A new world is discovered

Old January 19th 05, 12:48 AM
Dan M

Default A new world is discovered

Yes, this morning Harri Roadcat and I discovered a whole new world - the
world of predawn kitten walks.

We spent the night at the Pilot truck stop in north Palm Springs. I went
in to the truck stop to shower this morning, and when I came out (around
5:30 AM) the temperature was around 70 degrees with just a light breeze.
It felt great! When I returned to the truck Harri was sitting in the
driver side footwell - her signal that she wants a walk. We were parked
right on the edge of the property with a a large empty field behind us
and a high-intensity streetlight next to us. I figured "Why not? It
won't last very long" (our recent walks have only lasted 10 or 15
minutes before Harri has wanted to go back).

So I hooked up her harness and leash and we set off. Talk about a
change! Normally she hates being within 50 feet or so of other people's
trucks - she finds them very scary. But not this morning! Her tail sent
straight up with a little curl at the end, and she started
kitten-prancing around the scrub brush and sand piles. Instead of the
usual slow meander and occasional stop to sniff, she was darting every
which way, making pounces in invisible bugs, leaping from sand pile to
sand pile - it was like she was a new kitten!

Normally when we come upon an insect hole or lizard hole it warrants a
couple of bops with a paw. This morning, though, such a discovery
required a couple of very impressive pounces followed by a flurry of bops.

And when we happened upon a small tree with a bird perched on it's
branches, Harri saw it and started to climb after it. Normally she
doesn't even see birds, but whe saw this one and wanted it! Of course it
heard her coming and flew off, but she sure gave it a good try.

We got to hear all sorts of night-birds that we couldn't see, saw a few
bats go flitting by, and even saw a couple of owls cruising overhead. I
watched them closely - they were BIG owls.

We're going to have to do pre-dawn kitten walks a lot more often. I
absolutely LOVE to see Harri enjoying herself like that.

Dan
Old January 19th 05, 01:26 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Dan M at wrote on
1/18/05 6:48 PM:

[...]

It's "her time of day"

Old January 19th 05, 12:01 PM
jmcquown

Dan M wrote:
Yes, this morning Harri Roadcat and I discovered a whole new world -
the world of predawn kitten walks.

Instead of the usual slow meander and occasional stop to sniff, she
was darting every which way, making pounces in invisible bugs,
leaping from sand pile to sand pile - it was like she was a new
kitten!

We're going to have to do pre-dawn kitten walks a lot more often. I
absolutely LOVE to see Harri enjoying herself like that.

Dan

How fun! And I love that she has a "signal" for you for walkies!

Jill

Old January 19th 05, 02:14 PM
Marina

Dan M wrote:

We're going to have to do pre-dawn kitten walks a lot more often. I
absolutely LOVE to see Harri enjoying herself like that.

Lovely. Frank and Nikki always enjoy being outside at dusk and dawn when
we're out on the island.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old January 19th 05, 06:51 PM
O J

Dan M wrote:

Yes, this morning Harri Roadcat and I discovered a whole new world - the
world of predawn kitten walks.

Sounds like it was a very natural time for her to be on the prowl.
She obviously enjoyed herself.

We spent the night at the Pilot truck stop in north Palm Springs.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, it is (or at least was) a fabulous
place.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old January 19th 05, 07:35 PM
SUQKRT

In article , Dan M wrote:

We're going to have to do pre-dawn kitten walks a lot more often. I
absolutely LOVE to see Harri enjoying herself like that.

Dan

Sounds wonderful. I love reading about your travels with Harri.
Suz
Macmoosette

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
--Faith Resnick

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old January 19th 05, 07:39 PM
Dan M

If that's the one I'm thinking of, it is (or at least was) a fabulous
place.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

This one used to be a Beacon. Pretty small, badly organized parking,
hard to get in to the scale, but the showers and restrooms are usually
pretty clean.

And they have an excellent kitten-walking field next door

Dan
Old January 19th 05, 10:06 PM
polonca12000

Lovely story! Thanks.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Dan M" wrote in message
Yes, this morning Harri Roadcat and I discovered a whole new world - the
world of predawn kitten walks.

snip

Old January 20th 05, 02:50 AM
Tanada

SUQKRT wrote:

In article , Dan M wrote:

We're going to have to do pre-dawn kitten walks a lot more often. I
absolutely LOVE to see Harri enjoying herself like that.

Dan

Sounds wonderful. I love reading about your travels with Harri.
Suz
Macmoosette

Makes me think of the Hope/Cosby/Lamour road movies. Now who gets to
play the Cosby roles?

Pam S.