(OT) Anyone like this house?

Old June 11th 12, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Anyone like this house?

It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing about
possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Click on the photo of the house in the link to see more photos or to view
the slideshow.

Of course I'd have to sell my house first. (I'm working on that.) I'm just
poking around to see what's available and this came up. What charm! I love
the stained glass windows and the wonderful front porch. The master bedroom
is downstairs with a full bath with a clawfoot tub. Oooh!

I'd have a problem with the "stove" in the kitchen. It looks like a wood
burning stove. I'm entranced by history and old homes but I'm not willing
to compromise that much

Jill

Old June 11th 12, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing about
possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Click on the photo of the house in the link to see more photos or to view
the slideshow.

Of course I'd have to sell my house first. (I'm working on that.) I'm
just poking around to see what's available and this came up. What charm!
I love the stained glass windows and the wonderful front porch. The
master bedroom is downstairs with a full bath with a clawfoot tub. Oooh!

I'd have a problem with the "stove" in the kitchen. It looks like a wood
burning stove. I'm entranced by history and old homes but I'm not willing
to compromise that much

Jill

It's cute, but I'd definitely want to see it first. It looks as though it
could be a bit claustrophobic, but maybe that wouldn't bother you. Also,
with that bathtub, you wouldn't have a real shower. That might or might not
be a drawback for you. I used to prefer baths over showers, until it got
too hard to climb out of the tub. Now I'd love to have a long soak
occasionally, but I'd need help to get out, so I settle for my shower.

As for the stove, you could no doubt replace it.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2012-06-10, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing about
possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Click on the photo of the house in the link to see more photos or to view
the slideshow.

Of course I'd have to sell my house first. (I'm working on that.) I'm just
poking around to see what's available and this came up. What charm! I love
the stained glass windows and the wonderful front porch. The master bedroom
is downstairs with a full bath with a clawfoot tub. Oooh!

I'd have a problem with the "stove" in the kitchen. It looks like a wood
burning stove. I'm entranced by history and old homes but I'm not willing
to compromise that much

Jill

The cast iron stove in the picture is electric. That is an expensive stove,
made in Rogers, Arkansas, by House of Webster.

Cute house. If you buy it the whole world will know where you live.

Bud

Old June 11th 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't see it as being claustrophobic, no. The rooms look pretty spacious
to me. The master bedroom & bath are on the main floor, which is important
to me. I do realize I'm not going to be able to climb stairs when/if I'm
80.

with that bathtub, you wouldn't have a real shower. That might or might
not be a drawback for you. I used to prefer baths over showers, until it
got too hard to climb out of the tub. Now I'd love to have a long soak
occasionally, but I'd need help to get out, so I settle for my shower.

I already have a handle on my bathtub to help me get in and out. I also
have a shower nozzle so that "telephone" style in the pretty claw-foot tub
wouldn't be much of a problem.

As for the stove, you could no doubt replace it.

Joy

LOL! I heard back from the realtor... that stove is electric! It's a
reproduction of a 1900 era cast iron stove. Okay, that's cool. I also
don't mind the stenciling on some of the walls. That was very common in
that era and is very decorative.

But again, this is a pipe dream. I *am* going to move. I don't know where.

Jill
Jill

Old June 11th 12, 06:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 06/10/2012 05:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Click on the photo of the house in the link to see more photos or to
view the slideshow.

Of course I'd have to sell my house first. (I'm working on that.) I'm
just poking around to see what's available and this came up. What charm!
I love the stained glass windows and the wonderful front porch. The
master bedroom is downstairs with a full bath with a clawfoot tub. Oooh!

I'd have a problem with the "stove" in the kitchen. It looks like a wood
burning stove. I'm entranced by history and old homes but I'm not
willing to compromise that much

Jill

IMHO it looks expensive to maintain. It also is a lot of house to clean
which gets harder to do when you get older. What is the condition of
the roof, the plumbing and electric wiring?. What is the size of the
lot? What is the neighborhood like? Also, check the property taxes..
As I said: looks expensive to maintain. MLB
Old June 11th 12, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 6/10/2012 4:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.

I'm not much for "old stuff", but that strikes me as a really unusual
and attractive residence.

Indeed, the only thing I dislike in all the photos is the painted wood
(door frames and the like), which seems a horrible way to disguise the
beauty of wood.

Art

Old June 11th 12, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Art Shapiro" wrote in message
On 6/10/2012 4:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.

I'm not much for "old stuff", but that strikes me as a really unusual and
attractive residence.

Indeed, the only thing I dislike in all the photos is the painted wood
(door frames and the like), which seems a horrible way to disguise the
beauty of wood.

Art

I know what you mean, Art, although I didn't even notice, since most of the
wood in my house is painted too. It was that way when we moved in. I did
replace the doors to one closet, and that wood is unpainted. As a
carpenter's daughter, I love the look of real wood.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 07:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing about
possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Wow, that's gorgeous! I love almost everything about it. The floors,
windows, quirky layouts, the yard and patio, and the exterior of the
house - it's a storybook house! The only thing I really didn't like
was that wallpaper in the kitchen. Otherwise, what a great place.

You might not want to tell me what town he lives in, but I'm curious
which part of the country it is - which state?

--
Joyce

"The most terrible things can enter one's life. Hopefully they're only
mundane."
-- The Midwest Book Review

Old June 11th 12, 10:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 11/06/2012 9:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Click on the photo of the house in the link to see more photos or to
view the slideshow.

Of course I'd have to sell my house first. (I'm working on that.) I'm
just poking around to see what's available and this came up. What charm!
I love the stained glass windows and the wonderful front porch. The
master bedroom is downstairs with a full bath with a clawfoot tub. Oooh!

I'd have a problem with the "stove" in the kitchen. It looks like a wood
burning stove. I'm entranced by history and old homes but I'm not
willing to compromise that much

To my eyes, its very cutesy Americana. It looks almost cartoonish. But
remember, this is a cultural thing. Our federation houses would probably
look quite odd to you as well. Its not my cup of tea, but my opinion is
worth diddly squat in this case. If you like it, feel you can live in
it, and can afford it, I'd be delighted to hear that you are happy in it.

Yowie
Old June 11th 12, 10:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"MLB" wrote in message
[...]

Obviously there'd have to be an inspection to check out the plumbing and
electrical. It is a 100 year old house, after all As for the size, I'd
be downgranding by a few hundred square feet. Seems to me hardwood and
vinyl flooring would be easier to keep clean than the nasty white carpet I
have to deal with now. LOL As for the lot is size... it's actually three
lots (lots of property). I already have to pay someone to mow my lawn so
I'd do the same there. John says the neighborhood is a good one, quite
nice. The property taxes are shown on the listing and are about par with
what I pay where I live now. I also wouldn't have to carry wind/hail and
flood insurance riders on my homeowners insurance policy... that alone saves
me over $2000 a year. Not to mention I wouldn't have to pay any pesky HOA
fees.

Jill

strange cat in house ,not my house Ann Cat anecdotes 2 May 31st 08 08:14 PM
A cat in the house ... Yoj Cat anecdotes 0 February 3rd 06 08:34 PM
There is a d*g in our house!!! Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 10 November 14th 04 01:01 AM
The Cat House Pat Cat anecdotes 18 August 30th 04 02:49 AM
New cat house Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 21 October 8th 03 05:00 PM