What is that glop?

Old March 20th 04, 08:03 AM
badwilson

"Takayuki" wrote in message
news
John F. Eldredge wrote:

When my sister was 5, she suddenly became unwilling to eat whole peas
or beans, although she would eat them if they had been pureed. This
lasted into her teens, when she gradually went back to eating peas
and beans, and finally told the rest of the family what the reason
had been. One of her classmates in kindergarten had told her that
beans (in a serving of baked beans, if I recall correctly) were bugs.
Even though she knew, even at age 5, that beans came from plants,
every time that she looked at beans or peas, the memory came back and
killed her appetite.

It's a good thing your sister didn't have my experience. I was once
eating cooked green soybeans still in their pods. They're sort of
like lima beans. Since the cooking made them slippery, and the pods
split easily, I was eating the beans by squeezing them into my mouth
one by one.

At least, until I came upon one that when squeezed, produced no bean,
but only a single drop of bitter juice. When I opened up the pod to
investigate, I found that what looked like a large beetle larva had
already eaten the bean and taken its place.

Great, just great. I eat a lot of those soybeans too, I love them when they
are still frozen. But now I'll be paranoid about checking for beetle
larvae!
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old March 20th 04, 10:36 AM
JP Hobbs

Yowie you had me going with that soup, I was fair tasting it because
I'm not eating it at the moment as its not good for my diet,but when you got
to the bit about Joel throwing up,I couldn't stop laughing, you sounded so
proud of it too, what a shame hugs Jean.
Yowie wrote in message
u...
"CATherine" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:31:41 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

"CATherine" wrote in

message
.. .

snip fussy cats

The whole episode reminded me of one day a few years ago when my son
came in and asked "What is that awful smell?" I was cooking cabbage.
Everyone in my household eats something different. :-P

Last night I made pumpkin and ginger soup. From scratch. Even the stock

was
home-made and had been carefully syphoned off minced (ground) beef that

we
fry when we make pasta dishes. Half a grey pumpkin went in and I boiled

the
daylights out of it to make it sweet and soft. It was sooooo thick the

spoon
easily stood up in it and I had to spoon the stuff out, it couldn't be
poured.

I have *never* had a better pumpkin soup.

Joel took just two spoonfuls before he raced to the loo to throw up, he
thought it was that bad.

You can't please everyone....

Yowie
(in his defence, Joel now tells me that he hates all thick, stodgy

soups
with mono-texture. He could have told me that *before* I started, and

then
I could have saved his bowl for me. Unfortuantley, he had poured far

too
much salt into his bowl for me to enjoy it at all, so Fluffy got a full

bowl
of my masterpeice all to herself)

Is a grey pumpkin anything like the orange Halloween punkins we have
here? I can't imagine punkin cooked as anything but in a punkin pie or
cookies or bread.

Seems the post I made from work hasn't shown up so I'll repeat it here.

The pumpkin in question was purchased from the supermarket and was, as far
as I can tell, the Jarradale variety, which has a grey/blue skin and deep
orange flesh. It looked to me alot like a Queensland Blue pumpkin, but
smaller, although that of course wouldn't help you folk who have no idea
what a Queensland Blue is either.

The main way we aussies eat pumpkins is roasted, with a roast bit of meat.
So we'd have roast lamb, beef or pork, with roast potatoes, roast pumpkin
and maybe roast onions, plus boiled peas, and the gravy of course, and
traditionally on Sunday too.

The other ways we eat pumpkin tend to be a soup vegetable, in a

mixed-veggie
stew. Or as pumkin soup itself. Or sometimes mashed with mashed potato.

But
themost popular ways are either as a roast veggie, or as pumpkin soup.

Apparantly we Australians call all "winter squashes" pumpkins, and this is
where the confusion might lie. A pumpkin, to me, is a hard skinned, hard
orange fleshed (at least when raw) vegetable with seeds in the middle.

There
are lots of different varieties, but the main eating ones are Jarradale,
Buttenut, Queensland Blue, and Jap. A *squash* to me, is what you folk

might
know as a "summer squash" and has a sot, edible skin, and a
zucchini/corgette is a classic example of one. The other ones we get are
what I know as "UFOs".

