Feral cats _Evolution_ by Stephen Baxter

Old April 14th 04, 09:06 AM

Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

Your cat likes SCA events??

He loves 'em. Mind you, he got used to them at an early age. He
and his sister Viola attended their first event, a Mists Spring
Investiture, in a basket at the tender age of three weeks, and
were an instant success. As they grew older they got used to
wearing harnesses and were taken to fighter practices where they
got used to loud noises and hordes of people all exclaiming,
"Oooh, let me pet the kitty!"

How cute! It's so rare to find a cat who actually enjoys noisy,
crowded events. I'm sure your training him to tolerate it at an early
age helped a lot. He sounds like a real extravert.

Joyce

Old April 16th 04, 09:11 AM
David Silberstein

In article ,
Brenda W. Clough wrote:
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:20:29 -0500, "CaptCook" wrote:

I have been told several times that feral cats are such a problem in
the Dakotas that they are supposed to be destroyed if some specified
distance from a building. They have caused great destruction in
Hawaii according to conservationists. There is no danger of cats
becoming endangered. And no excuse for allowing them outside. That
being said, my pet of preference is a cat.

Ahem. There is "allowing them outside" and "allowing them outside".
Cats can be allowed to experience the great outdoors in various ways
short of opening the door and allowing them to roam freely. For
example, my two have a patio with cat-proof fencing that they go out
in for lazy weekend afternoons, and they are both trained to harness
for walks outside when we are all feeling more adventuresome.

In the larger pet catalogues they're selling cat strollers. Essentially
a cat cage, mounted on wheels with a stroller handle. So you can take
kitty for an airing, and he doesn't have to even set paw to ground.

I saw this in one of the flight catalogs that are in the backs of
airplane seats. They were made by Hammacher Schlemmer. Browsing
their website and fiddling with URLs, I see that the catalog item
is he

http://hammacher.com/publish/70171.asp

They also have other quasi-cages for pets, for those who wish to
allow their cats to sample the outdoors without running the risk
of getting lost:

http://hammacher.com/publish/67060.asp

Their catalog has other pet-related stuff on pages 30-31.
No link provided because it's a Flash object. Just go to
their home page and navigate through the spring catalog.

Old April 16th 04, 09:11 AM
David Silberstein

In article ,
Brenda W. Clough wrote:
wrote:

[...]

"The CarMax of Cats" (nice story) CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 3 March 30th 04 06:10 AM
2 ferals StocksRusĀ® Cat anecdotes 47 March 2nd 04 10:07 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 06:14 AM
The cats of the Blue Cave badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 September 29th 03 05:25 PM