OT - oh b*gger

Old March 21st 04, 10:14 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default OT - oh b*gger

Vernon's computer has just self-immolated.... b*gger! Ah the smell of burning
plastic on a Sunday morning!

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old March 21st 04, 07:34 PM
Takayuki

omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

Vernon's computer has just self-immolated.... b*gger! Ah the smell of burning
plastic on a Sunday morning!

I did something dumb that led to the same thing.

I was getting annoyed with the sound of my computer, so I drilled a
hole in the wall, put up some faceplates, and banished the computer in
a different room separate from the keyboard, monitor, etc.

That was a few months ago. In the den, I use the computer in
satisfying silence.

Two days ago, however, my computer suddenly rebooted, and booted, and
booted...

I went to the computer room to investigate, and found that the power
supply fan had died, causing it to overheat. Along the way, it burned
out something on the motherboard. I didn't notice because the
computer was in another room.

So I bought a new power supply. I put it in, but the computer keeps
rebooting. I found that the computer also spontaneously turns itself
on. That gives me a clue - there are two pins on the motherboard,
than when shorted, can toggle the motherboard power on and off. There
must be a current leak associated with this circuit. If that is the
case, then all I needed to do was get successfully into Windows NT.
Windows automatically disables this motherboard feature upon startup,
in order to prevent the user from shutting down the PC without going
through the software shutdown procedure.

So here I am - the motherboard is still screwed up, but as long as I
stay in Windows, everything is fine.

Old March 22nd 04, 01:50 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Takayuki wrote:

[...]

You're lucky - my computer REFUSES to shut down, using the windows "shut
down" icon - all it does is give me that damned blue "fatal error"
screen. Soemtimes, if I hit "control-alt-delete" it will reboot (rather
than sutting down), other times it freezes. If that happens I must
reboot, get that irritating "If you wish to avoid this message in future
you must shut down properly" message while the computer scans for disk
errors, and boots up on again. To actually shut down, I must do
"control-alt-delete" and "end task" twice, before the "shut down" option
appears. Then, if I click on "shut down", it USUALLY does it without
showing me the blue screen. (But not always.)

I've had the problem ever since I got the computer. While it was still
under guarantee, I tried to get Gateway's tech support people to solve
the problem. After being instructed to reformat my drive (without
telling me that's what I was doing, with the consquent loss of all the
files already saved there), and reinstall the supplied discs, I had to
wait until Gateway could send someone to install a new CD-Rom drive
(which the computer told me I didn't have, although it was READING the
disc that was IN it!) And of course, when I finally had access to my
computer again, the first time I tried to shut down in the normal way,
guess what?

After all that, it just seemed easier to adapt to the computer's
peculiarities, instead.
Old March 22nd 04, 04:19 AM
badwilson

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
Vernon's computer has just self-immolated.... b*gger! Ah the smell of

burning
plastic on a Sunday morning!

Cheers, helen s

That sucks. Was it spontaneous computer combustion?
A friends motorbike spontaneously combusted a few weeks ago. It was just
parked in the parking lot of a local hotel and suddenly burst into flames.
Luckily the security guard noticed and sprayed some fire extinguisher on it.
All the plastic parts were melted, as was the seat and it had to be
completely rewired :-(
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old March 23rd 04, 12:25 PM
JP Hobbs

Good gracious, I honestly thought those things only
happened to me,whit asks me stupid things, or tells me
Ive done something wrong and I dont know what, I
scream insideand just wish there was some way I could
talk back to it,like tonight Ionly did everything the same as usual
when I switched on but it kept telling me this computer has
done something illegal, and will be shut down which it promptly
did, 3 times, but I won in the end so here I am. Jean.P.