What is that glop?

Old March 18th 04, 05:07 PM
Hopitus2

Default What is that glop?

LOL. Years ago, my sons used to say the same thing when cabbage was
simmering on the stove.

"CATherine" wrote in message
: I have been worried recently about young Robin eating the Senior food
: I have for the older cats. So I spoke to the vet and he said it
: wouldn;t hurt him. Well, he is a bit plump; but otherwise, looks
: great. But i was still worried since a cat still fills out for another
: year and I didn't want to stunt his growth. (What am I talking about!
: He is already as big as Djoser; and Heavy!)
:
: So I got him some Nutro kitten food...six assorted flavors. I put a
: spoonful in his dish and put the dish under his nose. He was crouched,
: ready to scarf it down. Suddenly, he sat straight up with a disdainful
: look on his face. "You expect me to eat that glop? Where is my portion
: of Sheba's DM dry food?" Then he walked away. (I always give him and
: Djoser a pinch of Sheba's dry food. They love it and it is a treat to
: them. On the other hand, Amber won't touch it! His treat is Whisker
: Lickings.)
:
: Amber and Djoser sniffed it and looked up at me in disbelief. "What is
: that glop?" Sheba was interested, as she is in anything related to
: food; but it is not on her diet. So I fed it to the dog. I am taking
: the other cans back to PetSmart. It is a good thing I saved the
: receipt.
:
: The whole episode reminded me of one day a few years ago when my son
: came in and asked "What is that awful smell?" I was cooking cabbage.
: Everyone in my household eats something different. :-P
:
: CATherine

Old March 18th 04, 06:23 PM
m. L. Briggs

On 18 Mar 2004 13:42:00 GMT, CATherine
wrote:

[...]

They used to call a person who did that a "short order cook".
Old March 18th 04, 10:31 PM
Yowie

"CATherine" wrote in message

snip fussy cats

The whole episode reminded me of one day a few years ago when my son
came in and asked "What is that awful smell?" I was cooking cabbage.
Everyone in my household eats something different. :-P

Last night I made pumpkin and ginger soup. From scratch. Even the stock was
home-made and had been carefully syphoned off minced (ground) beef that we
fry when we make pasta dishes. Half a grey pumpkin went in and I boiled the
daylights out of it to make it sweet and soft. It was sooooo thick the spoon
easily stood up in it and I had to spoon the stuff out, it couldn't be
poured.

I have *never* had a better pumpkin soup.

Joel took just two spoonfuls before he raced to the loo to throw up, he
thought it was that bad.

You can't please everyone....

Yowie
(in his defence, Joel now tells me that he hates all thick, stodgy soups
with mono-texture. He could have told me that *before* I started, and then
I could have saved his bowl for me. Unfortuantley, he had poured far too
much salt into his bowl for me to enjoy it at all, so Fluffy got a full bowl
of my masterpeice all to herself)

Old March 19th 04, 02:08 PM
JBHajos

On 19 Mar 2004 13:14:56 GMT, CATherine
wrote:

AACK! So I spoil my family, fixing what each one wants; including me.

There are only three in our household, each *totally* different.
One is a strict vegetarian. One is allergic to garlic, milk/cream
products, dislikes ground meats of any kind, hates cheese, gravies,
etc, etc, etc. Impossible!!! I like creamed dishes, au gratin,
meatballs and garlic with my spaghetti, and just about anything *they*
won't eat. Grocery shopping, as well as cooking, has gotten to be a
real pain....

As to the kitties, Hobo is on the DM dry and moist, as well as
high-protein canned tuna, salmon, and chicken. Speckles, with her
kidney problems, is on a *low* protein diet. Wouldn't you know they
each prefer the other's food and will manage to get into it somehow?

Jeanne
Old March 19th 04, 02:31 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:31:41 +1100, "Yowie"
yodeled:

"CATherine" wrote in message
.. .

snip fussy cats

The whole episode reminded me of one day a few years ago when my son
came in and asked "What is that awful smell?" I was cooking cabbage.
Everyone in my household eats something different. :-P

Last night I made pumpkin and ginger soup. From scratch. Even the stock was
home-made and had been carefully syphoned off minced (ground) beef that we
fry when we make pasta dishes. Half a grey pumpkin went in and I boiled the
daylights out of it to make it sweet and soft. It was sooooo thick the spoon
easily stood up in it and I had to spoon the stuff out, it couldn't be
poured.

I have *never* had a better pumpkin soup.

Joel took just two spoonfuls before he raced to the loo to throw up, he
thought it was that bad.

