Orange female cats??!

Old June 28th 04, 03:35 AM
JPT

Default Orange female cats??!

For a long time I was under the impression that all completely orange
(as opposed to calicos with some orange) cats were males, just as the
vast majority of all torties are female. But I have several strays
that hang out in my back yard, and I've seen what I believed to be an
undersized male nursing her kittens! Are orange females more common
than I thought? Thanks for any info.
Oh, and the kitty is sort of deep orange on top with some tabby orange
stripings on the flanks.
She is closest to the camera in this photo
http://home.earthlink.net/~lazykat67...s/Dscn1899.jpg
and appears on the right in this one
http://home.earthlink.net/~lazykat67...s/Dscn1895.jpg
Old June 28th 04, 03:55 AM
Mary

"JPT" wrote

She is closest to the camera in this photo
http://home.earthlink.net/~lazykat67...s/Dscn1899.jpg
and appears on the right in this one
http://home.earthlink.net/~lazykat67...s/Dscn1895.jpg

She's really beautiful. Might there be a rescue group in your area that
could assist in trapping and spaying these cats, and maybe finding them
homes?

Old June 28th 04, 03:57 AM
Sandy

I had an orange tabby female. She was Sundance's sister -- Sundance is a
male orange tabby-and-white. The YMCA named them Sundance and Cassidy
because they assumed they were both males, but surprise! From what I've
read, orange females are much more common than male calicos or
tortoiseshells, but still unusual. Maybe that's changing, though.

Those are gorgeous tortoiseshells!
---
Sandy

news

Old June 28th 04, 05:05 AM
The Lorax

JPT wrote:
For a long time I was under the impression that all completely orange
(as opposed to calicos with some orange) cats were males, just as the
vast majority of all torties are female. But I have several strays
that hang out in my back yard, and I've seen what I believed to be an
undersized male nursing her kittens! Are orange females more common
than I thought? Thanks for any info.
Oh, and the kitty is sort of deep orange on top with some tabby orange
stripings on the flanks.

What great photographs!

That cat looks just like my red tabby, TeddyCat. When we first got Teddy
at age 10 weeks, the people who gave her to us thought she was male. The
vet wasn't sure, so we named her Theodore. However, when we took her in
to be spayed, it became apparent that she is in fact a TheodorA, so Teddy.

Here's a pic:

http://members.shaw.ca/thelorax/teddy.jpg

Old June 28th 04, 05:54 AM
SongSylvan

For a long time I was under the impression that all completely orange
(as opposed to calicos with some orange) cats were males, just as the
vast majority of all torties are female. But I have several strays
that hang out in my back yard, and I've seen what I believed to be an
undersized male nursing her kittens! Are orange females more common
than I thought? Thanks for any info.

Three of Paintball's sisters were orange...

Magdalene
IWG #1024/Drill Sgt. of Local 35/Soiled Doves of Colorado & IFoRP #57
KC MasterPiece of the KCRF BBQ Wenches
One of Moonie's Naughty Kittens
Red Gemini Ghetto Smurf
"Don't mess with me, I dance with swords."
To email me, remove my bodice

Old June 28th 04, 07:59 AM
-L. :

JPT wrote in message . ..
For a long time I was under the impression that all completely orange
(as opposed to calicos with some orange) cats were males, just as the
vast majority of all torties are female. But I have several strays
that hang out in my back yard, and I've seen what I believed to be an
undersized male nursing her kittens! Are orange females more common
than I thought? Thanks for any info.
Oh, and the kitty is sort of deep orange on top with some tabby orange
stripings on the flanks.
She is closest to the camera in this photo
http://home.earthlink.net/~lazykat67...s/Dscn1899.jpg
and appears on the right in this one
http://home.earthlink.net/~lazykat67...s/Dscn1895.jpg

Pretty girl. Yes, orange females do exist. WHile the majority I have
seen are male, I'd say about 30% have been girls.

-L.