IAMS CAT FOOD ?

Old July 16th 04, 03:11 AM
kelly

Default IAMS CAT FOOD ?

If you buy dog or cat food from the Iams Pet Food Company, you need to
visit a website iamscruelty.com.
Apparently, Iams keeps cats and dogs to TEST their foods on before it
goes to market. I had no idea pet food manufacturers used animals to
make a better food - but some do! Iams keeps cats and dogs in cages to
take blood, stool, urine and even muscle tissue samples as they
conduct nutritional testing. I was extremely upet to learn this and
immediately researched pet food companies that do not test on animals
- and there are a lot of them! My puppies now eat Wellness food and
they love it! No animal testing on this stuff!

Anyone who loves cats and dogs MUST visit iamscruelty.com and send an
email to Iams and tell them to stop testing on poor kitties and
puppies!!!
Old July 16th 04, 04:44 AM
Jon C

"kelly" wrote in message
om...
If you buy dog or cat food from the Iams Pet Food Company, you need to
visit a website iamscruelty.com.
Apparently, Iams keeps cats and dogs to TEST their foods on before it
goes to market. I had no idea pet food manufacturers used animals to
make a better food - but some do! Iams keeps cats and dogs in cages to
take blood, stool, urine and even muscle tissue samples as they
conduct nutritional testing. I was extremely upet to learn this and
immediately researched pet food companies that do not test on animals
- and there are a lot of them! My puppies now eat Wellness food and
they love it! No animal testing on this stuff!

As I posted in the other newsgroup, Wellness does testing of all of their
foods on animals, including taking multiple blood samples.

Anything less is irresponsible, and you should quit your drivel.

Old July 16th 04, 01:48 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Jon C"

"kelly" wrote in message
. com...
If you buy dog or cat food from the Iams Pet Food Company, you need to
visit a website iamscruelty.com.
Apparently, Iams keeps cats and dogs to TEST their foods on before it
goes to market. I had no idea pet food manufacturers used animals to
make a better food - but some do! Iams keeps cats and dogs in cages to
take blood, stool, urine and even muscle tissue samples as they
conduct nutritional testing. I was extremely upet to learn this and
immediately researched pet food companies that do not test on animals
- and there are a lot of them! My puppies now eat Wellness food and
they love it! No animal testing on this stuff!

As I posted in the other newsgroup, Wellness does testing of all of their
foods on animals, including taking multiple blood samples.

Anything less is irresponsible, and you should quit your drivel.

I believe Wellness does not do feeding trials the way IAMS does. Also, IAMS is
owned by Proctor and Gamble which does animal vivasection. You can read more
he

"In one experiment, 24 young dogs had their right kidneys removed and the left
partly damaged to investigate how protein affects dogs with kidney failure.
Eight dogs were killed to analyse the kidney tissue. Dogs which became sick
were not treated because it would have undermined the test results.

"In another test, the stomachs of 28 cats were exposed so scientists could
analyse the effects of feeding them fibre. The animals were operated on for at
least two hours and then killed.

"The research team sterilised 24 female cats, which were then over-fed until
they became obese. They were then starved on a crash diet and when they had
lost at least 30 per cent of their weight their livers were examined to
investigate the link between weight loss and liver disease. The company also
sponsored research in which 14 husky puppies were repeatedly injected with live
virus vaccines and allergy-causing proteins for the first 12 weeks of their
lives. They developed permanent illnesses in the test, which was designed to
see how severely allergic they could become.

"Twelve huskies, 12 poodles and 12 labradors were regularly given chest wounds
to see if diet could affect fur regrowth. This was justified in the study on
the grounds that "dogs are enjoyable to touch and look at... Dogs with coat
problems are simply not handled as much."

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Lauren

________
Old July 16th 04, 01:48 PM
PawsForThought

Old July 16th 04, 05:17 PM
Jon C

Not that you don't have valid points, but all of those sound like
responsible research practices to me. Considering how common some of these
problems are, and the amount of baseless conjecture there is about the
topics being studied, I can't find fault with these. Without research
exactly as described here, the science of animal nutrition isn't going
anywhere.

I don't know if Wellness does feeding trials the way IAMS does, but Wellness
does do feeding trials, which include taking multiple blood samples. I've
seen the AAFCO feeding trials bashed on here and elsewhere because they're
so easy and not even remotely comprehensive. It sounds like IAMS' feeding
tests are much more comprehensive and look at a far larger set of variables.
This is a bad thing?

Jon