2 very aggressive cats pleae help.

Old January 4th 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default 2 very aggressive cats pleae help.

i have two cats that are very aggressive. the first one is a little orange
cat she's just a little over a year old... one sec she is the best thing
that's i've ever found and then for no reason shes nothing but a little devil!
she'll be sitting on my lap purring and loving and then if i even as much as
look at her the wrong way she starts hissing and trying to swing at me.
everytime i pick her up she starts growling and hissing and tries to scratch
me. i don't know what to do. i've tried just about everything aside from
beating her!!! which sometimes i feel like i should.!!! j/k maybe i should
add that i fond her on the side of the road with all of her bros and sisses
and all of them were very wild. i've had her for over a year and the only
signs that i'm getting out of her is that she's getting worse! please help i
love this cat with all of my heart and don't want to get rid of her. she also
seems to have this problem with kissing noises. if she even hears them she
freaks out for no reason. i've tried the whold squirt bottle thing and that
doens't work... i've even tried the hissing back thing and all that seems to
do is make it worse. PLEASE HELP.

the other cat that i have is a new member of the family. he is over 2 years
old now and has a total attitude problem. we can't even touch this one. we
have him a really big cage and when you approach him he hissing and stricks
at us... we've never even held him. we believe that the woman that gave him
to us may have hurt him at some point but can't prove it. so long as we don't
touch him (skin to fur) or our case leather gloves to fur he attacks right
away. but throgh the screen he rubs up against it and seems like he wants to
be loved. i've looked up some cat dieases but none of them even come close to
what these cats are... they just have a major attitue problem. if anyone can
please help please feel free to give me input. you can reach me at
please i bed of anyone PLEASE HELP my cats are a
huge part of my life and it would kill me to have to get ris pf either one!!!
please someone, anyone help

angie
Old January 4th 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

There are techniques for dealing with aggressive cats, but you have to
be patient and consistent. I know that you want to have a loving pet
(don't we all?), but sometimes you have to wait for them to come to you
and want the affection. Firstly, stop trying to pick them up (unless
you have to for vet or some such thing). They just aren't ready. For a
cat that solicits affection and then bats or hisses (which sounds like
the orange one), what you want to do is be very stinting with the
affection. If she solicits a pet, give her one or two, then take a
break, wait a while, and see if she wants any more. This way you avoid
over stimulating her or giving her more than she can handle, and it
will be easier for her to control herself. If she is nice with you,
give her a treat and a hearty "good kitty". If she bats, hisses or
scratches, say "ow", look distressed, and remove yourself away from
her. In this way, you incentivize her to avoid behavior that makes you
go away. The key is to dish out affection in little manageable
teaspoons that she can handle without feeling overwhelmed and
over-excited. Play with a wand toy can also be
a good way to interact while being out of range. The key is to be
consistent so that good behavior gets her rewards and bad behavior
results in not getting rewarded. If you observe her, you may find some
characteristics that will tell you that she is stimulated, some common
ones are flattening of the ears, widening of the eyes, or swishing of
the tail, and those can help you to see when she needs a break.

For the cat in a cage, try sitting in the room he is in, away from
striking range and singing or talking to him without directly
interacting. That way he can watch you without feeling threatened. Do
this for a period of time every day for two weeks without in any way
approaching him, except to deliver food and clean his box. Then start
to quietly sit closer to the cage, still singing or humming or
chit-chatting, and see if you can be there without him striking out at
you. If so, try using a wand toy to interact with him inside his cage.
If you can get him playing with the toy without feeling threatened by
your prescence, then you are halfway home. The next step would involve
opening the door to the cage while you sit outside blocking the exit
and talking and singing some more. Then try confining him to a room
with a hiding space and go through the same ritual for a while. They
key is get him used to your prescence without having to interact with
you directly so he can stop feeling threatened by you. In time
(probably lots of it), he will start to see you as safe and it will
occur to him to approach you. When he does, be very calm (as he will
be nervous and excited), move very slowly and deliberately and let him
show you the pace at which he would like to go. It's better to leave
them wanting more affection and play than to overwhelm them and end up
with aggressive behavior.

If you do this consistently, then you should have a very different pair
of cats a year from now.

Good luck!

Old January 4th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"luvbrat8282" u17272@uwe wrote in message news:59d7dae02b937@uwe...
[...]

