****ty Kitty Update

Old July 8th 04, 04:00 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", Dally
artfully composed this message within
on 07 Jul 2004:

In these two months, your
household is probably way too hostile for him now.

I had to think about your accusation that the house might be too
hostile. We don't mistreat him in anyway. He's quite a nice
cat - affectionate, purrs easily, gets along well with
everybody, enjoys everybody's company (including our dog)...
that's why we didn't return him the first day. Or the first
month. Or the second month.

But I'm not willing to live with cat **** every day. It's not
HIM, it's his behavior that I object to. I can distinguish.

My first thought was, if you have to deal with cat **** daily like
you are, how are you reacting? If you react in an angry manner, or
even if you think you don't but ****ty Kitty is picking up on
negativity, that is what I meant by hostile. Seriously, you can't
help but act a certain way, particularly if you are posting here at
your wits end. Read Megan's email. She can probably help. You're
going to make your own decision based on what you can handle,
anyway, so it can't hurt to go see some suggestions. Best wishes
and purrs to you all.

--
Cheryl
Old July 8th 04, 04:02 AM
Dally

Mary wrote:

Tell me one reason why I ought not to bring him back to the shelter?

A had a cat who would not poo in the litter box but he'd sometimes pee in
there. Turned out his sensitive persian paws were allergic to the litter I was
using. I changed it to an unscented type and he never missed again.

This cat just has a fixation on one corner of my downstairs powder-room.
We've been through four kinds of litter and he has the litterbox
configuration he likes best. When we confine him to the room where his
litterbox is he never has an accident. We've been confining him in two
different rooms just for variety (a day place and a night place) and he
never has any litterbox problems.

Until he gets into the downstairs powderroom. Then he ****s on the floor.

Then he lies on the floor outside the room watching us intently as we
clean it up.

I had to
put extra litter boxes around the house with the new litter. Then I had to
clean with enzymatic cleaner all the places he'd soil.

I've done this.

I also put upside down
carpet runners on those spots.

I haven't tried this. Because the toilet is right there it's hard to
carpet it, per se, but I could place foil all over the floor or
something. All my other attempts at filling that spot have only
resulted in him ****ting directly in front of the barricade, though, so
I suspect this would involve carpeting the whole bathroom. That I just
had professionally tiled.

Today I allowed him access to the powder-room after two weeks of
confinement getting litter-box trained.

That didn't work.

I also bought a special oil cats weren't supposed to like and sprayed it
there.

That didn't work.

I also watched him walk into the bathroom and pee while I held a spray
bottle getting ready to spray him if he squatted.

That didn't work - he came back to poop after I stopped watching.

It took some patience but he was okay. He also
had colitis and would get diarrhea if he was upset or ate anything other than
chicken and rice food that I made for him.

He got diarrhea unless you made him a special diet? Or if he got upset?

And you thought those were acceptable living terms?

Dally

Old July 8th 04, 04:03 AM
Mary

"Dally" wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.health+behav", Dally
artfully composed this message within
on 07 Jul 2004:

Tell me one reason why I ought not to bring him back to the shelter?

Because, Dally, he will be put to death. If you can live with that, it

certainly is your choice, I guess.

That definitely weighs heavily on me.

So you did NOT get him from a no-kill shelter?

Old July 8th 04, 04:49 AM

Dally wrote:

Plus I clean all three litter boxes and wipe the
diarhea off the walls and clean up the puke.

Could the cleaners and sprays you use to discourage him from that room
be causing this?

-mhd

Old July 8th 04, 04:55 AM
Mary

wrote in message
Dally wrote:

Plus I clean all three litter boxes and wipe the
diarhea off the walls and clean up the puke.

Could the cleaners and sprays you use to discourage him from that room
be causing this?

We've already established that she used bleach, which can have an ammonia
smell to cats and attract them to eliminate there.

Old July 8th 04, 05:05 AM

"Mary" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Dally wrote:

Plus I clean all three litter boxes and wipe the
diarhea off the walls and clean up the puke.

Could the cleaners and sprays you use to discourage him from that room
be causing this?

We've already established that she used bleach, which can have an ammonia
smell to cats and attract them to eliminate there.

She also mentioned some "oil" substance that supposedly discourages
cats. I have since seen that she also has plants that the cat may have
gotten into.

-mhd

My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
kitty vs puss Brenda Cat anecdotes 30 January 26th 04 04:28 PM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 09:48 PM