A picture of a Jarrahdale pumpkin (note the different spelling) can be

found
with lots of other varieties I've never heard of at:
http://www.ebfarm.com/farmstand/farm...umpkin-id.html

A picture of what I know as "squash" (except mine are yellow) can be found
at

http://commhum.mccneb.edu/fstdatabas...pinisquash.htm

The recipe I use dto make my pumpkin soup was:

1/4f the pumpkin, deskinned, de-seeded and cubed into roughly one inch

cubes
(give or take)

Put into saucepan and added stock until pumpin almost covered

Boil until pumpkin nice and soft

Add easpoon crushed ginger

Wizz with food processor until mooshy (I like mine to have a *bit* of
texture left)

Season with salt & pepper. Could add milk or sour cream, but since Joel is
lactose intolerant, I didn't.

Exceedingly healthy and low fat, and very very filling.

Yowie

Old March 20th 04, 12:33 PM
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
"CATherine" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:31:41 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

"CATherine" wrote in
message ...

snip fussy cats

[...]

(snip recipe)
Yowie

I adore pumpkin soup, even though the ones I buy here are American sweet
pumpkins or blue hubbard squash for soup. Oh, or butternut squash, which
makes a very nice creamy soup.

Weren't you worried about giving the cat all the salt Joel dumped in the
soup?

Jill

Old March 20th 04, 12:49 PM
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

snip

I adore pumpkin soup, even though the ones I buy here are American sweet
pumpkins or blue hubbard squash for soup. Oh, or butternut squash, which
makes a very nice creamy soup.

Weren't you worried about giving the cat all the salt Joel dumped in the
soup?

Nah, Fluffy is a dog. And dogs, as far as I can tell, were put on this earth
to serve as garbage disposal units for us humans. She'll eat *anything*
(even recycled cat food, ewww!) so no, the extra salt wan't a concern for
me. Its when she breaks into a bag of candy and goes hyper on the sugar that
I get concerned about what she's eating.

Shmogg (the cat) has far more shall we say "delicate" tastes. He's generally
not a big fan of human food, although KFC is a big exception.

Yowie

Old March 20th 04, 02:01 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:31:32 -0500, Takayuki
yodeled:

John F. Eldredge wrote:

[...]

MMMMMMMM!

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 21st 04, 02:14 AM
JP Hobbs

Oh my god,that would be simply dreadful. Jean.P.

Kreisleriana wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:37:55 -0500, Takayuki
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:

LOL. When my brother was about three, my mother lovingly made a pot
of navy bean soup with ham. I love those kinds of soup, but my
brother eyed it with enormous eyes-- my brother had eyes like
saucers-- and declared he could not eat it, and would not elaborate.
Well, you can't stonewall my mom like that, and she went absolutely
berserk. "Just take one spoonful," she pleaded. "WHY can't you eat
it?" she raged. Tears began spilling over my brother's eyes. "I
can't tell you," he insisted. The standoff continued until Mom
prevailed by sheer force of will, and my brother squeaked in a tiny
voice "It looks like vomit."

Case closed. :P

Funny story!

You really had to be there. PS My brother has his own baby now, an
we're eagerly waiting for their first food face-off.

Old March 21st 04, 04:32 AM
Hopitus2

Eeeew. I was taking in lots of soy this-&-that, since it's supposed to be so
good for you; that chocolate soymilk is good; tofu has possibilities; all
sorts of soy products are springing up in lieu of whatever you used to enjoy
before the "soy mania"......recently I discovered soy seems to disagree
violently with my digestive system, so now have to read all fine print on
food products to make sure no soy in there. And there's no beetles involved
whatsoever.
Ng friends who enjoy those grasshoppers, fried or not, can shrug off the
beetle possibility.

"JP Hobbs" jphobbsREMOVE THIS @dodo.com.au wrote in message
: Oh my god,that would be simply dreadful. Jean.P.
:
:
:
: ...
:
: alt.tv.frasier FAQ: http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/
:

Old March 23rd 04, 12:17 PM
JP Hobbs

My Daughterwent off spaghetti for a while when her brother told her it was
worms she was terrified of worms still is,and she never! eats pumpkin
as she says the seeds look like brains, but I never cooked the seeds
anyway. Jean.P.