It's *very* important you stop hissing at her and sqirting her with
water, this will
only encourage her to be more aggressive.
You can improve her behaviour but you will have to accept that as she
was likely
a feral cat she will always need careful handling. Lots of pet cats
do not like being picked up and over petted. They prefer the affection
to be on their terms , my own cat is like this.
Some cats get over stimulated when you stroke them , you need to be
alert for the subtle signs such as they pupils changing size and the
slight swishing of the tail and stop petting.
Dont keep picking her up. If you do have to keep it short.

[...]

Why is he kept in a cage? Cats attack when they feel trapped and
have no where to hide. He would be better off in a spare room on his
own where he can approach you in his own time.
Alison

Old January 5th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Poobah wrote:
i have two cats that are very aggressive. the first one is a little
orange cat she's just a little over a year old... one sec she is the

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
thing and that doens't work... i've even tried the hissing back thing
and all that seems to do is make it worse. PLEASE HELP.

Jesus Christ, don't PUNISH the cat for being half wild! Let her be,
she'll get accustomed to you, and if you're thinking of getting rid of
her simply because she won't let you pet her whenever you feel like it
then you should get a stuffed cat. They're living, free-willed
creatures, not accessories for your sole pleasure.

poobah

i have never punished her for being mean i've just tried to get her to stop
attacking me... i very aware of te fact that they are not here for
"accessories for your sole pleasure" and that they are free-willed animals...
we have 6 other perfectly fine and loving cats that do as they please... i've
just never had a cat that has stayed aggressive for so long. I've had
aggressive cats before but after a couple weeks they are just fine i've had
my orange cat for over a year now and she's still like this. now i'm sorry of
i wrote something that offened you but i did not mean to. my cats are my
world they rule my house and do what they want really when they want to...
(with some exceptions) IE: attacking people! and as far a squrting them this
is used even by Vets! it's a way of telling them that they aren't supposed to
be doing what theyre doing with out hurting ot scaring them! they just don't
like it! and for a hissing it's a way of showing them that you aren't afaid
of them and that youre the boss! but anyway thanks for responding and i have
a good year!!!!

ANGIE

Old January 5th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" u17272@uwe wrote in message
Poobah wrote:
[...]

Why is it that the people posting from CatKB almost always sound like
they are developmentally disabled?

Anybody else notice that?

Old January 5th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Are the cats all neutered, the vaccinations and boosters up to date?

Are the cats in questions showing any other strange behavior such as
urinating outside the box?

Ok how did you introduce them to the other cats? I going to bet that you
just put them together. If you did not let them get used to one another on
their terms some of the conditions you described are going to happen due to
dominant behavior specially with 7 other cats in the house.

Why were any of the other cats aggressive when you first go them?

A cat might calm down to a human but may maintain the aggressive behavior
towards other cats. Are any of the other cats fighting?

Is their stress in the house such as moving furniture etc beside a new
addition in the cage?

What is the cat in the cage for is there no other place to keep him in an
environment that he can feel safe. Do the other cats have access to the
area where the cage is kept. This bad behavior can be standard reaction to
a stressful environment.

How much room do you have. You have eight cats one in a cage that means
they need a lot of room

The cat in the cage if you believe that the woman hurt the cat consider
this cat to act like a feral cat so treat him so.
Stop trying to touch him and if you have to use gloves stop using leather
gloves( the smell and feel is obviously a problem with the cat) go to a
local pet store and pick up a pair of cat handlers gloves about $14 best one
are the Kevlar. This cat is going to need to be in a stress free
environment and definitely out of that cage. The cat will let you know
when he is ready to be your cat.
You have a long road ahead of you with a vet and a behaviorist I can see
will be in the future of this cat if this continues.

The hissing thing well it works and it doesn't work both side of the
argument can be stated but will cause a flame war that I am not interested
in dealing with. If the person doing it backs down from the cat in the
dominance issue the cat wins. If the person try's to establish dominance
over an cat all they get is a cat scared of them. See how either side of
the debate can start a problem.

Start reading on Phil's site
http://www.maxshouse.com/behavior__training_IDX.htm

IMO I am going to say there is alot more going on then wrote about. It
almost sounds like you have more than you can handle or need some outside
help to step in and definitely help with the cats. And that is not accusing
you of anything just an observation from your post and response

Old January 6th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I’m sorry... was that directed at me or someone else?

cybercat wrote:
i have two cats that are very aggressive. the first one is a little
orange cat she's just a little over a year old... one sec she is the

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]

Old January 6th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I'm sorry... was that directed at me or someone else?

