nut or ailment?

Old August 25th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default nut or ailment?

Dino loves the normal face scratching, but has always very much favored
his right cheek scratched. He's extremely thick furred. I've been
brushing him lately, with a wire kind of cat brush. He loves it
scratched as much as i dare to press. I can't find anything, and he
didn't have any problem at his annual checkup. Is this just cat
weirdness, or might he be trying to scratch something that shouldn't be
there? He's been this way for as long as I can remeber, and is an
indoor only cat.

Old August 25th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Seems like if you can't feel anything there it's probably just "his spot".
With Pearl it is the very tip of her chin. She would let me rub that for
hours if I would.

oups.com...

Old August 26th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dino loves the normal face scratching, but has always very much favored
his right cheek scratched. He's extremely thick furred. I've been
brushing him lately, with a wire kind of cat brush. He loves it
scratched as much as i dare to press. I can't find anything, and he
didn't have any problem at his annual checkup. Is this just cat
weirdness, or might he be trying to scratch something that shouldn't be
there? He's been this way for as long as I can remeber, and is an
indoor only cat.

My daughter and I both have acrylic nails. The cats are wild about them and
insist that we not only scratch them but really dig.

Jo

Old August 26th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lol jo, thanks for the warning, I better watch the nails on any
potential dates!

Jo Firey wrote:
oups.com...

Old August 26th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jo Firey wrote:

My daughter and I both have acrylic nails. The cats are wild about them and
insist that we not only scratch them but really dig.

That's the ticket! I've been trying to grow my nails for years so that
Smudge would like me better. But my nails are really pathetic and they're
always breaking. I don't bite them, they just tear on things and split
apart, etc. I even give myself regular manicures to keep the edges smooth,
but it doesn't really help. At least I do have some nail, which Smudge
enjoys getting scratched with. I can't grow them too long because I work
at a computer and really can't type well when my nails are too long. But
they could definitely be longer than they usually are.

Joyce

Old August 26th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-08-25 17:01:21 -0500, " said:

Dino loves the normal face scratching, but has always very much favored
his right cheek scratched. He's extremely thick furred. I've been
brushing him lately, with a wire kind of cat brush. He loves it
scratched as much as i dare to press. I can't find anything, and he
didn't have any problem at his annual checkup. Is this just cat
weirdness, or might he be trying to scratch something that shouldn't be
there? He's been this way for as long as I can remeber, and is an
indoor only cat.

I've never met a cat who didn't LOVE having its cheek scratched. I'm
sure they must get a lot of pleasure from rubbing their cheeks against
things, since that's where they have major scent glands. Leaving their
scent on things plays an important role in the cat social world, so they
need to have some motivation to do it!

I wouldn't worry at all if I were you. Just let him rub his cheek
against the brush as much as he likes. (Licky loves this, too, and so
does Smudge.) Hey, and he might even like it on his LEFT cheek too!

Joyce

Left cheek is barely acceptable when his right one can get attention.

Well, Pearl is happy with me poking/holding her right ear for blood
testing but she HATEs her left ear to be held.