(OT) Anyone like this house?

Old June 11th 12, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default (OT) Anyone like this house?

It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing about
possibly buying the place.
http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Looks wonderful but is there any public transport to the nearest town?

I'd rather live in a freight container with a bus service than a palace
where I'd be stuck forever.

Old June 11th 12, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about
possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Wow, that's gorgeous! I love almost everything about it. The floors,
windows, quirky layouts, the yard and patio, and the exterior of the
house - it's a storybook house! The only thing I really didn't like
was that wallpaper in the kitchen. Otherwise, what a great place.

You might not want to tell me what town he lives in, but I'm curious
which part of the country it is - which state?

--
Joyce

It's cute, isn't it? I like the quirky layout, too. People in the
Victorian era were known for weird shaped rooms. They liked turrets and
things like that The house is in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in the
foothills of the Ozarks.

I'm not wild about the wallpaper in the kitchen, either. But then again, I
can't stand the wallpaper in my existing kitchen! Purple and blue morning
glories intertwined with a green lattice pattern on a white background...
it's quite "busy". I've learned to ignore it Another friend didn't like
the stenciling in one of the rooms. Stenciling was apparently quite popular
100 years ago. I think it adds to the charm.

Jill

Old June 11th 12, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about
possibly buying the place.
http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Looks wonderful but is there any public transport to the nearest town?

From that house I could walk to town. Not that there is anything much in
town. Tourist shops, mostly. I'd still have to drive to the grocery
store... sorry!

Public transportation may work well in the UK and even in large US cities.
But it doesn't work all over the US. This is a very big country. Right now
I have to drive 20 miles to get to a grocery store. I can't stand outside
my house and catch a bus or a tram. It doesn't work that way.

OB Cats: Wherever I move, Persia is going to have to make another long car
trip. She's not going to be happy about that.

Jill

Old June 11th 12, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Art Shapiro" wrote in message
On 6/10/2012 4:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.

I'm not much for "old stuff", but that strikes me as a really unusual and
attractive residence.

Indeed, the only thing I dislike in all the photos is the painted wood
(door frames and the like), which seems a horrible way to disguise the
beauty of wood.

Art

I have to agree about the painted door and window frames inside. But that's
something I could strip and refinish. Okay, so I'd pay someone else to do
it The realtor told me underneath the vinyl flooring upstairs are the
the original pine floors. They might need refinishing, too.

Jill

Old June 11th 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.
http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Looks wonderful but is there any public transport to the nearest town?

From that house I could walk to town. Not that there is anything much in
town. Tourist shops, mostly. I'd still have to drive to the grocery
store... sorry!

I had Springfield in mind - that's about 40 miles away.

Sooner or later *everybody* gets too disabled to drive. What happens
to you then?

Old June 11th 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote in message
On 06/10/2012 05:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Click on the photo of the house in the link to see more photos or to
view the slideshow.

Of course I'd have to sell my house first. (I'm working on that.) I'm
just poking around to see what's available and this came up. What charm!
I love the stained glass windows and the wonderful front porch. The
master bedroom is downstairs with a full bath with a clawfoot tub. Oooh!

I'd have a problem with the "stove" in the kitchen. It looks like a wood
burning stove. I'm entranced by history and old homes but I'm not
willing to compromise that much

Jill

IMHO it looks expensive to maintain. It also is a lot of house to clean
which gets harder to do when you get older. What is the condition of the
roof, the plumbing and electric wiring?. What is the size of the lot?
What is the neighborhood like? Also, check the property taxes.. As I
said: looks expensive to maintain. MLB

Obviously there'd have to be an inspection to check out the plumbing and
electrical. It is a 100 year old house, after all As for the size,
I'd be downgranding by a few hundred square feet. Seems to me hardwood
and vinyl flooring would be easier to keep clean than the nasty white
carpet I have to deal with now. LOL As for the lot is size... it's
actually three lots (lots of property). I already have to pay someone to
mow my lawn so I'd do the same there. John says the neighborhood is a
good one, quite nice. The property taxes are shown on the listing and are
about par with what I pay where I live now. I also wouldn't have to carry
wind/hail and flood insurance riders on my homeowners insurance policy...
that alone saves me over $2000 a year. Not to mention I wouldn't have to
pay any pesky HOA fees.

Jill

That sounds like a lot of pluses, with the biggest one being rid of the HOA.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Art Shapiro" wrote in message
On 6/10/2012 4:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.

I'm not much for "old stuff", but that strikes me as a really unusual and
attractive residence.

Indeed, the only thing I dislike in all the photos is the painted wood
(door frames and the like), which seems a horrible way to disguise the
beauty of wood.

Art

I have to agree about the painted door and window frames inside. But
that's something I could strip and refinish. Okay, so I'd pay someone
else to do it The realtor told me underneath the vinyl flooring
upstairs are the the original pine floors. They might need refinishing,
too.

Jill

They probably would, but they'd be lovely once they were finished.

Joy

Old June 11th 12, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:41:19 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing about
possibly buying the place.

http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA

Click on the photo of the house in the link to see more photos or to view
the slideshow.

Of course I'd have to sell my house first. (I'm working on that.) I'm just
poking around to see what's available and this came up. What charm! I love
the stained glass windows and the wonderful front porch. The master bedroom
is downstairs with a full bath with a clawfoot tub. Oooh!

I'd have a problem with the "stove" in the kitchen. It looks like a wood
burning stove. I'm entranced by history and old homes but I'm not willing
to compromise that much

Jill

That upstairs bathroom is HIDEOUS... and the kitchen backsplash is way
too much of a good thing. But they're both easily fixed with some more
tasteful fresh tile. I adore houses with a history and it's gorgeous
from the outside, and it looks like it's freshly renovated - if it was
done properly you'll avoid all the 'old house maintenance' perils.
Overall, it's the kind of house I'd love to have...
Old June 11th 12, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.
http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA
Looks wonderful but is there any public transport to the nearest town?

From that house I could walk to town. Not that there is anything much in
town. Tourist shops, mostly. I'd still have to drive to the grocery
store... sorry!

I had Springfield in mind - that's about 40 miles away.

Springfield... Missouri?

Sooner or later *everybody* gets too disabled to drive. What happens
to you then?

I'd have to worry about that eventually even if I stay right where I am. I
don't have an answer to that question.

Jill

Old June 11th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

It's cute, isn't it? I like the quirky layout, too. People in the
Victorian era were known for weird shaped rooms. They liked turrets and
things like that The house is in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in the
foothills of the Ozarks.

I'm not wild about the wallpaper in the kitchen, either. But then again, I
can't stand the wallpaper in my existing kitchen! Purple and blue morning
glories intertwined with a green lattice pattern on a white background...

I'd rather look at that than at the one in the potential new house, even
if they're both too busy.

Well, I hope you can sell your place in time to consider this one seriously.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander

strange cat in house ,not my house Ann Cat anecdotes 2 May 31st 08 08:14 PM
A cat in the house ... Yoj Cat anecdotes 0 February 3rd 06 07:34 PM
There is a d*g in our house!!! Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 10 November 14th 04 12:01 AM
The Cat House Pat Cat anecdotes 18 August 30th 04 02:49 AM
New cat house Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 21 October 8th 03 05:00 PM