A battle of wills with Tasha

Old December 17th 13, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson[_2_]

Default A battle of wills with Tasha

Last night, Tasha and I engaged in a battle of wills. She wanted to eat
her freshly caught mouse in the comfort of a warm house, I want to take
it away from her. She tried to sneak it in four times in 30 minutes,
without succeeding and promptly went back outside. On the fifth occasion
I won, sadly the mouse wasn't so fortunate. If you want to see a picture
of Tasha...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96111650@N07/11423836165/

--
Nik Simpson
Old December 17th 13, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
Last night, Tasha and I engaged in a battle of wills. She wanted to eat
her freshly caught mouse in the comfort of a warm house, I want to take it
away from her. She tried to sneak it in four times in 30 minutes, without
succeeding and promptly went back outside. On the fifth occasion I won,
sadly the mouse wasn't so fortunate. If you want to see a picture of
Tasha...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96111650@N07/11423836165/

--

I allow Boyfie to eat his freshly caught mice in the house.
No reason not to, there's never any mess. OTOH, if he gets a collared dove,

Tweed

Old December 17th 13, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson[_2_]

I allow Boyfie to eat his freshly caught mice in the house.
No reason not to, there's never any mess. OTOH, if he gets a collared dove,
that's an outside job because of the feathers, he plucks them, eats them,
and leaves the wings and tail. Even though he brings them back to eat in
comfort, not in my house..

Tweed

Trouble is she operates a catch-n-release scheme which has led to mice
living in the house ;-)

--
Nik Simpson

Old December 17th 13, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:48:43 -0600, Nik Simpson
wrote:
Last night, Tasha and I engaged in a battle of wills. She wanted to eat
her freshly caught mouse in the comfort of a warm house, I want to take
it away from her. She tried to sneak it in four times in 30 minutes,
without succeeding and promptly went back outside. On the fifth occasion
I won, sadly the mouse wasn't so fortunate. If you want to see a picture
of Tasha...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96111650@N07/11423836165/

She's a beauty! And look at her grooming her claws like wild beastie.
Old December 18th 13, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message
Last night, Tasha and I engaged in a battle of wills. She wanted to eat
her freshly caught mouse in the comfort of a warm house, I want to take
it away from her. She tried to sneak it in four times in 30 minutes,
without succeeding and promptly went back outside. On the fifth occasion
I won, sadly the mouse wasn't so fortunate. If you want to see a picture
of Tasha...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96111650@N07/11423836165/

--

I allow Boyfie to eat his freshly caught mice in the house.
No reason not to, there's never any mess. OTOH, if he gets a collared
dove, that's an outside job because of the feathers, he plucks them, eats
them, and leaves the wings and tail. Even though he brings them back to
eat in comfort, not in my house..

Tweed

You're lucky about the mice. Lindy (RB) used to eviscerate them and leave a
bloody mess. I know what you mean about the birds, though.

Joy

Old December 18th 13, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message

Last night, Tasha and I engaged in a battle of wills. She wanted to eat
her freshly caught mouse in the comfort of a warm house, I want to take it
away from her. She tried to sneak it in four times in 30 minutes, without
succeeding and promptly went back outside. On the fifth occasion I won,
sadly the mouse wasn't so fortunate. If you want to see a picture of
Tasha...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96111650@N07/11423836165/

I allow Boyfie to eat his freshly caught mice in the house.
No reason not to, there's never any mess. OTOH, if he gets a collared dove,
that's an outside job because of the feathers, he plucks them, eats them,
and leaves the wings and tail. Even though he brings them back to eat in
comfort, not in my house..

I certainly understand not wanting live mice running around the house (or
in the case where Smudge brought a live mouse in, it ran behind the couch
and died there, and I didn't find it for a few weeks). But I don't have a
strong need to rescue the mice, cute as they are. Cats have been catching,
killing and eating rodents for longer than human beings have been in
existence. Who am I to mess with that? If a cat seemed to be torturing the
mouse as a game, then I would probably try to rescue it, but I haven't had
to deal with that (so far!).

It probably wasn't just comfort she was after, by bringing the mouse
inside. I think cats have an instinct to bring their catch into their
cave or other hiding place, where other predators would be less likely to
try to take it away from them. Oh, the irony - she brings the kill to the
safety of home, only to have her human take it away from her. And you're
not even in competition with her for the prey!

Tasha is very colorful, sleek and pretty. And her eyes look really wild
in some of the shots.

--
Joyce

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old December 19th 13, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rusty[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:48:43 PM UTC-5, Nik Simpson wrote:
Last night, Tasha and I engaged in a battle of wills. She wanted to eat

her freshly caught mouse in the comfort of a warm house, I want to take

it away from her. She tried to sneak it in four times in 30 minutes,

without succeeding and promptly went back outside. On the fifth occasion

I won, sadly the mouse wasn't so fortunate. If you want to see a picture

of Tasha...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96111650@N07/11423836165/

--

Nik Simpson

I was just going down the memory lane of past Christmases the other day.
Recalled the Christmas I house and cat sat for a friend in exchange for
staying in her house during the Christmas break when my college dorm
was closed. On Christmas Eve I came into the house from work to find
Abbey playing with a half dead field mice in the living room.
She probably caught it from the backyard.
Never forget that Christmas surprise. -- Winnie
Old December 19th 13, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 01:50:56 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

While I understand that mice are pretty much prey animals, I hate to
see them killed by my cats. Same with birds, I rescue them as well.
Luckily there aren't too many incidents.

And that is one beautiful cat.
Old December 19th 13, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message

I allow Boyfie to eat his freshly caught mice in the house.
No reason not to, there's never any mess. OTOH, if he gets a collared
dove,
that's an outside job because of the feathers, he plucks them, eats them,
and leaves the wings and tail. Even though he brings them back to eat in
comfort, not in my house..

Tweed

Trouble is she operates a catch-n-release scheme which has led to mice
living in the house ;-)

--

Ah, she hasn't been taught the "killing bite" Boyfie was useless at it at
first, used to catch and release mice and baby rats in the house. KFC told

Old December 19th 13, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson[_2_]

"Nik Simpson" wrote in message

I allow Boyfie to eat his freshly caught mice in the house.
No reason not to, there's never any mess. OTOH, if he gets a collared
dove,
that's an outside job because of the feathers, he plucks them, eats them,
and leaves the wings and tail. Even though he brings them back to eat in
comfort, not in my house..

Tweed

Trouble is she operates a catch-n-release scheme which has led to mice
living in the house ;-)

--

Ah, she hasn't been taught the "killing bite" Boyfie was useless at it at
first, used to catch and release mice and baby rats in the house.

Oh no, she can kill them when she wants to, she just likes to save them
for a rainy day sometimes ;-)

--
Nik Simpson