How declawing saved my cat's life and gave him 6 more years (and counting)

Old November 26th 03, 05:05 PM
Iso

Understandably so, but who is to say that the cat wont be taken care of? I
am presuming that since the cat has been in the ownership of the poster for
six and a half years, that he or she has become somewhat attached to the cat
and wouldn't "dump" the animal because of the reasons you indicated. I don't
essentially agree with declawing. There are statistics that are being
compiled by the local University (in my area) regarding how many felines are
declawed yearly, opposed to how many declawed cats turn up in shelters and
the humane society on a yearly basis. The University is doing this research
in an unbiased manor as a pledge to community service. Since there are so
many people that are against the procedure of declawing, the hope is to
finally have a resolution on the subject (in my area). These are due to be
published soon. I'll email you when they become available.

Old November 26th 03, 05:11 PM
Mary

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
"Wendy"
writes
.... I have heard of other cats apparently doing
fine after a declaw. The problem is I've heard of declawed cats

who have
larger problems because of the declaw then the owner would have

had if they
hadn't done it. My niece adopted a declawed cat who had one toe

that just
wouldn't heal///

...the problem I had with the poster is apparently no
effort was made to adjust the scratching behavior before the

:kitty ended up
declawed.

Evidently, you and I (and a very large group of people who are

informed about
the issue) support the no-declaw position and believe of the

horrific cruelty
of the procedure. However, there is another very large group of

people who do
not yet believe or are unaware of the steps constituting a declaw

and that is
is perceived/it is cruel and inhumane. Both groups are cat lovers

and both
groups do much to improve the lives of strays, cats waiting for

adoption,
and/or family pets.

I just want to say, again, that I am someone who has seen both side. I
adopted a pregnant, semi-feral stray at six months old, and had her
declawed because

1. She destroyed everything
2. I had no idea it was mutilation'
3. I was young and ignorant and had no idea I could train her.

Once I saw her after the operation I felt like some kind of Nazi. She
was in pain and her formerly beautiful little front feet just looked
like dustmops. Never the brightest kitty (but I loved her just as she
was!) she had always been easily frightened and aggressive, sometimes
for no reason. This got worse after the declaw--she became a biter,
and I mean to the bone. How did I get her to stop? I lightly smacked
her, said "no" and isolated her in a time-out room. Eventually she
stopped breaking the skin and would just bite me lightly and then lick
me.

She stopped covering her poo in the box after declawing and stopped
being as playful, too. I did right by here, kept her safe and indoors
and took good care of her. She lived to be 20.

When I adopted my current two cats there was never any question about
declawing. I would never do it again. Cats who feel helpless get mean
and are easily frightened. I think declawing my first cat made her
already mistrustful and fearful personality worse. It is one of the
few things in my life that I truly regret.

Just my 2 cents.

Old November 26th 03, 05:25 PM
Iso

Cat Protector,

Then let me pose the question (and don't bend what I type). Would you rather
the cat (from the original post) be "FULLY CLAWED" in a cage at a shelter,
humane society or otherwise, waiting to be adopted (which presumably may
never happen). OR, would you rather the cat be declawed (as is currently
is), residing in a seemingly well taken care of environment, where it is
most probably fed on a regular basis, and given what special needs it has to
have by, an owner who may be uneducated and unconcerned about the procedure
of declawing, but otherwise cares for the cat? Which would you choose?

In my previous post to you, I never attempted to "sugar coat" the idea of
declawing. Your understanding of declawing comes from you educating yourself
about the matter and making your own decision regarding the issue. My point
is that the majorities of first time cat owners don't bother to do the
research on the topic of declawing, and fail to seek to resolve the matter
using other methods. Just because this particular cat is declawed, doesn't
specifically indicate that it will become another declaw statistic in a
shelter for cats that are abandoned. Not every cat that is declawed is
abandoned later in life. This cat may be exception!

Old November 26th 03, 05:48 PM
Cat Protector

I would rather see the cat get a good home from the shelter and still be
fully declawed. I don't believe in de-clawing period. Your theory is pretty
week because I never felt the need to declaw my cat Isis when I first
adopted her. Isis to this day still has all her claws. Isis BTW, is the
first cat I ever adopted. Your whole reasoning for declawing is really not
of sound basis since their is no excuse for mutilating a cat, period. BTW,
what makes you think that a cat in a shelter is always in a cage? There are
at least a coupld of shelters I know of here in the Phoenix area that have
cat rooms where the cats can freely mingle with both humans and the other
cats up for adoption.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
om...

Old November 26th 03, 06:21 PM
Wendy

"Mary" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

I never really thought about declawing one way or the other until last year
when we got new carpeting and Ralf went to town. We have always had
scratching posts and he was really cooperative getting his nails clipped (a
real surprise as he HATED being picked up and was an extremely "shy"cat). We
tried covering the spots he scratched with something else and he just moved
on to another spot. The dh threatened to take him to have him declawed and
that's when I had to address the whole issue. I may have had it done but by
then I was aware that it was an amputation and that gave me real pause.
Additionally I was already aware of potential complications because of my
nieces' cat. Unfortunately he died before we found a solution other than
locking him in the laundry room at night as that's when he would do the
damage. I'll wonder for the rest of my days if he found something toxic in
there and that's what killed him. ( Since then I have read a lot on the
net and have had success with Isabelle. I just wish I had know with Ralf
what I found out since.