Snuffleupagus

Old November 26th 03, 12:15 PM
Wendy

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa 25 Nov 2003 03:53:10 -0800, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav, Kate
Orman ) said,

I adopted 5 1/2 yo Frank (with his partner in crime, Tim) about five
months ago. Frank snores, but he also breathes noisily through his nose
much of the time - he doesn't really purr, he snuffles. He's seen a
couple of vets and has a clean bill of health, but I haven't asked
specifically about his noisy breathing. It doesn't seem to bother him
in the slightest, but I wondered if it might be worth a trip to the
vet in case it's symptom of anything concerning. I'd be very grateful
for any advice, or stories of similar Snuffleupagus cats.

Oscar, my buff DSH tabby, snores and breathes loudly whenever he's
really relaxed. Healthy as an ox (and about the size of one, too. ;-)
), and no respiratory issues. A vet once told me that this
occasionally happens after a cat has been neutered if the cat had
anesthesia via a throat tube, as I recall (it was years back). Dunno
if it's true or not, but I guess it's a thought.

In any case, if the cat is healthy, I wouldn't stress it.

Laura

Cats tend to snore when they are overweight too. The snoring isn't a
problem - the extra weight however .......

Old November 26th 03, 10:42 PM

In article ,
Wendy wrote:

Cats tend to snore when they are overweight too. The snoring isn't a
problem - the extra weight however .......

Thanks Laura and Wendy! Fear not - Frank is in good trim, and I plan to
keep him that way. (He gets plenty of exercise launching himself
ballstically at Tim on a regular basis. :-)

Kate Orman http://www.zip.com.au/~korman/
"I have no idea what that meant." - Dot Warner

Old November 27th 03, 12:06 AM
Wendy

Glad to hear he's nice and trim. My Tiggy used to snore as loud as the dh
before she dumped the extra weight.

Old November 27th 03, 11:42 AM
Kate Orman

And now, a view from the other direction. A couple of times, I've
noticed one of Frank's anal glands squirt out a couple of tiny
droplets. I've read all about impacted anal glands and the endless
joy they bring to cat and owner, so I've got an eye out for the
symptoms, but I'm not sure if I'm noticing anything abnormal here.
(There's no smell that I can notice.) Is this an early warning
sign, or just a normal hazard of looking at a cat from the wrong
angle? :-)

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,
- Kate Orman