(OT) Credit Cards

Old April 4th 10, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default (OT) Credit Cards

Marina wrote:

Christine BA wrote:
Checks aren't used... or are practically not used at all in Finland
anymore, with the exception of some competition winnings or some such
special occasion, not on a daily and personal basis. People mostly use
debit cards and credit cards, or cash, of course. I seldom have any cash
in my wallet.

I never have cash, either. I use my debit card, or pay online. I've
never used checks. I think I last saw a check sometime in the early '80s.

There are some things I still use checks for, such as my rent payment,
or occasional bills like a parking ticket, etc. Mostly I pay bills online.
Much easier!

Joyce

--
It is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same.
-- Unknown
Old April 4th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message end up

I personally won't use a debit card. I do have and use an ATM card. The
difference is I have to enter a pass code in order to use the ATM card. I
only use it at the grocery store and sometimes to get cash as the bank.

Here, my ATM card and debit card is the same one. I use it all the time, to
buy groceries, petrol for my car, chicken food from the farm etc. I have to
put my pass code into the little machine they have every time I make a
transaction so I am confident that it is safe.

I don't care for the way debit cards are linked directly to your checking
account. If there is a mistake it can leave you in a very vulnerable
position until it is sorted out.

That's what I like about my debit card - I can never spend more than I have.
There has never been a mistake in all the years I've used one.

I also check the balances on my credit cards and checking account
frequently online rather than wait for the statement to arrive. I pay
everything either with a credit card or online and sometimes go months
without writing a check.

I have never wanted, nor will ever have a credit card. I might be tempted
to go into debt if I saw something like a fantastic new chicken hut ;-)
My beloved grandfather gave me good advice. Firstly do not buy something
you cannot afford to pay for (not houses, obviously, he did acknowledge you
might have to borrow money for those..) and secondly always buy the best you
can afford as cheap things never last. This advice has stood me in good
stead all my life.
Tweed

Old April 4th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 4, 8:43*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
and secondly always buy the best you
can afford as cheap things never last. *

Or as my dad always said "You get what you pay for". I paid serious
money for my hi-fi and all my friends laughed and pointed out I could
have got one a lot cheaper- their's have been replaced or died-
mine's 23-24 years old and still going strong- the switch on the amp
needs some silicon lubricant when I remember to get some as it's
sticking but that's all

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old April 4th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

wrote:

Here, my ATM card and debit card is the same one. *I use it all the time, to
buy groceries, petrol for my car, chicken food from the farm etc. *I have to
put my pass code into the little machine they have every time I make a
transaction so I am confident that it is safe.

They're not safe- a couple of years ago my debit card was cloned and
sent to America where apparently ATM security is easier to break
(That's what the bank told me) thankfully as I've never (yet) been to
the US- the system threw it out and the bank contacted me to make sure
I wasn't in America (you might want to know if you're leaving the
country it's a good idea to alert your bank if I really had been in
America I'd have been stuck)

That's what I like about my debit card - I can never spend more than I have.
There has never been a mistake in all the years I've used one.

As I say my card's been cloned-I've also had a card snatched from a
cashpoint by some sort of machine inside the ATM
A friend of mine had his card cloned (probably at a petrol station
they're bad places for that sort of thing according again to my bank)
and over 2K taken out- he got it back but it left him needing to use
an overdraft for a few weeks

I have never wanted, nor will ever have a credit card.

I have 2- it's a belt and braces approach when my debit card had to be
stopped as it had been cloned then I could use the cards to get by
on. Also they're useful to have if you spot a bargain and don't have
cash to hand (I got some of one of my favourite perfumes yesterday at
a 3rd off - after last week I needed a treat!) the trick is to know
how much you've used, to not use the fact it's plastic so it doesn't
feel like you're really spending money to mean you buy stuff you don't
need and NEVER to get to the point where you can;t settle in full
unless we're talking a REAL emergency and even then give them the
maximum you can afford each month- paying the minimum means taking
years to pay it off and any so-called bargains are no longer bargains

Old April 4th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
I was on the phone arguing with Chase Bank this morning. That's the
credit card I was using to pay all of Persia's vet bills. I have never
used it for anything else. I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying
they'd lowered my credit limit based on my "usage". Um, excuse me, it's
based on the fact that I'm *not* a slacker who racks up interest and
late fees by making minimum payments. I pay the bill in full every month.

Banks and credit card companies these days don't reward good solid
customers. They welcome deadbeats who can't pay their bills. They
welcome people who think nothing of going 30, 60, 90 days past the due
date. Because these cards are raking in money in late fees and
exhorbitant interest.

Sorry, I'm not one of those people. I paid the bill in full, cut up the
card and closed the account. Screw you people. Your bank will never
darken my door again. Usurers!

Jill

Good for you, Jill.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old April 4th 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

I haven't written a cheque in the last 10 years, I use a credit or debit
card, cash or internet banking.

Stormmee wrote:
i read that article about uk recently... said already eighty percent don't
use checks/cash anymore...

Old April 4th 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
I have never wanted, nor will ever have a credit card. I might be tempted
to go into debt if I saw something like a fantastic new chicken hut ;-)
My beloved grandfather gave me good advice. Firstly do not buy something
you cannot afford to pay for (not houses, obviously, he did acknowledge you
might have to borrow money for those..) and secondly always buy the best you
can afford as cheap things never last. This advice has stood me in good
stead all my life.
Tweed

I only use a credit card for major purchases (over £100) because the
Consumer Credit Act 1975 makes the credit card company jointly liable
with the supplier if anything goes wrong. In fact I used one yesterday
to buy my sister a small television for her birthday, I will pay the
full amount when the bill is due.

Old April 5th 10, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 4, 9:20*pm, Marina wrote:

I have my bank pay the local animal shelter automatically out of my
account into theirs every month on my payday.

My Cat Cabin sponsorship to CPL goes to them that way but my local
shelter isn't too organised and deals in cash and cheques. I've
offered to help out on the admin side several times but no-one ever
gets back to me and at the moment they're in complete chaos after a
fire at their secretary's house destroyed their records.

Old April 7th 10, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Stormmee" wrote in message
we use a debit card from visa that works the same for the merchant as a
credit card. Lee

I do have a debit card I use for regular household bills, everyday expenses
and incidentals. I don't keep a lot of money in that account. It doesn't
earn interest (if it did the money goes out too fast every month for it to
accrue and the potential interest rate sucks anyway.)

Persia's vet bills were unexpected. Yes, she had a "savings account". But
after her tooth was pulled and she got very ill, then she was allergic to
the thyroid medication and having to stay at the vet several times, well, it
burned that up. It was time to use HER credit card, which had never been
used before. Then the bank reviewed my usage and cut the credit limit in
half. All because I was a good customer, paying the bill in full every
month. Usurers! They'd rather I be a deadbeat running up a ton of debt so
they can charge exhorbitant interest and late fees because I can't pay my
bill. So sorry, but I *can* pay my bill. Chase Bank can kiss my a**.

Jill

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Stormmee" wrote in message
best thing we ever did was get ri of all credit cards. Lee

Unfortunately, not all places take checks. And I'm not inclined to walk
around with a lot of cash in my wallet.

Jill