Dry Food Good For Teeth and Gum Health?

Old July 17th 05, 08:41 AM
Phil P.

"Brad" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:47:27 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

- but the only canned food they'll eat is Fancy Feast
"Tender Beef Feast" (two cans in the AM and two cans in the PM, so one

can
day per cat).

For renal cats, I've had the best luck with Hill's Prescription x/d. Its
low in phosphorus (0.53% DMB) and moderate in protein (43% DMB). But

most
importantly, its not an acidified diet. X/d is more palatable than k/d

and
g/d- which I think are a little too low in protein. I've seen dramatic
turnarounds in renal cats after switching to x/d from k/d.

Good luck,

Phil

Phil I'm sorry to say this and really not trying to embarass you

Fret not. I don't think its possible for you to embarass me.

although you shot the first volley across my bow when all I did is
compliment you awhile back, And I don't let anyone walk on me not even
know it alls.

I only seem like a know-it-all to you. Its a relatively thing.

I just gotta ask you how your cats got themselves into all of these
unhealthy conditions in the first place, did you learn so much from
nursing your cats back to health from feeding them diets to low in
nutrition......try some dry maybe you won't have to learn all of these
corrective actions.

Actually, Brad, I rehabilitate cats from shelters and from vets whose owners
couldn't/wouldn't treat their cats' illnesses.

Heres hoping I won't have to learn massive corrective actions cuz my
cats are just healthy and happy as hell........sounds like a pretty
solid plan to me.......

Better start reading up on urinary tract obstructions, cystitis, and
diabetes so you'll know what to look for when your cats' start developing
symptoms.

In all seriousness I respect your knowledge about foods and diet and
the time you freely give to help people

I just don't like the way you
treated me like I was now worthy of having an opinion and I have seen
you do the same to others but maybe some of those are afraid of
speaking for fear of ridicule from you and your legions....

Its all in your mind, Brad. You have a very fragile ego. I simply
corrected you.

..me I just
tighten the chin strap on my helmet and charge unless its some of the
idiots here who I don't care to expend my rapidly depleting store of
brain cells.....

Glad to see you have a few left! Better hang on to them very tightly- you
can't afford to lose the few you have left.

Now go ahead and pick choose the few items in my post that you have a
response to and the ones that take common sense to answer you can just
let go like usual.

Couldn't find any of those! LOL!

Or better for us and the other members lets just
drop the silliness.......

The only one posting silliness is you, Brad.

matter of fact I will be the big man on this
thread and let you take the last shots........because you are so
deserving.......or you can let your minions finish your "lite" work.

Brad

As long as you're feeding only dry food, just make sure you physically *see*
your male cat urinate at least once day. Male cats that can't urinate for
24-36 hours can die from acute renal failure.

Old July 17th 05, 08:42 AM
Phil P.

"Brad" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:52:53 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

Well, Brad, you did say you spray your dirty clothes with Febreeze

instead
of washing them to cut down on water and electricity.

And yes Phil you are stupid enough to believe my humorous statement
and by the way if you are going to cut me down do it right.....I
believe I said it was my son who informed me that the dorms were full
of febreeze for these reasons.....I found it funny your warped mind
made it a means to attack me.....

Nope. That's not what you said. I saved your post because it was so funny.

From: Brad
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Location for litter box and type
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 16:46:26 GMT

"My question is more about the washer and dryer than the door. Will
that be distraction to the kitten enough that he might shy away from
it being by the appliances? Again the washer and dryer gets very
little use I usually just lay my dirty clothes on the floor and spray
em down good with Febreeze and I'm good to go saves on water and
electritcity too."

You sure sound like a real skid-row moron to me! You probably flush your
toilet once a week and take a shower once a month whether you need it or not
to save on water, too. LOL!.

Tell me Brad, do you stand your socks and underwear up in the corner at
night or do you throw them against the wall then put them back on when they
dry out and fall down in a few days?

There's probably so much cat **** in your cat's litterbox that your poor cat
probably can't even see the litter.

And just so you don't worry your comment singling me out that your
comments would go over my head and not others didn't go
unnoticed.....congratulations you have just made my very small list of
people I would like to meet in real life.

No, Brad, I really don't think you'd like that. Just don't stand to close
to me- the stench of your unwashed clothes would probably knock me out! LOL!
If you're as stupid in real life as you are on Usenet, I'd probably die
laughing.

