Please let me properly introduce myself

Old March 3rd 05, 04:13 AM
Howard Berkowitz

Apropos of "fusion" cuisines, Henry Kissinger once described
"German-Chinese" food as having the quality that half an hour after
eating it, you were hungry for power.
Old March 3rd 05, 05:48 AM
Mary

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
Apropos of "fusion" cuisines, Henry Kissinger once described
"German-Chinese" food as having the quality that half an hour after
eating it, you were hungry for power.

lol!

Old March 3rd 05, 10:14 AM
Debbie Wilson

Mary wrote:

You really do understand. I need to get over these kinds of feelings
eventually so that I can do more than just send money to the shelter.
When I have more time I want to volunteer or maybe foster, too.

Definitely. If you can bring yourself to foster, it is such a rewarding
experience.

The most excruciating thing to me was that cats are so easy and so
much fun--my mother-in-law lives all alone, and even she knows
from the studies that have been done that she would be healthier
with a pet--and yet people deprive themselves of this delight and
don't help the cats. My MIL says "they are too messy." She is just
a miserable person, I guess. My sisters love animals so I don't know
why they would not even think about it.

Sometimes it's hard to understand. Perhaps it's more about a commitment
thing than being 'messy'? Or maybe she's heard about other people's cats
that weren't cared for properly so houses did end up smelling of cat
pee, or cats who had litter box problems that weren't properly
treated.... who knows? As you say, if you get the right routine, cats
are so very easy to look after well.

I can honestly say that I have never felt more alien and alone. It was
truly strange. It actually changed the way I feel about some of the people
in my life. Here is the irrational part: I just cannot imagine how anyone
could not be utterly delighted by cats, even though I know that it is
a matter of personal taste. :-) I am a case, I am afraid!

:-)) I found it quite a shock to encounter people who not only didn't
like cats, but actively hated them and would say so, despite knowing how
much time you spent trying to help them. Then proceed to tell 'jokes'
about cats being harmed, etc.

I always had frogs, turtles, terrapins, etc as a child. Where are you, Deb?

I'm in Surrey, England - not the native habitat for any of my non-furry
pets unfortunately, but the babies are in a special indoor enclosure so
they think they are in the Mediterranean, even if I know we aren't :-)
*looks at snow outside* Actually, they were bred only a few miles from
here, but are too little yet to cope with the damp British outdoors...

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 3rd 05, 11:58 AM
Adrian

On 2005-03-01, Seanette Blaylock penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very
interesting things
to say about Please let me properly introduce myself:

I love Nutella, and so I try to keep it out of the house =P

I think I have some in inventory. Now I want some, but don't have
any suitable vehicle (such as graham crackers) for it. (sigh)

Thick German bread is, of course, the appropriate vehicle for
Nutella =P

I was not impressed by thick brown German bread when I was in
Germany. It made toast for breakfast problematic. ;-)
We had to go miles to get sliced white bread.
Before you say, I had no problem at all "eating German" for most of
the time. After ten days I was desperate for some toast for my
breakfast, and got it in the end. Mmmm.

Tweed

I'd go miles to avoid sliced white bread, I haven't eaten it for years.
I like wholemeal, preferably unsliced.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old March 3rd 05, 12:28 PM
HRFLTiger

Debbie Wilson wrote:
It is one of the hardest parts, for sure. What helps is when the

cat goes to a *wonderful* home, and also to tell yourself that if you
didn't give the cat up, then you couldn't take in any more that so
desperately need to come in.///

It was thanks to Debs fostering that Sir William and I met. She was
looking after a very pretty tabby girl kitten until she was old enough
to come into my family. I went to visit the cute tabby kitten, and
instead, walked away with a 14lb Ginger and White ex street-stray with
scuffy fur, a grumpy demeanor, and a wonderful purr-sonality. He
entered my life on 17th April 2000, and went to Rainbow Bridge on 1st
October 2000 and I still miss him every day & feel lucky that he
enriched my life. If Deb hadn't fostered, Sir William and I would never
have met and he would never have spent the last 6 months of his life
feeling loved and like he belonged somewhere.

That's what makes fostering worthwhile.

Helen M

Old March 3rd 05, 06:01 PM
Mary

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
.. .
Mary wrote:

Definitely. If you can bring yourself to foster, it is such a rewarding
experience.

One day I will if only because it is so selfish not to when I have
the room and the desire to help.

My MIL says "they are too messy." She is just
a miserable person, I guess. My sisters love animals so I don't know
why they would not even think about it.

