It's Official: Buffy Is an *Only* Cat

Old January 26th 16, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default It's Official: Buffy Is an *Only* Cat

Yesterday I was in the "den" on the couch reading a book. Buffy had
been lounging in the living room.

All of a sudden she came bounding into the room, leaped up on the back
of the couch and started YOWLING.

I looked out the window. Uh oh! There was a black cat with white socks
sitting right behind the bushes near the window. She yowled again.

The cat paid no attention to her. Didn't even look in our direction.
It walked on.

She wanted that cat out of her territory.

So, like Persia before her, Buffy doesn't want to have anything to do
with other cats.

Of course it may have a lot to do with her having been bullied by
Frankie in her previous home. Or, in her younger life, as a feral.

She was a fierce orange tiger! Buffy can get loud when she wants to.

Jill
Old February 16th 16, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Yesterday I was in the "den" on the couch reading a book. Buffy had been
lounging in the living room.

All of a sudden she came bounding into the room, leaped up on the back of
the couch and started YOWLING.

I looked out the window. Uh oh! There was a black cat with white socks
sitting right behind the bushes near the window. She yowled again.

The cat paid no attention to her. Didn't even look in our direction. It
walked on.

She wanted that cat out of her territory.

So, like Persia before her, Buffy doesn't want to have anything to do with
other cats.

Of course it may have a lot to do with her having been bullied by Frankie
in her previous home. Or, in her younger life, as a feral.

She was a fierce orange tiger! Buffy can get loud when she wants to.

Jill

Boyfriend will not allow another cat here either. he fights if they come. so
I suppose he's going to be an only cat too. I would love to have one more
but he says no way.

Old February 17th 16, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I cannot imagine having more than one. She sure doesn't want another
cat around.

The two times I saw that cat it was walking towards my neighbor's house
(formerly owned by Fedders and Schwartzie, both RB). Turned out she was
cat-sitting, although why she wasn't doing that at his house I don't
know; she had brought him home with her. I told her how upset Buffy
was, please try to keep him out of our yard.

Buffy was growling and hissing for a good 20 minutes after she saw
Boots, she was that upset. She told me later, Boots is 17 years old.
He's very pretty, but please keep him out of my yard. I'd never seen
Buffy that upset before.

Jill
Old February 27th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

It was nice to have two, Boyfie & KFC got on very well although she did bop
him round the ear now and again ultimately it had been her choice to bring
him home.

The two times I saw that cat it was walking towards my neighbor's house
(formerly owned by Fedders and Schwartzie, both RB). Turned out she was
cat-sitting, although why she wasn't doing that at his house I don't know;
she had brought him home with her. I told her how upset Buffy was, please
try to keep him out of our yard.

Buffy was growling and hissing for a good 20 minutes after she saw Boots,
she was that upset. She told me later, Boots is 17 years old. He's very
pretty, but please keep him out of my yard. I'd never seen Buffy that
upset before.

It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let it
out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But you
cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will go
where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that cats
are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.

Old February 27th 16, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:17:55 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let it
out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But you
cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will go
where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that cats
are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.

That's an interesting approach. But dogs are supposed to be kept under
control and it isn't reasonable to expect a cat to do the same. Of
course, you almost never hear of a cat biting someone who was just
walking by.
Old March 1st 16, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let it
out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But you
cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will go
where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that cats
are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.

She did keep him inside (or maybe took him back home) after I found out
she was the one cat-sitting and letting Bootsie wander. I, too, would
be worried about him wandering off in unfamiliar territory.

Jill
Old March 1st 16, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let it
out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But you
cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will go
where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that cats
are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.

That's an interesting approach. But dogs are supposed to be kept under
control and it isn't reasonable to expect a cat to do the same. Of
course, you almost never hear of a cat biting someone who was just
walking by.

Things are different in the UK. shrug I've never had an
indoor/outdoor cat mainly due to many hazards. Dogs, of course, are
supposed to be leashed. And you're right, cats don't just run up and
bite a stranger like some dogs might.

Jill
Old March 4th 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either. If a dog bites, there is
a very good reason. In my experience with 30+ years with dogs I've only been
bitten once, breaking up a fight, and that was accidental.

Old March 5th 16, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 23:07:00 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either.

Unfortunately, they SOMETIMES do, for no reason we can know.

Not often, but it happens, especially when they're with other dogs.

Old March 5th 16, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

the dog, a Springer Spaniel, we had when I was an infant never bit anyone before I was brought home from the hospital and then she bit _everyone_ but my mother and grandmother who came anywhere _hear_ me. When I started walking she got more lenient about the whole thing and often went a month without biting anyone.

When I was two, Mom brought my little brother home and I was warned not to go near him without my Mom there "because Bumpy will bite you." But she didn't. I was in the Bumpy doesn't bite them club.

No one seemed to think it was odd and no one, to my knowledge, ever suggested putting her down. She died when I was seven and she was almost twenty and had not bitten anyone in about five years. She may have been bored.

--
Will in New Haven

It is official Granby Cat community 5 November 15th 07 02:38 PM
It's official Marina Cat anecdotes 15 April 6th 06 03:37 AM
It's official! -L. Cat health & behaviour 8 April 5th 06 02:56 PM
It's official!! Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 14 November 28th 05 03:03 AM
It's Official [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 October 25th 05 05:16 AM