I notice you found your "shift" key. Excellent.

Old January 6th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

ok to make answering all of your questions and not missing any i've copied
and pasted your post and i'll put answers beside your questions in CAPS. I
have erased all non question to make this post a little shorter. and thank
you so much for your input! =)

Are the cats all neutered, the vaccinations and boosters up to date? YES ALL
OF THEM ARE FIXED AND UP TO DATE.

Are the cats in questions showing any other strange behavior such as
urinating outside the box? NO, NONE OF THEM ARE.

Ok how did you introduce them to the other cats? I going to bet that you
just put them together. If you did not let them get used to one another on
their terms some of the conditions you described are going to happen due to
dominant behavior specially with 7 other cats in the house. OF COURSE WE DID
NOT FORCE THEM ONTO EACH OTHER. WE LET THEM GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER ON THEIR
OWN TERMS. WE RESCUE CATS AND WE HAVE WORKED WITH ALOT OF THEM. I'VE EVEN
TAKEN A CLASS TO LEARN THE PROPER TECHNIQUES TO TAKE CARE OF THEM (THE CLASS
NEVER TOUCHED BASE OF AGGRESSION) HENCE WHY I AM HERE ASKING MY QUESTION.

Why were any of the other cats aggressive when you first go them? NO NOT ALL
OF THEM. A FEW HAVE BEEN BUT CALMED DOWN AFTER GETTING USE TO US.

A cat might calm down to a human but may maintain the aggressive behavior
towards other cats. Are any of the other cats fighting? THE ONLY CAT THAT IS
EVEN SLIGHTLY AGGRESSIVE TO ANY OTHER CAT IS MY LITTLE ORANGE ONE. WE HAVEN'T
INTRODUCED THE NEWEST ONE TO ANY OF THE CATS YET. HE'S NEVER HAD TO LIVE WITH
OTHER CATS SO WE HAVE HIM IN OUR COMPUTER ROOM BY HIMSELF (WITH NO OTHER CATS)
AND WE GO SPEND TIME WITH HIM EVERYDAY. AS A MATTER OF FACT HE IS WITH ME
RIGHT NOW.

Is their stress in the house such as moving furniture etc beside a new
addition in the cage? NOT AT THIS TIME.

What is the cat in the cage for is there no other place to keep him in an
environment that he can feel safe. Do the other cats have access to the
area where the cage is kept. This bad behavior can be standard reaction to
a stressful environment. SEE ANSWER TO QUESTION ABOVE.

How much room do you have. You have eight cats one in a cage that means
they need a lot of room. THEY HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM. 4 OF THE CATS ARE INDOOR-
OUTDOOR CATS AND COME IN AND OUT AS THEY PLEASE.

The hissing thing well it works and it doesn't work both side of the
argument can be stated but will cause a flame war that I am not interested
in dealing with. If the person doing it backs down from the cat in the
dominance issue the cat wins. If the person try's to establish dominance
over an cat all they get is a cat scared of them. See how either side of
the debate can start a problem. I ONLY TRIED THIS TECHNIQUE A FEW TIMES, SAW
THAT IT DIDN'T WORK AND HAVE NOT DONE IT SINCE. IT WAS JUST SOMETHING I READ
ON ONE OF THE MANY WEB SITES I'VE GONE ON TO REGUARDING AGGRESSIVE CATS.

IMO I am going to say there is alot more going on then wrote about. It
almost sounds like you have more than you can handle or need some outside
help to step in and definitely help with the cats. And that is not accusing
you of anything just an observation from your post and response. THERE ARE 4
OF US HERE IN MY HOUSE INCLUDING MYSELF. THERES MY MOTHER, FATHER, AND
BROTHER. WE EACH HAVE 2 CATS EACH TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL CATS GET THE SAME
AMOUNT OF LOVING AND CARE. THE ORANGE CAT IS MINE AND THE ONE THAT WAS CAGED
IS MY MOTHERS. SO I DO HAVE PLENTY OF HELP.

THANKS AGAIN,
ANGIE

Old January 6th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"luvbrat8282 via CatKB.com" u17272@uwe wrote

YES ALL
OF THEM ARE FIXED AND UP TO DATE.

lol

Found your caps lock too, I see!

rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:37 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
Indoor cat..quality of life? blair thompson Cat health & behaviour 420 September 14th 04 11:46 PM
cat trivia Frank Cat health & behaviour 40 June 16th 04 04:15 AM