mutual grooming

Old November 29th 03, 04:44 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article ,
MGW wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:27:27 GMT, "Governor George Liquor"
wrote:

"Governor George Liquor" wrote in message
. com...
"...but is very definitely differential to Jack."

That should've been, of course, "deferential". While both Jack and

Rizzo
are very smart, neither has quite gotten around to expropriating my old
college books in order to teach themselves higher math...

You mean they aren't integrated into your household?!

Oh, oh, oh, stop it! You're hurting me! LOL!

Oh, jeez, I just got it! ;-D

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old November 29th 03, 04:50 PM
MGW

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:38:52 GMT, Priscilla Ballou
wrote:

"Governor George Liquor" wrote in message
. com...
"...but is very definitely differential to Jack."

That should've been, of course, "deferential". While both Jack and Rizzo
are very smart, neither has quite gotten around to expropriating my old
college books in order to teach themselves higher math...

You mean they aren't integrated into your household?!

Oh, oh, oh, stop it! You're hurting me! LOL!

OK - can't resist (those of you who haven't taken calculus can stop
reading now):

A mathematician went insane and believed that he was the
differentiation operator. His friends had him placed in a mental
hospital until he got better. All day he would go around frightening
the other patients by staring at them and saying "I differentiate
you!"

One day he met a new patient; and true to form he stared at him and
said "I differentiate you!", but for once, his victim's expression
didn't change. Surprised, the mathematician marshalled his energies,
stared fiercely at the new patient and said loudly "I differentiate
you!", but still the other man had no reaction. Finally, in
frustration, the mathematician screamed out "I DIFFERENTIATE YOU!"

The new patient calmly looked up and said, "You can differentiate me
all you like: I'm e to the x."

(drum roll)

Old November 29th 03, 06:13 PM
Mary

"Governor George Liquor" wrote in message
om...
I found varying descriptions of the significance of mutual grooming

in both
books and online. Some say the "top cat" does the grooming, as a

way of
enofrcing dominance by putting some of his scent on the other cat.

Others
say the submissive cat grooms the top cat as a way of showing his
subservient position. Still others say mutual grooming is just an
expression of affection.

Jack is the top cat, but virtue of being older, stronger, and having

a more
forceful personality. Rizzo is now the same size as Jack, and will
ultimately be larger, but is very definitely differential to Jack.

Rizzo
usually starts the mutual grooming, but Jack quickly reciprocates,

and they
end up slobbering all over one another, and follow that by

wrestling,
chasing, and the leaving of a general swath of mild destruction.

This is so cute. My friend's little girl sisters do this. I had never
seen it before. I think it has to be at least partly an expression of
affection. Cheeks was here a year before she finally groomed me. I had
to grow on her!

Old November 29th 03, 07:43 PM
Karen M.

Governor George Liquor wrote:

"Governor George Liquor" wrote in message
om...

"...but is very definitely differential to Jack."

That should've been, of course, "deferential". While both Jack and Rizzo
are very smart, neither has quite gotten around to expropriating my old
college books in order to teach themselves higher math...

give them time, give them time...