LOL. When my brother was about three, my mother lovingly made a pot
of navy bean soup with ham. I love those kinds of soup, but my
brother eyed it with enormous eyes-- my brother had eyes like
saucers-- and declared he could not eat it, and would not elaborate.
Well, you can't stonewall my mom like that, and she went absolutely
berserk. "Just take one spoonful," she pleaded. "WHY can't you eat
it?" she raged. Tears began spilling over my brother's eyes. "I
can't tell you," he insisted. The standoff continued until Mom
prevailed by sheer force of will, and my brother squeaked in a tiny
voice "It looks like vomit."

Case closed. :P

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)

Old March 19th 04, 11:11 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:37:55 -0500, Takayuki
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:

LOL. When my brother was about three, my mother lovingly made a pot
of navy bean soup with ham. I love those kinds of soup, but my
brother eyed it with enormous eyes-- my brother had eyes like
saucers-- and declared he could not eat it, and would not elaborate.
Well, you can't stonewall my mom like that, and she went absolutely
berserk. "Just take one spoonful," she pleaded. "WHY can't you eat
it?" she raged. Tears began spilling over my brother's eyes. "I
can't tell you," he insisted. The standoff continued until Mom
prevailed by sheer force of will, and my brother squeaked in a tiny
voice "It looks like vomit."

Case closed. :P

Funny story!

You really had to be there. PS My brother has his own baby now, an
we're eagerly waiting for their first food face-off.

Old March 19th 04, 11:37 PM
Yowie

"CATherine" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:31:41 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

"CATherine" wrote in message
.. .

snip fussy cats

[...]

Is a grey pumpkin anything like the orange Halloween punkins we have
here? I can't imagine punkin cooked as anything but in a punkin pie or
cookies or bread.

Seems the post I made from work hasn't shown up so I'll repeat it here.

The pumpkin in question was purchased from the supermarket and was, as far
as I can tell, the Jarradale variety, which has a grey/blue skin and deep
orange flesh. It looked to me alot like a Queensland Blue pumpkin, but
smaller, although that of course wouldn't help you folk who have no idea
what a Queensland Blue is either.

The main way we aussies eat pumpkins is roasted, with a roast bit of meat.
So we'd have roast lamb, beef or pork, with roast potatoes, roast pumpkin
and maybe roast onions, plus boiled peas, and the gravy of course, and
traditionally on Sunday too.

The other ways we eat pumpkin tend to be a soup vegetable, in a mixed-veggie
stew. Or as pumkin soup itself. Or sometimes mashed with mashed potato. But
themost popular ways are either as a roast veggie, or as pumpkin soup.

Apparantly we Australians call all "winter squashes" pumpkins, and this is
where the confusion might lie. A pumpkin, to me, is a hard skinned, hard
orange fleshed (at least when raw) vegetable with seeds in the middle. There
are lots of different varieties, but the main eating ones are Jarradale,
Buttenut, Queensland Blue, and Jap. A *squash* to me, is what you folk might
know as a "summer squash" and has a sot, edible skin, and a
zucchini/corgette is a classic example of one. The other ones we get are
what I know as "UFOs".

A picture of a Jarrahdale pumpkin (note the different spelling) can be found
with lots of other varieties I've never heard of at:
http://www.ebfarm.com/farmstand/farm...umpkin-id.html

A picture of what I know as "squash" (except mine are yellow) can be found
at
http://commhum.mccneb.edu/fstdatabas...pinisquash.htm

The recipe I use dto make my pumpkin soup was:

1/4f the pumpkin, deskinned, de-seeded and cubed into roughly one inch cubes
(give or take)

Put into saucepan and added stock until pumpin almost covered

Boil until pumpkin nice and soft

Add easpoon crushed ginger

Wizz with food processor until mooshy (I like mine to have a *bit* of
texture left)

Season with salt & pepper. Could add milk or sour cream, but since Joel is
lactose intolerant, I didn't.

Exceedingly healthy and low fat, and very very filling.

Yowie

Old March 20th 04, 12:50 AM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old March 20th 04, 04:31 AM
Takayuki

John F. Eldredge wrote:

When my sister was 5, she suddenly became unwilling to eat whole peas
or beans, although she would eat them if they had been pureed. This
lasted into her teens, when she gradually went back to eating peas
and beans, and finally told the rest of the family what the reason
had been. One of her classmates in kindergarten had told her that
beans (in a serving of baked beans, if I recall correctly) were bugs.
Even though she knew, even at age 5, that beans came from plants,
every time that she looked at beans or peas, the memory came back and
killed her appetite.

It's a good thing your sister didn't have my experience. I was once
eating cooked green soybeans still in their pods. They're sort of
like lima beans. Since the cooking made them slippery, and the pods
split easily, I was eating the beans by squeezing them into my mouth
one by one.

At least, until I came upon one that when squeezed, produced no bean,
but only a single drop of bitter juice. When I opened up the pod to
investigate, I found that what looked like a large beetle larva had
already eaten the bean and taken its place.