From many years of reading newsgroups I am nearly positive I have your
type down to a science just a partial list of the character traits
are.

This should be interesting. LOL!

Always right no possibility of being wrong even if its staring you
right in your face what an awful thought that must be.

Start out with name calling and quickly moving to your foul mouth all
a bit childish

You should write a book about Usenet personalities. Call it "Delusions of a
Moron".

answer questions you "think" you have answers to and completely
disregard "snip" those that prove you wrong beyond a shadow of a
doubt.

How would you know whose right or wrong? You're stupid. You couldn't tell
the difference between a hairball and a turd without tasting it.

Those are just the hilites of people like you, they are scattered
throughout the internet and my careful study has labeled your type a
quite mundane but very on target COWARD.

Your "careful study"? LOL! You need to study more.

You hide behind your computer and come across as the tough guy which
in your eyes and mentality still means that name calling and
vulgarities make you a big man and would run screaming like a little
girl (sorry ladies) for fear of a confrontation.

Nothing gets past your lighting quick perception, does it? LOL! Did you
figure that out all by yourself or did your skid-row buddies help you? I do
try very hard to avoid confrontations in real life. If I didn't, I'd be in
jail for manslaughter.

I extended the top guy on my list an airline ticket roundtrip to come
and meet me one on one

You can't afford water and electricity to wash your filthy clothes but you
can afford an airline ticket for someone who would likely kick your
ignorant, whining ass! LOL!

......I am not a tough guy

That's obvious. But you are a moron.

but your kind sicken
me.

I know. Smarter people really make you sick.

I doubt you will ever make the top of my list because to save my
sanity I have been forced to totally ignore your very special type of
coward.

Oh no! Not that! Anything but that! Nothing is worse than being ignored by
a skid-row moron!

I realize my tirade plays into your hands but I have to admit that
guys like you who hide behind vulgarities and childish name calling
push my buttons because you claim to be so damn smart and fail to see
how stupid(in the ways of life) you really are.....

Yep. I could sure learn a lot about being stupid from you! LOL!

Good bye to you my crazy.......and my apologies to the good folk here
who had to read this but I am sure you haven't seen him right from the
start treat me like I am inferior to his vast intelligence and oddly
enough it came from a short series of kudos I gave him for helping
people out I will try my best to not subject you all to any more of
this on my part......

Don't worry about it. Most people here probably realize you're a blathering
idiot.

Brad

You have some real serious issues, Brad! But, hey, thanks for the laugh!
Your moronic delusions are the funniest things I've read in a long time!
ROTFLMAO!

Old July 17th 05, 09:03 AM
Phil P.

"Brad" wrote in message
On 13 Jul 2005 06:08:52 -0700, "PawsForThought"
wrote:

Brad wrote:
Does anyone leave any room for the possibilities that the makers of
dry food have corrected problems they may have had in the past after
all there is a huge market out there and I am sure they want their
share of it. I just hope people like PhilP keeps an open mind in
changes to the dry food industry but it doesn't seem like most of the
experts will leave any possibility open.

I don't think it's possible for a manufacturer to correct the problems
caused by a dry food diet, or the food wouldn't be dry anymore. As you
can see in these studies, it's the dryness of the food, and the
subsequent moisture volume, and water deficiency that can cause
problems:

nutrition.org -- Markwell et al. 128 (12): 2753S

-----

Lauren

Snipped long informational article from 1994 and 1995

Lauren thank you, you have supplied me with allot of information not
only on this post but on other posts plus websites and I have gone
through all of it.

But I have to take exception to your statement that the manufacturers
of dry food wouldn't be able to correct a problem they might have had.
You have partially made my case by giving me information ten years
old.

J Feline Med Surg. 2001 Jun;3(2):81-5.

An investigation into the effects of storage on the diagnosis of
crystalluria in
cats.

Sturgess CP, Hesford A, Owen H, Privett R.

Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Langford,
Bristol BS40 5DU, UK.

