Maine-Coon wanderer

Old December 1st 03, 11:07 PM
Stuart

Default Maine-Coon wanderer

Is there any way to refrain our cat from wandering too far.. I'm
thinking theres probably little you can do to control how far your cat
wanders - but it is a worry when he is gone for the biggest part of
the day, and always relief to see him show up later on.
You could say that so long as he keeps turning up ~ don't worry, it's
the day he doesnt turn up I'm concerned about.
I'd love to follow him or track him ~ and see just where or how far he
goes!
He's aprox between 1 & 2 years old - a Maine Coon - though from other
postings I see here - we can't be certain - he does however have ALL
the characteristics.
He came to us only recently as a stray - and this is perhaps another
reason, I get concerned at his wanderings ~ having found an amazing
cat - I'd hate to lose him.
We did advertise the find all over the place - inc' all nearby and
wider are Vets, plus a lost n found pet web site - but no-one came
forward, and we never spotted any "lost" notices.
So he's here with us and all I can say is he's a constant source of
"everything", an amazing animal... and it seems ~ still quite a bit of
growing to do! just weighing in at just under 9lbs at present.
(reply in NG ~ email address this came with doesnt work)
Old December 1st 03, 11:13 PM
Mary

"Stuart" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Is there a reason you don't want to make him an indoor cat? Or,
better--will you be able to bear it when he doesn't come home one day
or you find him hurt or dead from a fight or animal attack or auto
accident? I would love to have a Maine Coon, they are so beautiful!
You are really lucky he adopted you.

Old December 1st 03, 11:21 PM
Wendy

Have you considered keeping him inside or building an enclosure for him
outside that he can't get out of?

om...

Old December 1st 03, 11:42 PM
---MIKE---

If he is only 9 pounds, he is likely not a Maine Coon. My Tiger (who I
suspect is a Maine Coon) is about 20 pounds. The answer to your
question is keep him inside. If you let him out and he wanders very far
he will fail to come home some day. Can you handle that? The other
choice is to build a cat proof enclosure for him to keep him in your
yard.

-MIKE

Old December 2nd 03, 12:10 AM
Sherry

[...]

He sounds like a ramblin' kind of cat, and that's probably how you ended up
with him. I think I'd try to discourage that, you might end up losing him to
another family, or worse. How do think he'd adjust to being a house, or being
let out only under supervision?

Sherry

Old December 2nd 03, 12:16 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Stuart" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I realize that indoor-outdoor cats are the general standard in the UK, &
that screened-in porches (& windows) aren't. But, if you're concerned about
his wanderings, would you consider turning him into an inside cat? Or is
there a way you could screen in an area adjacent to the house, so that he
could have fresh air & see the sights, yet be safe? (There are often kits
for special cat enclosures at the backs of cat magazines, in the advertising
section.)

At almost 9 pounds, he most likely isn't a Maine Coon - although he may well
partly be. And, AFAIK, Maine Coons often aren't fully grown till 2 years
old - so he may have a ways to go yet. My parents adopted a *tiny* stray
kitten when he was just a few weeks old. He grew & grew & grew - turned out
to be an 18 pound Maine Coon. This cat could stand on the kitchen floor &
reaching up, his paws could reach the (standard 36" high) countertops.
Maine Coons are very big cats - not only in weight, but in matching
frame/bone structure. And their tails are typically as long as their body
length.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon