POLL - Is it OK to breed your cat?

Old February 4th 05, 10:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-04, Slimpickins penned:

***My answer is, "of course!". This assumes that the owner(s) are loving,
and very responsible and will be completely responsible for the kittens
needs, care, and placement. Isn't this America after all?

Oh, joy, yet another self-centered american that thinks that the "interweb" is
somehow constrained to national boundaries.

This may come as a revelation to you, but the US isn't the only country with
running water, electricity, and even newsgroup access!

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old February 4th 05, 10:56 PM
Slimpickins

On 2005-02-04, Slimpickins penned:

***My answer is, "of course!". This assumes that the owner(s) are

loving,
and very responsible and will be completely responsible for the kittens
needs, care, and placement. Isn't this America after all?

Oh, joy, yet another self-centered american that thinks that the

"interweb" is
somehow constrained to national boundaries.

This may come as a revelation to you, but the US isn't the only country

with
running water, electricity, and even newsgroup access!

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** My point seems to have flown past your head. Sorry about your
comprehension problem.

ML

Old February 4th 05, 11:05 PM

The only circumstances in which any breeding is acceptable to me
(purebred or moggie) is if the breeder keeps the entire litter of
kittens in their home from birth to death and spays all of the progeny
asap. I'd still consider it less desirable than adopting a household of
already-existing cats, but in this case it is merely a vanity project.
The minute any of the kittens are placed outside their birth home, then
the breeding becomes an act of eugenics: deciding that one set of cats
is more deserving of life due to their genetic makeup than another set
of cats are. And I find that reprehensible.

Old February 4th 05, 11:53 PM
Mary

Old February 4th 05, 11:54 PM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...
The only circumstances in which any breeding is acceptable to me
(purebred or moggie) is if the breeder keeps the entire litter of
kittens in their home from birth to death and spays all of the progeny
asap. I'd still consider it less desirable than adopting a household of
already-existing cats, but in this case it is merely a vanity project.
The minute any of the kittens are placed outside their birth home, then
the breeding becomes an act of eugenics: deciding that one set of cats
is more deserving of life due to their genetic makeup than another set
of cats are. And I find that reprehensible.

I really do, too. Interesting point that has not yet been brought up
that I know of.

Old February 5th 05, 12:11 AM
Sherry

***My answer is, "of course!". This assumes that the owner(s) are loving,
and very responsible and will be completely responsible for the kittens
needs, care, and placement. Isn't this America after all?

ML

You're very short-sighted. I would suggest that you volunteer at a kill shelter
for a couple of weeks (or even days) and come back and tell us that again.

Sherry
Old February 5th 05, 12:42 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-04, Mary penned:

On 2005-02-04, Slimpickins penned:

***My answer is, "of course!". This assumes that the owner(s) are
loving, and very responsible and will be completely responsible
for the kittens needs, care, and placement. Isn't this America
after all?

Oh, joy, yet another self-centered american that thinks that the
"interweb" is somehow constrained to national boundaries.

This may come as a revelation to you, but the US isn't the only
country with running water, electricity, and even newsgroup access!

8) *snicker*

It occured to me after I posted this that I'm still not sure what
responsible pet ownership might have to do with being American (as a
whole, we're clearly *not* responsible, as can be seen in the astounding
number of animals euthanized because there's no room for them) ... and if the
point is that America is all about freedom, well, so far I'm not aware that
anyone has marched Slim at gun point to get her cat neutered. So she's free
to blather on and make incredibly irresponsible decisions. And we're free to
chastise her for it on public fora.

Old February 5th 05, 12:42 AM
-L.

KellyH wrote:
I have been labeled an extremist and a lunatic because I do not think

it is
OK for someone to breed their cat. I'm wondering who else feels this

way.
BTW - this is not a breeder, it's just someone with a regular old

moggy who
wants kittens that are just as sweet and special as their cat.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Absolutely not. It is never ok to breed ANY cat when THOUSANDS die
each year for lack of homes. Take him/her down to the pound and show
him the barrels full of "sweet" and "special" dead kittens.

-L.
(this aggravates me to no end!)

Old February 5th 05, 12:43 AM
-L.

Ashley wrote:
"KellyH" wrote in message
I have been labeled an extremist and a lunatic because I do not

think it is
OK for someone to breed their cat. I'm wondering who else feels

this way.
BTW - this is not a breeder, it's just someone with a regular old

moggy who
wants kittens that are just as sweet and special as their cat.

As long as you are committed to keeping and caring for the kittens

should
you not be able to find suitable homes for them, then, yes, I would

say it
is OK. I'd have serious, serious doubts about someone who allowed

their cat
to have more than one litter this way, however. And I don't think

it's OK if
you're not prepared to provide a caring home for the kittens if you

can't
find others who will adopt them.

What about those kitten's kittens, and the next generation, and the
next, and the next? How can you justify those?

-L.

Old February 5th 05, 12:49 AM
KellyH

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Absolutely not. It is never ok to breed ANY cat when THOUSANDS die
each year for lack of homes. Take him/her down to the pound and show
him the barrels full of "sweet" and "special" dead kittens.

Many people seem to be under the impression that kittens don't get put down.
Everyone wants kittens, so therefore they don't die, right? WRONG! At many
shelters, if you bring in a kitten under 8 weeks old (too young for
adoption) it's put down if they do not have foster homes. Same with one
that looks remotely sick. Just about every kitten I have fostered developed
URI, conjunctivitis, diarrhea, or something. I'm sure if they were sitting
in a cage at a municipal shelter, they would be dead.