Feeding cats Sushi?

Old June 3rd 05, 04:28 AM
Brian Link

Default Feeding cats Sushi?

I've been reading the benefits of feeding cats real meat (which makes
sense, since they're not as omnivorous as dogs). It occured to me that
perhaps a nice treat for our cats would be a little chunk of salmon or
tuna bought at our local Sushi bar.

Are there any considerations I should use in tossing a bit of shrimp
to one of our cats? I know there's mercury issues with a lot of fish,
but assuming I can find clean, high-quality fish.

We have a neighborhood fishmonger with a great reputation who takes as
a point of pride his availability of "sushi-grade" fish.

Thanks for any info.

BLink
Old June 3rd 05, 05:02 AM
bigbadbarry

Brian Link wrote:

Thanks for any info.

BLink

maybe a sprig of parsley and a little lemon juice?

Old June 3rd 05, 05:13 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-03, Brian Link penned:

Are there any considerations I should use in tossing a bit of shrimp
to one of our cats? I know there's mercury issues with a lot of
fish, but assuming I can find clean, high-quality fish.

I would make sure there's no wasabi on it!

Seriously, you might be surprised. Oscar loves canned tuna, but
refuses to eat salmon, cooked or raw. On the other hand, she'll
happily scarf down as much cooked chicken as she can. So ... don't be
too disappointed if you toss 'em some shrimp and they just ignore it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 3rd 05, 06:18 AM

Brian Link wrote:
I've been reading the benefits of feeding cats real meat (which makes
sense, since they're not as omnivorous as dogs). It occured to me that
perhaps a nice treat for our cats would be a little chunk of salmon or
tuna bought at our local Sushi bar.

Are there any considerations I should use in tossing a bit of shrimp
to one of our cats? I know there's mercury issues with a lot of fish,
but assuming I can find clean, high-quality fish.

We have a neighborhood fishmonger with a great reputation who takes as
a point of pride his availability of "sushi-grade" fish.

Thanks for any info.

BLink

Brian, I don't really know whether it would make an difference if
you're only giving them fish as a treat basis, but I have heard that
raw fish in the cat's diet can cause Thiamin deficiencies.
Fish really isn't a natural diet for a cat. I wonder how the cats/fish
stereotype came about. It's not like you see cats catching fish or
anything. :-)

Sherry

Old June 3rd 05, 11:33 AM
TheHermit

Sushi hey? Lucky cats!

Being serious though, a small amount of fresh fish as a treat wont do
any harm as long as they are on a balanced diet as a base. Just keep in
mind that cats are fussy eaters and they might not prefer what you give
them, mine turns his nose up at prawns, has only recently started to
have a nibble on tuna, but loves to chew on raw chicken necks. go
figure that one. You are also right, cats are not at all omnivours,
they are obligate carnivours, obligate meaning each meal must consist
primarily of meat of somekind. A lot of people worry about feeding cats
raw meat and think of things such as salmonella and the like, without
realising that the gut of the cat is so much shorter than the humans or
dogs that the way that those bacteria cause food poisening in humans
just wont happen in cats. In the wild, cats will habitually leave prey
to be eaten long after they have made the kill, and I dont know too
many wild cats with access to a freezer

Make sure the fish you give them is fresh and they should be fine, just
dont get them into the habit where all they want is Tuna or Salmon, it
is possible because of the strong smells and flavours that attract cats
to the in the first place. (Lets face it, where is a cat going to hunt
Tuna in the wild!)

Hope your cats have fun with their treats!

The Hermit.

---
Visit http://www.thehovel.com/bb for friendly chatter with cat minded
people.
The Hovel - Feline Friendly Internet.

Old June 3rd 05, 01:31 PM
PawsForThought via CatKB.com

Hi Brian,
If you're only giving the fish as occasional treats, I see nothing that
would be bad. Here's an article on cats and feeding fish you might find
interesting:

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/fish.php

Lauren

Old June 3rd 05, 07:45 PM
bigbadbarry

Barb wrote:
I offered each of my cats a shrimp yesterday for the second time and again
they wouldn't go near it.

My cat made a meal from raw meat maybe 3 times in the past 5-6 months.

The rest has been catfood.

since then he's eaten 3 raisin bran flakes, licked a potatoe chip, and,
took a nap on an un-eaten tortilla chip. I'm glad he doesn't beg.

I don't like to eat with a begging animal around. Makes me choke or
something.

Old June 3rd 05, 08:00 PM
bigbadbarry

bigbadbarry wrote:
Barb wrote:
I offered each of my cats a shrimp yesterday for the second time and again
they wouldn't go near it.

My cat made a meal from raw meat maybe 3 times in the past 5-6 months.

The rest has been catfood.

since then he's eaten 3 raisin bran flakes, licked a potatoe chip, and,
took a nap on an un-eaten tortilla chip. I'm glad he doesn't beg.

I don't like to eat with a begging animal around. Makes me choke or
something.

but! I wouldn't mind a polite cat :-)

My great grandad kept a big ol cat.

Living in the south, they always sat down as a family to eat. This big
ol' cat would climb up one the buffet behind my g.grandad, and set
there real quiet. Every so often the cat would touch g.grandad on the
shoulder for a bite of something. my g.grandad never turned around,
he'd just slip it to him over his shoulder, and keep on talking and
eating.

Old June 3rd 05, 08:30 PM
Barb

I offered each of my cats a shrimp yesterday for the second time and again
they wouldn't go near it.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

[...]