Two scared 6 month old boys - how long unitl they adapt?

Old February 1st 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default Two scared 6 month old boys - how long unitl they adapt?

I brought home two, 6 month old male kitties from somone who has about 20 in
her apartment - both are not very social...one more so than than the other...
from reading some of the other posts I've noticed that I should have let the
very scared one come out of the carrier on his own...but, I held him thinking
that he and i could potentially bond but he's been under the bed anytime that
I'm around for the past couple of days...he did come out with the
encouragement of his buddy but when he saw me on the couch and I said
"hello", he freaked and rand under the bed again....the next place I found
him was behind the stove at 4:00 AM....and his buddy with him (but I think
his buddy is acutally trying to keep him company to get through this
transition!)

What's the best thing that I can do for them? I slept on the couch last
night so that they had my room all to themselves with the door shut...I kept
them in there today too when I was at work but when I came home, I opened the
door and Booda came out about 1/2 hour later to check things out but then
went back in....I didn't try to go near him...just let him roam.

I feel a little anxious that maybe I didnt' do the right thing by brigning
them home...I am used to very loving lap cats...I know people do this all the
time so I just want to make sure I can help them but I also worry that they
might not like me at all!

Any suggestions would help.

Thank you!
Old February 1st 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Hi I run a cat rescue and have always had cats. since doing rescue I
have learned a lot about different cat personality traits and how to
give them the best start in a new home.
Yes the #1 thing is to always let them come out when they are ready to
meet you for some the crate is the den they feel safe when surrounded
on all sides.
I have had some cats that did not decide it was really safe to be
social till they had been with us a year so be patient, don't give up
and let them have what ever time they need.
#2 Also food is a great way to make friends with cats, try just sitting
near them as they eat if they will let you talk to them softly and when
you can offer treats to them.
#3 Never grab them and hug them or hold them till they are ready.
#4 Many cats don't like for you to reach for the top of the head to
pet right away or ever, I always let them sniff my hand first and if
they are still hear they may rub on your hand (of course just holding
catnip before can't hurt either) try to scratch the cheek area or under
the chin before trying for the head. If they seem to be getting upset
stop and just talk to them.
#5 Get down on their level sit on the floor and talk
#6 Don't give them full run of the house at first a small room is best
I always suggest your bedroom so a cat can get to know you when you are
peaceful and asleep, make sure they have food and water and litter box
of course!
# 7 I try and have some places to hide for them like carriers with the
door off and a blanket over it if you don't have a cat condo post that
has a box to get in. If in your room they will probably choose under
your bed.
# 8 The plug in Feliway and the herbal Rescue Remedy in the water may
help to calm them too.
If I can help let me know I'm always willing to give advice!
Sharla

www.ragdollrescue.com

Old February 1st 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Ollie Clark wrote:
[snip good suggestions]

I'd also add that one of our cats was pretty timid when we got them. She
didn't like being picked up, would hide from almost anyone and certainly
wouldn't sit on your lap. It took about 6 months for her to stop hiding
when someone else was around, about a year to be comfortable being picked
up (even now she will only let you carry her if you hold your arms out
in front of you and she can sit on them but be able to jump down whenever
she wants). It's taken about 2 years for her to actually sit on someone's
lap.

It can take a /long/ time for them to get their confidence up. Most of the
time they will come round given enough time and no pressure.

Thanks a lot Ollie...hearing that makes me feel better! I'll give them time.
One has made some progress already...