How declawing saved my cat's life and gave him 6 more years (and counting)

Old November 27th 03, 03:43 AM
Karen M.

Iso wrote:

Everyone,

Just be happy that the cat isn't in a shelter waiting to find a home, or on
the street. Be happy the cat has a home. It's one less cat everyone has to
worry about being hit by a car, or even euthanized. Deal with it.

Wow, what an enlightened post. Let's wait and see what this kind owner
does if/when his cat starts peeing inappropriately, or develops some
kind of illness that requires more than $100 worth of medical treatment.
I'd almost bet money kitty's a goner.

Old November 27th 03, 03:44 AM
Sherry

Iso wrote:

Everyone,

Just be happy that the cat isn't in a shelter waiting to find a home, or on
the street. Be happy the cat has a home. It's one less cat everyone has to
worry about being hit by a car, or even euthanized. Deal with it.

Wow, what an enlightened post. Let's wait and see what this kind owner
does if/when his cat starts peeing inappropriately, or develops some
kind of illness that requires more than $100 worth of medical treatment.
I'd almost bet money kitty's a goner.

Or just wait until (surprise!) new owner learns that not only do cats scratch,
they bite, they poop, they pee, and they shed all over the place. Will kitty
then be de-toothed, and de-furred? Is it *still* better to be detoothed,
defurred and declawed than spend time in a cage at a shelter?

Sherry

Old November 27th 03, 04:11 AM
Iso

Karen,

Do you honestly believe that every single cat that is declawed starts peeing
inappropriately, or develops some kind of illness that requires more than
$100 worth of medical treatment? It's rash to think that if one can afford
to have the declawing procedure completed on a cat, that one can't afford to
purchase $100.00 worth of medical treatment for the cat. Moreover, I am
presuming that since the cat has been in the ownership of the original
poster for six and a half years, the cat and owner have adapted as best they
can and the owner will not abandon the animal. Your post indicates that you
have no apprehension for the current situation and want to live in the past
tense. When and if the cat ends up being given away, at a shelter or
abandoned I will offer an apology stating that I am wrong. However, until
then, be content that the cat is being cared for by a seemingly everyday
person that wants to care for the cat. I can't do anything to give the cat
its claws back, nor can you.

Old November 27th 03, 04:31 AM
Karen M.

Sherry wrote:

Iso wrote:

Everyone,

Just be happy that the cat isn't in a shelter waiting to find a home, or on
the street. Be happy the cat has a home. It's one less cat everyone has to
worry about being hit by a car, or even euthanized. Deal with it.

Wow, what an enlightened post. Let's wait and see what this kind owner
does if/when his cat starts peeing inappropriately, or develops some
kind of illness that requires more than $100 worth of medical treatment.
I'd almost bet money kitty's a goner.

Or just wait until (surprise!) new owner learns that not only do cats scratch,
they bite, they poop, they pee, and they shed all over the place. Will kitty
then be de-toothed, and de-furred? Is it *still* better to be detoothed,
defurred and declawed than spend time in a cage at a shelter?

Sherry

Well, *yes*!! At least they have a home!

Old November 27th 03, 05:02 AM
Sherry

Kalyahna,

You may be the exception. I know that for many shelters it is a fire code
violation and a health violation to leave animals unattended. They may
change in the future, but in the state I live the shelters, "no-kill" or
otherwise have to put all the animals in cages when they are unattended.

Pffft. I'm not familiar with the post you're replying to, since you never seem
to copy the text you're replying to, and I don't want to take the time to dig
it up. I don't think that's practiced everywhere. I'd be interested if you
could cite the wording of the ordinance. I would also be surprised if it's a
state-wide regulation, it sounds more like a municipal ordinance to me.

Sherry

Old November 27th 03, 05:09 AM
Sherry

Sherry,

You have a point regarding "plenty of cats get returned to shelters
because of peeing inappropriately and biting," but what about the others
that aren't returned. As you probably already know, individuals don't concur
with the idea that declawing is any more inappropriate than
neutering/spaying a cat.

*Some* individuals. The uneducated or new pet owners.

Some people declaw as a last resort, others declaw
because they don't know any better, or don't want to spend the time trying
to train the cat to use a scratching post. Regardless of how malice

I so do not understand your use of the word "malice" in this sentence.

the
procedure may actually be, would you rather the cat be given to a shelter or
the local humane society, with the intention to HOPE they can find the cat a
home?

For the nth time. It does not have to be a choice, but yes, I would rather the
cat go to a Humane Society than be mutilated--declaw does NOT guarantee a
forever home.

I think this post (if it's not a troll) is the exception. The cat now
has a home, not a cage in a shelter and a picture on a website with a
description of age, temperament, and needs. Just be happy the cat has a home
and is fed everyday.

I would suggest to you that you watch a declaw and follow the cat through
recovery.
Honestly sometimes I think some people think declaw is just a permanent
manicure.

Sherry