Sometimes it's hard to understand. Perhaps it's more about a commitment
thing than being 'messy'? Or maybe she's heard about other people's cats
that weren't cared for properly so houses did end up smelling of cat
pee, or cats who had litter box problems that weren't properly
treated.... who knows? As you say, if you get the right routine, cats
are so very easy to look after well.

Yes. I really do understand that everyone is different and that we
are all entitled to our likes and dislikes. About everything but cats
and then no matter how hard I try in my heart of hearts I think there
is something WRONG with people who don't like cats! I know
it is irrational as anything but it is truly how I feel on a gut level

I always had frogs, turtles, terrapins, etc as a child. Where are you,

Deb?

I'm in Surrey, England - not the native habitat for any of my non-furry
pets unfortunately, but the babies are in a special indoor enclosure so
they think they are in the Mediterranean, even if I know we aren't :-)
*looks at snow outside* Actually, they were bred only a few miles from
here, but are too little yet to cope with the damp British outdoors...

Ihave never been to England but I sure would like to go.
I imagine the natural temperatures there are a bit cool for
amphibians and reptiles most of the year. Your pens sound
great. I had diamonback terrapins as a child and common
toads, which I kept for a few months and then released back
to where we found them. My father and I caught tadpoles
and watched them turn to frogs then released them. He made
sure I understood all about what they needed and that they
were wild animals that belonged in the wild. I think lizards
are mysterious and stately looking.

Old March 3rd 05, 06:16 PM
Mary

"HRFLTiger" wrote in message
ups.com...

Debbie Wilson wrote:
[...]

What a wonderful story, Helen. You reinforce my feeling that I need
to get over my selfish concerns and learn to let go enough to foster.
It is a matter of seeing the "big picture," I think. Do you have other
kitties now?

Old March 3rd 05, 06:48 PM
Debbie Wilson

Mary wrote:

Yes. I really do understand that everyone is different and that we
are all entitled to our likes and dislikes. About everything but cats
and then no matter how hard I try in my heart of hearts I think there
is something WRONG with people who don't like cats! I know
it is irrational as anything but it is truly how I feel on a gut level

Yes, I can understand people who have phobias, or indeed allergies, but
plain dislike of an animal they've probably never spent any length of
time with, is just irrational as you say :-(

Ihave never been to England but I sure would like to go.
I imagine the natural temperatures there are a bit cool for
amphibians and reptiles most of the year.

It's not too bad for amphibians, (3 newt species, 2 toad sp and 1 frog
sp) although they tend to semi-hibernate over the winter, they are
fairly common. We have 6 reptile species but they are much rarer and
only really seen in the warmer parts of the country. I would guess the
temps (and geographical isolation) have reduced the diversity of these
creatures compared to the USA or wamer places.

Your pens sound
great. I had diamonback terrapins as a child and common
toads, which I kept for a few months and then released back
to where we found them. My father and I caught tadpoles
and watched them turn to frogs then released them. He made
sure I understood all about what they needed and that they
were wild animals that belonged in the wild. I think lizards
are mysterious and stately looking.

Sounds like a good Dad :-)
Lizards are great, in fact I think all reptiles look so wise. Even my
baby torts, just 6 months old, look like they've got the wisdom of the
ages in their little heads :-)

BTW, here's what a slow-worm is like:
http://tinyurl.com/3r29a

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 3rd 05, 06:56 PM
HRFLTiger

Mary wrote:
What a wonderful story, Helen. You reinforce my feeling that I need

to get over my selfish concerns and learn to let go enough to foster.
It is a matter of seeing the "big picture," I think. Do you have

other
kitties now?///

Living with me, I have a very self opinionated one-eyed black cat
called "His Royal Feline Lordship Tiger" who I've had since he was 3-4
weeks old and is now 6 1/2, then there's the love of his life, Pandora,
a 4 year old tabby and white ex-feral who I got when she was 4 months
old. She arrived 3 days after Sir William went to rainbow bridge and I
"was NEVER having another cat..." had Sir William not gone, I would
never have kept her....and finally I've just adopted Cleo, a 2 year old
black and white girl cat who was taken to the vet to be PTS by her
owners because she was an "inconvienience".

Then there's Robbie, a little 9 year old ginger lad who used to have me
as a slave, but decided that my father made a better slave and so
stayed with him in the USA, and finally Thomasina, a 9 year old black
and white girly that I got as a tiny feral kitten when we saw her being
thrown onto railway tracks into the path of an oncoming train.

Yup, I have owners ;o)

Helen M

Old March 3rd 05, 07:49 PM
Christina Websell

On 2005-03-01, Seanette Blaylock penned:
[...]

Heh. I quite like wholemeal myself. German bread is a whole different
experience.

Tweed