POLL - Is it OK to breed your cat?

Old February 22nd 05, 08:16 AM

"The numbers are there. We just don't see them expressed that way. In
the US, the unwanted babies are killed pre-birth, and thus do not
legally count. In many third world countries, kids are dying every day,
but we don't see those"

As I said, I'm personally not making any more human beings. I'm not
going to get into an abortion argument, but I don't see the parallel
between the surgical removal of a 2-4" zygote from the uterus (the 1st
trimester abortion which is the kind commonly performed) and the
euthanasia of a fully born creature. Whatever - opinions may vary and
that's fine. But my concern about overpopulation, feline and otherwise,
is about the born. I'm not worried about the kitty embryos that are
spayed prior to birth. I'm worried about the live ones right here in
front of me.

I don't think children in 3rd world countries, in general, are dying
because their parents don't want them. They're dying because of global
income equity. And believe me, I've traveled extensively and I've seen
them. It's not about parents not loving and wanting the best for the
children. It's about not being able to earn a living wage where they
are.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:24 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-22, Meghan Noecker penned:

I think we have to limit ourselves to what we can handle, not just in terms
of money, but also in time and attention. Just because we can afford 10 cats
doesn't mean we have the time for 10 cats. If they are neglected, then they
are doing no better, probably even worse, than the cats sitting shelters
waiting to be adopted.

This is a very good point. Just yesterday, I saw one of those animal planet
rescue shows in which 70 (SEVENTY!) dogs were retrieved from a property, in
addition to bunches of cats and geese. They didn't discuss the other animals,
but the dogs had reverted to a pack-oriented state, fighting among themselves
for dominance and food. There was evidence of cannibalism as well as severe
injuries from these "pecking order" disputes. Just because someone can afford
70 dogs (not that the owners in question could, apparently) doesn't mean they
can care for them properly and treat them well.

Then again, there are people who do care for feral communities, so ... I
dunno. Cats are certainly different than dogs.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully