(OT) Angel Food Ministries

Old August 31st 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Angel Food Ministries

wrote in message
jmcquown" wrote:

a program available across the US called Angel Food Ministries. You can
order boxes of food for half what it would cost at the grocery store.

Yes, my mother was getting that until she recently moved. They not
only have their main food box, which contains an assortment of packaged
foods plus some meat, but they also offer meat-only and veggie-only
boxes. The latter two were much better for my mother, as she is a Type
I diabetic and really can't eat a lot of the food they put in the main
box (high glycemic stuff like french fries, rice, etc).

The main box was $30/ month and the meat and veggie boxes were $25 each.
She still had to supplement what she got in the box, but it was a lot
of savings.

Joyce

Yep, there are lots of different "boxes" available. Fruit and veggie boxs,
even gluten free boxes for people with food allergies. I think it's an
excellent program for people with limited finances.

Jill

Old August 31st 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

This is most everyone these. Companies cutting jobs, hours and such. Still
leaves most with big mortgages and food and gas bills to pay.

Old August 31st 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 30, 6:32*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

"Stormmee" wrote in message
this is a sore point with me, our local walmarts no longer put the food
on half offer from the deli, they no longer give it to charity, they
throw it out at the end of the day, we were agast that they made a cooker
of broasted chicken at eight thirty, two hundred *peices mind, and at
nine they threw out one fifty, they made it because someone had ordered a
party pak and jus threw out perfectly good food, when they could have put
it on offer or given it to someone, Lee

This is a difficult issue, and it is more complex than it may seem at
first glance. *That food really *should* be going to someone who can use
it, and we have some local charities that often receive food that
otherwise would go to waste. *However, some businesses have found that
people will deliberately place orders just so there will be "excess" at
the end of the day. *In similar way (related to our cats), some companies
used to put damaged bags of pet food and bird seed on deep discount. *I
think WalMart was one of them. *Then they discovered that some people were
deliberately breaking some of the bags and would then take them to the
counter with a request for a discount! *But I agree, it's a sad
situation--an outrage, really--to see good food deliberately ruined to
prevent anyone from making use of it.

MaryL

I don't know about WalMart (I despise the place). *I do know when I worked
in restaurants (granted this was a long time ago) the health department
wouldn't let them donate "leftovers" at the end of the night. *I'd watch
them throw away tons of rolls, biscuits, garlic bread and huge (!) trays of
baked potatoes. *Surely a soup kitchen could have used the food. *But the
health department laws prevented them from donating it. *Baked potato soup
is wonderful G *They could have fed a lot of people with what I saw them
throwing in the trash every night.

Jill- Hide quoted text -

I hate to see that too; I just hate any kind of waste. Years ago a
friend worked
at P**less shoe store, and the employees were instructed to not only
discard
the shoes that didn't ever sell, but they had to slash them with box
knives before
placing them in a dumpster. The bookstore in the same mall had to rip
off
the front & back covers of the books, then throw them in the dumpster.
I've never known the reason for this, and why they didn't donate the
shoes, and
at the very least recycle the books.

Sherry
Old August 31st 09, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default For all you talking about angel food

this is their menu for this coming month. Their main box for $30 can feed a
family of 4 for a week

a .PDF link to their menu I just preordered for thanks giving and I love
their allergen free box best chicken wings and nuggets I have had even my
own

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menus/0909_Menu.pdf

the only thing is the senior box is over priced for what you get you can go
to Wal-Mart and get hungry man meals for example cheaper I have tried all
their different types of senior meals they don't impress me for $2.80
a meal for what you get is over priced and very under seasoned lacking
quality taste. If you really wanted to you can easily feed your self a day
for that price I know I can and still make it taste good

The meat boxes are very good this isn't no crap items either the fruit box
is well worth it it in itself heck apples for 3 lbs are going for over
$4 here you get two bags

Old August 31st 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

Usually slicing the shoes and taking the covers off the books is in
lieu of actually packing them up and returning them to the supplier.
You get credit for product unsold, but why pay to ship it back? The
just require that there is some proof the items were in fact unsold.
I would guess the uncovered books were ending in the recycling bin.

