Cardiomyopathy

Old November 22nd 03, 04:49 AM
Larry Osborne

"Helen" wrote in message
"Larry Osborne" wrote in message
Anybody have any cats with cardiomyopathy and how does one cope?

Management
of the disease, etc.

I got a call the other day from Peepers Vet. Gabrielle Herman (the

usual
vet) had gone over the examination at his annual examination this year

and
noticed that a heart murmur that has been present in the past was

getting
louder ( 2 to 3 on a scale of 6). She wants him in in four months to do

an
ultrasound to see what needs to be done, if anything, as she suspects a
cardiomyopathy. Just her saying that, sent me into a day of grieving

for
seeming healthy playful cat, well except that he doesn't seem to be able

pass up an annual excursion to the vet emergency for a hairball blockage

or
something similar.

Anyway I need to know how to cope at the various degrees that may be
necessary, so I would appreciate some comment. Also some further
information about exactly what ranges of problems this can cause. The

only
thing I've done so far is to check a vet site for some very general
information (not to helpful) about what this is.

Larry Osborne

Take a deep breath, Larry, it's not necessarily an immediate death

sentence.
I have a cat with HCM. He's had it for 4.25 years now, and is doing
absolutely fine, touch wood. He just needs daily meds (one tablet), and
annual heart ultrasounds. Don't wait for the ultrasound, get it done ASAP,
preferably by a feline cardiologist, because if Peepers needs meds, then

the
sooner you start them, the better for the heart.

Some basic info (and a picture of my HCM cat):

http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#HCM1

HTH

Helen

Thanks. It is beginning to feel like there may be more grounds for hope
than I originally thought. I've got to go the vet to pick up some CET Chews
tomorrow so if his primary Vet is not in I will leave a message for her to
contact me. Trouble is I can only go on weekends until late April or early
May because of work demands and I don't know when the ultrasound is used.

Larry Osborne

Old November 22nd 03, 10:06 AM
Helen

"Helen" wrote in message
[...]

might still be possible, my cat's cardiologist insists my cat arrives first
thing, and then they do various tests at their leisure once they think he is
relaxed; so you might find you also don't need to have a specific
appointment time, and can just drop him off first thing and collect him on
your way home.

HTH

Helen

Old November 22nd 03, 12:12 PM
Larry Osborne

"Helen" wrote in message
[...]

I won't know until I can speak with Gabrielle about required timing.
However it works out I know Smudge will try to make this fake replacement of
Peepers miserable for a few days afterward..

Larry Osborne

Old November 26th 03, 03:19 PM
OzFree

Hi Larry and Peepers!

Just thought you both would like to know that YahooGroups have a
discussion forum called "Feline Heart" ... there's a lot of us sad
people on there doing our best to help our kitties and sharing info,
so it might be a good group to join.

Licks and purrs from my sick babies to your Peeper :-)

Catherine