Snuffleupagus

Old November 27th 03, 12:52 PM
Wendy

There are three diseases that occur in the anal sacs.

1. When the fluid becomes thick and solidified, the condition is called
impaction.

2. When bacteria grow in this material producing a yellow or bloody pus, the
condition is called infection.

3. When the infection builds to create a hot, tender swelling in the gland,
the condition is called an abscess. When the abscessed material overflows
the sac or the duct leading to the sac becomes obstructed , the skin over
the sac breaks open, and the pus drains onto the skin.

What are the clinical signs?

Symptoms of anal sac disease a

1. Scooting or dragging the anal area.

2. Excessive licking under the tail.

3. Pain, sometimes severe, near the tail or anus.

4. A swollen area on either side of the anus.

5. Bloody or sticky drainage on either side of the anus.

http://www.drpetra.com/Cats/Anal%20S...0in%20Cats.htm

"Kate Orman" wrote in message
om...
And now, a view from the other direction. A couple of times, I've
noticed one of Frank's anal glands squirt out a couple of tiny
droplets. I've read all about impacted anal glands and the endless
joy they bring to cat and owner, so I've got an eye out for the
symptoms, but I'm not sure if I'm noticing anything abnormal here.
(There's no smell that I can notice.) Is this an early warning
sign, or just a normal hazard of looking at a cat from the wrong
angle? :-)

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,
- Kate Orman

Old November 27th 03, 09:20 PM

In article ,
Wendy wrote:

There are three diseases that occur in the anal sacs.

[the horrible details]

Cheers Wendy, but as I said, I'd read up on the symptoms and Frank doesn't
have any of them. I'm only wondering if the tiny, odorless squirts I've
noticed a couple of times are anything to worry about.

Kate Orman http://www.zip.com.au/~korman/
"I have no idea what that meant." - Dot Warner

Old November 27th 03, 11:01 PM
Wendy

was he bent out of shape when you noticed him "squirting"? Tiggy has done
that from time to time when she's not particularly happy with her lot in
life - anything from picking her up when she doesn't want to be to being
really ticked off. Sometimes the smell is gawdawful other times I just
notice she's a little "moist" back there. As long as there aren't any
symptoms I wouldn't worry about it.

Old November 28th 03, 06:15 AM

In article ,
Wendy wrote:

was he bent out of shape when you noticed him "squirting"? Tiggy has done
that from time to time when she's not particularly happy with her lot in
life - anything from picking her up when she doesn't want to be to being
really ticked off. Sometimes the smell is gawdawful other times I just
notice she's a little "moist" back there. As long as there aren't any
symptoms I wouldn't worry about it.

Ta for the reassurance! No, it just sort of happened as he was jumping
onto the desk. I wouldn't even have noticed if he didn't stick his fuzzy
butt in my face. I'll just keep an eye out for anything more dramatic.