Food gets tricky. There are all kinds of reasons that food service
managers to not want excess food cooked to be available at the end
of shift. All the sudden every one is taking home the 'planned
over's for their own dinners, or getting together with employees to
trade out 'overcool' from all their end shifts.

And if you actually allow dumpster diving you have a huge liability
if any one is hurt or sickened. That why they deliberately spoil
the food.

Their night managers are busy securing the establishments, and
really do not want the homeless hanging about for their own safety
and the safety of their employees.

Things like donuts and bread are easier to deal with as they go back
to the distributor and then are available for pickup by authorized
agents.

Jo

Old August 31st 09, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 30, 11:09*pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
[...]

This menu sounds good. We participated in Angel Food Ministries a few
years
ago, and it was great stuff. They had chicken strips and unbreaded
boneless
chicken filets that were just incredibly versatile and good.
Practically everyone
in town was buying into it.
Then the menus started changing, and there was more pre-packaged,
processed
convenience-type food. It was really awful and terribly salty. Like
family-packs of
TV dinner type Salisbury steak. These awful frozen burritos. Pre-fried
frozen
French Fries with ridiculous amounts of saturated fats. Nasty frozen
pizzas.
The food just wasn't
healthy anymore. People started dropping out of the program and the
local
church finally closed it.
But this menu looks like the program is back on track as far as
offering good food.
I'd get back into it if it were still here.

Sherry
Old August 31st 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Phillips

On Aug 28, 5:47*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
is a program available across the US called Angel Food Ministries. *You can
order boxes of food for half what it would cost at the grocery store. *The
food is donated by food distributors, the same people who would supply
restaurants. *The food is then distributed by local churches. *But you don't
have to be a member of a church to participate. *It's not free, but $30 for
enough food to feed a family of 4, that's saying something!

Info he

www.angelfoodministries.com

And the menu? *It changes monthly but oh boy! *Steaks, chicken, pork chops.
They have

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu_0909en.asp

I reserved mine a few minutes ago. *You DO have to pick it up at the "host
site" on a specific day at the specified time. *(If you don't they'll donate
it to a needy family, which works just as well.) *It's a great idea, so
spread the word, folks.

Jill

September coupons are a GO!!! For September the coupons code,
"10FallSP1" is 10% off Special #1 Meat box. "SeptSig5" is 5% off
"Signature box" of Angel Food. The coupons are online only and can
only be used for the first 2000 orders!
Old August 31st 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 30, 8:51*pm, Sherry wrote:
The bookstore in the same mall had to rip
off
the front & back covers of the books, then throw them in the dumpster.
I've never known the reason for this,

There is a reason- some publishers when a book needs to be returned
for credit say old edition, excess stock, book going out of print
accept the front and back covers from bookshops as proof the bookshop
brought it in the first place. Most bookshops especially small ones
are happy to comply- they want to get a credit note for returned stock
and just sending front and back covers saves a lot on postage. When I
worked in the book trade it was a fairly common occurance to have to
"strip" books

Some publishers now refuse to do this on environmental grounds- they
want the whole book back so they can decide whether to sell them on to
a remainder dealer or recycle them (White Wolf does it for example)
such books are termed "unstrippable"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 31st 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 20:51:44 -0700 (PDT), Sherry
wrote:

The bookstore in the same mall had to rip off the front & back covers
of the books, then throw them in the dumpster. I've never known the
reason for this ...

The covers go back to the publisher for credit on the unsold copies.
The pages are pulped.

Bud

Save a little Angel :-) HeartofGold Cat community 0 November 6th 07 12:41 AM
Angel is Really Sick [email protected] Cat anecdotes 41 August 28th 05 11:05 PM
Angel Update [email protected] Cat anecdotes 8 August 21st 05 05:52 PM
OT - New Angel Cheryl Cat anecdotes 61 December 6th 04 03:56 AM
Mubu and Angel: RB John Kimmel Cat anecdotes 32 June 29th 04 08:20 PM