an instant when I get up hes hiding
around the corner ready to pounce on me and play as long as I want
matter of fact he is into bring his toys back to me now which is great
he will hop in my lap with the toy and push it over the side....and
then look at me until I pick it up......then push it over the side
again.....and coming when I call him......I always had a soft spot for
cats but never owned one but am overjoyed with this guy........

All it takes is one to get hooked, eh? As I said earlier, health
problems from a purely dry food diet may not show up until later in the
cat's life. Also, if you ever decide to feed a canned diet, now is the
time to introduce it to your kitten. What he is fed in the first 6
months of his life is most likely what he will associate as food. So
getting him used to canned food now would be beneficial. You don't
have to start out feeding him totally canned. Why not buy a few cans
and try it out on him? Maybe feed him canned for breakfast and dry for
dinner (I highly recommend against free feeding him kibble).

Lauren why do you think this arguement exist with Dogs? Obviously a
different constitution but you would think the basic idea of canned vs
dry would be there for dogs also, I have never heard that and I have
owned five dogs over the years........

But it is there, Brad

Lauren

Old July 10th 05, 01:25 AM
Phil P.

wrote:

"Results suggest that idiopathic cystitis occurs commonly in cats with
stranguria, hematuria, pollakiuria, or inappropriate elimination and is
associated with consumption of dry foods." (J Am Vet Med Assoc 1997 Jan
1;210(1):46-50).

The bottom line is its much easier to deal with oral hygiene than
interstitial cystitis, urinary tract obstructions, diabetes, and possibly
CRF. Here's how: http://maxshouse.com/tooth_brushing.htm

I have/had respect for your obvious knowledge about cats but I repeat
myself in saying that some people skills wouldn't hurt you......

I don't mind if don't like my manners, I don't like them myself! They're
pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winther nights.

Some serious research into feline nutrition wouldn't hurt you and would
greatly help your cat.

you
still never comment about people who have had great success with dry
food for years and years

....until their cats develop urinary tract instructions, interstitial
cystitis, and diabetes. Then they switch to canned food. But unfortunately,
sometimes its too late. Male cats can *die* from a urinary tract
instruction, and once interstitial cystitis is unmasked it can be very
difficult to control. Diabetes has already been linked to feeding cats dry
food. Diabetes in cats can be very difficult and expensive to manage. Many
people choose euthanasia because they can't/won't monitor their cats' blood
glucose and give insulin injections.

Doesn't it make more sense to lower the risk of these diseases by feeding
canned food than to feed dry food simply because its easier and cheaper?

I suppose this is just happenstance and I
have never met someone who is pro canned food who hasn't taken a shot
at the dry food people for being lazy or doing what is easiest for us
without thinking about the cat

Well that about sums it up! Dry food *is* more convienient and it *is*
cheaper, but it also carries much higher risks to your cat's health. So,
you're right! Feeding dry food is easier and less thought is given to the
cat's health.

........attacks on peoples characters
will do very little to get yourself credibility in most peoples
eyes......to each his own I guess........

Denying the facts when they're presented to you clearly, doesn't help your
credibility.