the summer so far (long, mostly on-topic)

Old July 1st 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JB

Default the summer so far (long, mostly on-topic)

I live on the edge of a small town--technically outside the city
limits, but it feels like it's in town, since I can see a main street
from my house. For years, I've had just rabbits and the occasional
cat coming through the yard, but lately, it's been one weird (or at
least notable) thing after another.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a woodchuck bounding through my yard. Well,
that's different. The next two days, it was a deer, probably a buck,
since he was stomping his foot and "snorting" on the second day.
That's even more different.

Last Monday, it's back to cats--heard one yowling near my house in the
middle of the night (Sun night/Mon morning). Sounded like a female in
heat. That day, I saw http://web.mr-happy.com/pets/yardkitty06-1.php
at the front of my house making the same noises, but... nope, not a
female at all. Very friendly, very skinny, very male. He still comes
around regularly, and I feed him well. I'd love to take him in, but
he'd make 5, and I've done that before--just too many. And it's
getting to where I really don't want to stress out the old man of the
house. I'll definitely get him vetted/snipped, though. And I won't
leave him out for the winter if it comes to that. (No-kill shelter
never has room, but I have some leads, so I expect it'll be ok.)

Monday night/Tuesday morning, I woke up from a sound sleep by what
sounded like Stampy the Deer doing his snorting again. Never would
have expected a deer to wake me up. Especially since I can apparently
sleep through my pager going off less than 6 feet from my head.

After I fell back asleep and then got up for the day, I noticed a
brownish tom meatloafing on my back steps, facing the house. to run
away from me, though. I thought briefly that he was a tortie, but not
with jowls like that. Not sure what to make of his colouring. I've
seen occasional, brief glances of him since then, but he's not much on
people.

Got home Tuesday afternoon, and there's the B&W boy out front... or is
it? Nope, this one's got an all-black back and has no black "smudge"
on its face. And it's scared of me and the cats.

This (Monday) morning's early wake-up was provided by mind-bending
skunk odour. Right underneath the deck outside my bedroom window from
what I can tell. It was so bad that I couldn't get back to sleep.
Even my basement smells bad, since the sauna in the basement has a fan
that exhausts right under the deck. I can't imagine it's nearly as
bad as having a skunked pet in the house, but it's plenty for me. The
smell is still there, though the skunk doesn't seem to be, so I guess
it must have let loose.

Got home from work this afternoon, got on the phone and started pacing
around the living room as I tend to do. And what the heck is that in
a tree across the street? Tuesday's tux, as it happens. Well, ok.
Went to check it out, didn't seem like there was necessarily a
problem. Left to hang out with friends a couple hours later, still
there. Got home 6 hours after I first saw the cat up there, and not
only was it *still* there, but it seemed to be in the exact same
position, draped over a branch in such a way that it looked like it
could be actually stuck, and it was frequently shifting its back end
around while not moving the front end much. So I was getting somewhat
concerned. It was dark out, but my neighbours were on their deck, and
one came up and sized up the situation with me. He helped me fetch my
tall ladder (this cat was about 15-20' up), but when we got back to
the tree, the cat was suddenly several feet higher up, either not
stuck or just scared out of stuck by the noisy aluminum ladder. Well,
that's a relief (though a bit of a BCT by a cat that's not even mine).
Hopefully it'll come down on its own, and if not, well, maybe I'll see
what I can do when it's not dark out.

When I went to investigate the treed cat before I left for the
evening, my B&W buddy followed me down the street, meowing at me the
whole way as if to ask where the hell I was going. when we got near
the tree, he gave up and started back toward the house but then
abruptly decided that the middle of the (mostly quiet) street was as
good a place as any to play cello. I had to laugh, but not for long,
as a car turned onto the street toward us. Fortunately, he was very
good about being picked up, didn't squirm a bit as I rushed him to
safety.

Interesting times, at least for me...

Jeff
Old July 1st 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"JB" wrote in message
[...]

You seem to be a critter magnet!

Joy

Old July 1st 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

JB wrote:

Interesting times, at least for me...

Wow, a lot of animal life going on there.

Old July 1st 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Jul 1, 1:30�am, "Joy" wrote:
"JB" wrote in message

[...]

Joy- Hide quoted text -

Another Cat Whisperer? Mark being the first here.
Suz&Spicey
Old July 1st 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Jul 1, 7:36�am, Marina wrote:
JB wrote:

Interesting times, at least for me...

Wow, a lot of animal life going on there.

Actually not that uncommon is suburban US. In small towns surrounding
big cities houses are close or part of animal habitat. I live in what
is called a bedroom community. The people whos live here work other
places. In the Eastern third of the US there are a lot of deer,
skunks, racoons and the ocasional cayote (sp?).
Suz&Spicey
Old July 1st 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_2_]

You live in interesting times and places, Jeff. And apparently the
neighborhood cats have you trained. :-)

--
^..^

Kathy P.
Woodgie's Gramma

Old July 4th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

JB wrote:
[...]

snip

You are taking such good care of the kitties.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek