(OT) Identity Theft

Old March 7th 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default (OT) Identity Theft

"Adrian" wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:

I belong to a rewards program, but I don't spend enough outside things
that count anyway, like groceries at a particular store I often use, for
the amount of rewards I get from my credit card to be worth anything.

I'm very cautious with my credit card - a bank employee tried to persuade
me to change to one he was offering and save on interest, and I said
truthfully 'I don't pay interest'. He lost interest in me as a customer!
I use it fairly infrequently, almost always for small online purchases,
and pay it off right away. I get almost nothing in the way of rewards but
I also have no interest payments. Eventually, no doubt, the issuer will
want me to pay an annual fee, and that will be time to look for another
card.

My credit card gives money to, Cats Protection, a UK charity, every time I
use it. Like others I pay the full balance each month so it doesn't cost
me
a penny.

--
Adrian

I also like the fact that my credit card statement shows me exactly where I
have spent money during the month. They also send me a year-end summary,
with spending grouped in categories, which is helpful in doing my income tax
return.

Joy

Old March 7th 12, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message

Different strokes for different folks. I have found my debit card very
handy a few times, when I wanted cash and my bank was closed. That doesn't
happen often, because it is located in a supermarket, and normally when I go
there, even on a Sunday, the bank is open. I have also used it in
Australia. The first time I went, I went through a lot of hassle to convert
a large amount of money to Aussie dollars, which I took with me. Now, I
simply use my debit card at an ATM in Australia when I want cash there.
ATMs are about as easy to find there as they are here, so it's no problem.
However, I use my credit card most of the time in Oz, too.

Joy

I was in Figi/Australia/New Zealand last January and February. I had
converted U.S. dollars to local currency for each country before I left, but
I got only a limited amount because I did not want to have to exchange it
back to U.S. (which can be costly) if I had any left. So, I used both my
debit card and credit card a few times while I was there. As you said, ATMs
are easy to find. Of course, the cost of using them varies, but I only used
them a few times.

OT: We left Christchurch, NZ, about three weeks before a major earthquake
struck. It was heartbreaking to see pictures of the devastation in areas we
had visited just a short time before and to read about all the people who
were killed and injured.

MaryL

Old March 7th 12, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Joy" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, it would be heartbreaking. I've felt the same way about some of the
floods in Australia.

Joy

Old March 7th 12, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Cheryl wrote:

As you say, with the
debit card, the card itself is useless to a thief without the PIN.

Unfortunately, that's not true. Many, many places use my debit card as
though it were a credit card. That is, they process the payment as though
I were using a credit card. I am *not* required to input my PIN. Instead,
I sign the receipt the same way I would with a credit card. Therefore,
a thief could use my card fraudulently the same way they would with a
stolen credit card, forging my signature (it's not like stores have an
image of my signature to compare it with), and walking away with the
goods. The only difference is that the money is gone immediately.

--
Joyce

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
-- Louis D. Brandeis
Old March 7th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

I have both cards- my debit is also my cashpoint card I tend to use
cash a lot because to me it feels more "real" to hand money over and
stops me overspending I have a daily allowance (varies from day to
day) and I try not to go over it but I use my debit card if I have
unexpected expenses or the cashpoint is closed

I try not to use my credit cards (Let's just ignore the £352 I put on
it today) but they are occasionally useful if an unexpected expense
comes up or I am buying something big (like today)- you have more
protection with them than debit cards for example when I had a problem
with my camera informing the moron in the shop I could seek a refund
under section 75 of the Sale of Goods Act as I'd paid my credit and
not debit card-certainly rattled him (although I had to email the CEO
to get the matter resolved)

I also have a store card- these have bad reputations but I took it out
when I wanted a suit for an interview and that particular day if you
took out a card you got 20% off across the board so that saved me £20
but as with my credit cards come the end of the month its settled in
full- I've never paid a pennys interest- also because I am a card
holder I get points that get converted into vouchers and occasional
special promotions

I also have a Co-Op membership card I get points everytime I use it
and twice a year they pay out a share depending on how much you've
spent with them. I don't buy stuff just to get points- it's my very
local supermarket so I am always in there for stuff (I was in there
half an hour ago 'cos it's so near I don't do a big shop just what we
need for the next day or so todays trip was for cat litter, some
vegetables, biscuits, shower gel and loo roll) it works out nicely as
last Xmas my divi (as we call it) was £62

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 8th 12, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 07/03/2012 7:30 PM, Bastette wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

As you say, with the
debit card, the card itself is useless to a thief without the PIN.

Unfortunately, that's not true. Many, many places use my debit card as
though it were a credit card. That is, they process the payment as though
I were using a credit card. I am *not* required to input my PIN. Instead,
I sign the receipt the same way I would with a credit card. Therefore,
a thief could use my card fraudulently the same way they would with a
stolen credit card, forging my signature (it's not like stores have an
image of my signature to compare it with), and walking away with the
goods. The only difference is that the money is gone immediately.

That's an American practice. I'd never be able to use my debit card
without a PIN. I think the history of the two types of cards is a bit
different in the US, and somehow some American issuers of such cards set
them up so they could be used without a PIN.

Here, they're even beginning to require a PIN instead of a signature for
some credit cards.

--
Cheryl
Old March 8th 12, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Cheryl wrote:

Unfortunately, that's not true. Many, many places use my debit card as
though it were a credit card. That is, they process the payment as though
I were using a credit card. I am *not* required to input my PIN.

That's an American practice. I'd never be able to use my debit card
without a PIN. I think the history of the two types of cards is a bit
different in the US, and somehow some American issuers of such cards set
them up so they could be used without a PIN.

I really hate that, and it seems incredibly unsafe.

If I use my debit card at a point of sale and I say it's a debit card,
then I do have to input my PIN. The ability to use a debit card as a
credit card is very convenient because some places only accept the latter.
The card is flexible that way, so flexible it leaves me open to easy
theft.

Here, they're even beginning to require a PIN instead of a signature for
some credit cards.

That's the direction it should go in.

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker
Old March 8th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Cheryl wrote:

That's an American practice. I'd never be able to use my debit card
without a PIN. I think the history of the two types of cards is a bit
different in the US, and somehow some American issuers of such cards set
them up so they could be used without a PIN.

Here, they're even beginning to require a PIN instead of a signature for some credit cards.

it's normal practice now in the UK to use a PIN for both debit and credit
cards, this is likely to spread to rest of the world eventually as it
reduces fraud.

--
Adrian
Old March 8th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Lesley wrote:
[...]

I'm looking forward to the time when I can store all my cards, credit,
debit, loyalty and travel, on my phone. Maybe a prepaid card too instead of
cash.
--
Adrian
Old March 8th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok[_2_]

Adrian wrote:
Cheryl wrote:

That's an American practice. I'd never be able to use my debit card
without a PIN. I think the history of the two types of cards is a bit
different in the US, and somehow some American issuers of such cards set
them up so they could be used without a PIN.

Here, they're even beginning to require a PIN instead of a signature for some credit cards.

it's normal practice now in the UK to use a PIN for both debit and credit
cards, this is likely to spread to rest of the world eventually as it
reduces fraud.

I don't know about that. I see another trend in the States - stores
allowing credit card use without asking for a signature, if the amount
is small enough. The limit is $20 in the local supermarkets, but I've
seen a couple in NY where the limit was $50.
And of course no signature is possible and required when paying for
gas(oline) at the pump, although some stations in more disreputable
areas require entering the billing ZIP code, which functions like a PIN.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*