"Urinalysis was performed on 41 cats with no history of urinary tract
disease.
Samples were divided into aliquots, stored under differing condition and
then
examined for the presence of crystalluria. Crystalluria was detected in at
least
one stored sample in 92% of cats fed a mixed wet/dry food diet compared to
24%
in the fresh sample. Crystalluria was not detected in any sample or aliquot
from
cats fed all wet food diets. Copyright 2001 European Society of Feline
Medicine."Did you understand that? "Crystalluria was not detected in any
sample or aliquot from
cats fed all wet food diets."

Old July 17th 05, 05:06 PM
CatNipped

"Brad" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:57:31 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I can't find Pet Guard locally - I didn't want to order anything online
because they are *SO* picky about what there eat so I didn't want to buy

large quantity of something that will go to waste. Do you know of any

large
chains (PetsMart or PetCo) that carry it?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Nipped, you can't just let the food there for awhile then put away and
serve it again the next time and wait for them to get hungry enough to
eat it? I'm being serious maybe their systems are so delicately
balanced that they can get sick quickly from not eating but
considering their ancestory I would expect them to be much more hearty
than that.

I'm not singling you out I have heard many people say they can't get
their cats to eat the canned food. Maybe I feel this way because I was
also in the group that said let the baby cry he's healthy and warm and
will go to sleep soon......worked most of the time that I was able to
follow my own advice :-)

Brad

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting......." HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Nope. I learned ages ago that my cats can "out-stubborn" me.

Also, I never believed in "let the baby cry until he/she stops". If they
are crying, then they need something - even if that something is just the
closeness of mommy. That said my children were *not* spoiled, were *not*
"brats" (they didn't get *anything* they cried/whined for as far as toys or
junk food - but they *ALWAYS* got cuddles and hugs when they needed them).
Because of this they were always very well liked and sociable and turned out
to be happy, healthy, well-adjusted adults who have successful
families/career/lives. The security and self-confidence of *knowing* that
they were loved and cared-for helped them overcome the "angst" of childhood,
let them by-pass all of the behavioral problems of pre-teens and teens, and
carried them along into adulthood.

Old July 17th 05, 05:23 PM
whitershadeofpale

CatNipped wrote:

Nope. I learned ages ago that my cats can "out-stubborn" me.

Very True; and when you break this behavior down, it just makes you
love them more.

They walk like giants.

Some days I come in, where my body is just glowing hot from being in
the sun, (I'm brown as penny right now, I spent all last week in direct
sunlight)

Short story, a few times last week, I pulled away from Ruprecht, I
dodged him so to say, while I was getting water, and getting in the
shower and so on.

Yesterday I came in, and instead of him trying to get on me like he
will, he sat there waiting patiently! I caught him watching me out the
corner of his eye. He just boguards my attention. He'll walk up, and
lay on my feet, waiting for his massage I guess.

Old July 17th 05, 05:46 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

You and my mother wnet to the same school of childrearing!

Old July 17th 05, 06:04 PM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

I *hate* it when people say, "let them cry, it won't hurt them, they'll
learn to shut up". What they *learn* is that they can't depend on the one
person who is their sole "life support"! They become insecure, afraid, feel
like their needs are not important so have less self-respect. Sheesh - way
to rear a healthy child, huh?!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 17th 05, 06:15 PM
whitershadeofpale

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

I think you're logic is rooted in emotion.

Even when a child is born they get a little slap
to kick off the crying. It's a lung thing.

Old July 17th 05, 06:27 PM
CatNipped

"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

Not any more - they get the mucous suctioned from their nose and throat.
Just being born is traumatic enough without being slapped as their first
experience of the world (though some would say that's what they *should*
expect of the world).

But no...

"The myth that excessive crying is "good for a baby's lungs" is an invention
of the emotional plague. It is in the same league as the rationalization,
"Well, we have to toughen him up for this world that he's going to live in."
Is that why we should neglect him, let him cry? Is that why we should let
the harsh, neurotic world come down on him? We do not want to adapt the baby
to a neurotic culture; we want to keep him as free from armoring as
possible. We don't want to armor him like all the rest of us. To the extent
that armoring is laid down, the ability for self-regulation is lost." ~The
American College of Orgonomy

You have been myth-informed.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 17th 05, 06:32 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

Barry, you sound like an idiot here. And I say that in a loving way.
Catnip has raised several lovely children. The closest you have come to
that is that you WERE a child once. Her "logic" is not rooted in
emotion. It is rooted in her brain and in her experience in raising
children.