Rotary smurgling

Old May 14th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Default Rotary smurgling

I don't recall whether I've described Ranger's unique method of smurgling
before. But he has been rather prolific of late, so I thought it warranted
another description anyway.

We have several smurglers in our house. They do the usual - wait until a
human has a blanket over them, then climb atop the blanket and suck or
chew on the blanket while kneading it.

That's not enough for Ranger, though. He waits until one or both of his
humans are in bed. He comes up to the middle of the bed and begins to
smurgle like any other kitty. Once he gets going, though, his hind end
starts moving. His rear walks in a circle while he is kneading. He will
start out facing towards the head of the bed. He then rotates clockwise
until he facing my side of the bed, then continues his rotation. He
usually makes two to four complete revolutions before he is done.

A rotary smurgling session is usually completed by exercising his
blanket-master skills - he steals my top blanket and drags it out into the
hallway.

Does anyone else's kitty use this bizarre smurgling technique?

Old May 14th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

You need to post that on the other group. Someone there doesn't realize so
many kitties do this sort of thing. I always leave one of those soft throw
type blankets on the bed for easy removal. O T at some point figures he
needs a blanket for the hallway. If it is too heavy, he enlists
Willow to help him remove it from the bed.
news

Old May 14th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Wed, 14 May 2008 13:43:05 -0500, Granby wrote:

You need to post that on the other group. Someone there doesn't realize so
many kitties do this sort of thing. I always leave one of those soft throw
type blankets on the bed for easy removal. O T at some point figures he
needs a blanket for the hallway. If it is too heavy, he enlists
Willow to help him remove it from the bed.

Nancy gets colder than I do, and she has a little red blanket she
spreads over herself at night. She has to put it in the closet when she
gets out of bed in the morning. It's small enough and light enough that
Ranger carries it all the way down stairs and all over the house. She
could find it anywhere (it ended up in the cat's water dish a couple
times, in a litter box once). My blanket is heavier and bigger, so it only
gets dragged into the hallway.

Old May 14th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nanny[_4_]

The only ones that steal light blankets here are the ferrets, not the cats.

Nanny

"Daniel Mahoney" schreef in bericht
news

Old May 14th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

[...]

Never had a cat do that. But after three winters in Alaska, Charlie and I
both tend to hand on to our share of the blankets for dear life.

Jo

Old May 15th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

[...]

What a character. Dante is a fierce, leg-massaging smurgler, who pounds
away with all four feet. I call it the Dante Dance.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old May 15th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On May 14, 11:37 am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
[...]

Good lord, Dan, you have a Smurgle-Burglar! =o)

Melissa
Old May 15th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

A rotary smurgling session is usually completed by exercising his
blanket-master skills - he steals my top blanket and drags it out into the
hallway.

Does anyone else's kitty use this bizarre smurgling technique?

No, but Miranda has been known to move blankets and rugs into more
appropriate places than where her stupid hoomin thought they should be.
She has never stolen a blanket off the bed, though.

Miranda only kneads in bed, too, and she goes around the whole bed every
evening. I'm not allowed to pet her while she is doing this, since it is
a Very Important Job and she is busy covering the Whole Bed looking very
earnest. When she's satisfied with her work, she lies down on my hip or
snuggles up to my legs and falls asleep.

Old May 15th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Thu, 15 May 2008 06:18:07 +0300, Marina wrote:

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
[quoted text muted]

No, but Miranda has been known to move blankets and rugs into more
appropriate places than where her stupid hoomin thought they should be.
She has never stolen a blanket off the bed, though.

Miranda only kneads in bed, too, and she goes around the whole bed every
evening. I'm not allowed to pet her while she is doing this, since it is
a Very Important Job and she is busy covering the Whole Bed looking very
earnest. When she's satisfied with her work, she lies down on my hip or
snuggles up to my legs and falls asleep.

Oh yes, I did forget to mention, during the aforementioned Rotary Smurgle,
petting is not allowed! Trying to pet the Master Smurgler will earn a
hoomin a meow of protest.

Fortunately the weather is warm enough now that I generally don't mind
losing my top blanket. Still, it is kind of a funny feeling to feel your
blanket being slowly pulled away.