Young cat can't catch his breath after play?

Old March 6th 05, 03:02 PM
Al Puzzuoli

Default Young cat can't catch his breath after play?

Hi all,

I have a young, indoor cat who is about three years old. He seems
healthy in all respects but sometimes when playing he gets carried away
and I wonder whether it's possible for him to do himself harm?

For example this morning, he was chasing a toy on a string for about 20
minutes. He kept chasing so we kept swinging the toy. Finally, he
walked away, stretched out on the floor and lay there gasping, taking
quick, panting breaths. It took about 10 minutes for him to regain his
breath. After that, he rested for about another 10 minutes and then he
seemed fine.

Is this sort of extended activity okay, or would it be best to moderate
his play to some extent?

Thanks,

--Al

Old March 6th 05, 03:26 PM
John Doe

Al Puzzuoli wrote:

I have a young, indoor cat who is about three years old. He seems
healthy in all respects but sometimes when playing he gets carried
away and I wonder whether it's possible for him to do himself harm?
For example this morning, he was chasing a toy on a string for
about 20 minutes. He kept chasing so we kept swinging the toy.
Finally, he walked away, stretched out on the floor and lay there
gasping, taking quick, panting breaths. It took about 10 minutes
for him to regain his breath. After that, he rested for about
another 10 minutes and then he seemed fine.
Is this sort of extended activity okay, or would it be best to
moderate his play to some extent?

Seems to cause all parties discomfort. Therefore it would be best to
moderate.

Old March 6th 05, 04:25 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Al Puzzuoli" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all,

I have a young, indoor cat who is about three years old. He seems
healthy in all respects but sometimes when playing he gets carried away
and I wonder whether it's possible for him to do himself harm?

For example this morning, he was chasing a toy on a string for about 20
minutes. He kept chasing so we kept swinging the toy. Finally, he
walked away, stretched out on the floor and lay there gasping, taking
quick, panting breaths. It took about 10 minutes for him to regain his
breath. After that, he rested for about another 10 minutes and then he
seemed fine.

Is this sort of extended activity okay, or would it be best to moderate
his play to some extent?

Thanks,

--Al

20 minutes of continuous play is a long time, & I'd be surprised if he
didn't pant after that length of time. Otoh, being out of breath can be a
sign of heart trouble, & since it took him 10 minutes to feel himself again,
I'd have him checked out by your vet, just in case.

Cathy

Old March 6th 05, 04:35 PM
Rhonda

We have a cat who would play until exhausted and panting, too. It is
tempting to keep playing with them because they seem to be having a
great time.

We stopped playing with her that hard, a cat panting is not a good thing.

Rhonda

Old March 6th 05, 09:16 PM

Panting for *10 minutes* after play is definitely NOT normal. It should
take only a minute or two at the most for a healthy cat that has played
hard enough to pant to catch its breath. You need to get your kitty to
the vet ASAP and have an echocardiogram done. What you describe is a
classic sign of a cat with a heart condition.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 7th 05, 02:35 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 11:25:25 -0500, "Cathy Friedmann"
wrote:

[...]

Back when Kira was a kitten, she would run and fetch, and after about
20 -30 minutes, she would just sit down and lay there. She would pant
for the first minute or so, and then just lay there, showing mental
interest in the toy, but no more physical interest.

With Chase, we had a problem. He would pant, but he wouldn't quit. We
actually had to enforce the breaks during serious play. It just didn't
seem right for him to keep playing that actively when he was obviously
panting.

When he was about a year old, we did a photo shoot of him. I do
photos, and my nephew (Chase's owner) really wanted some fun photos.
So, my birthday present for my nephew was a photo shoot. He worked the
cat for me (play and getting the right angle), and I did the photos.
He had so much fun that he is now my assistant.

Anyway, we spent about 2 hours overall, so we had to take several
breaks. I did not want to work him too hard, and he was going all out.
And I have some great panting shots

He is 4 now, and he doesn't pant anymore. He just quits playing when
is tired. He's not so obsessed now.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old March 7th 05, 05:09 AM
Kim

My calico cutie, Brio, had some panting episodes during play as a kitten.
She too didn't know how to pace herself... I'd have to put away the toys,
and once I had to shut her in a room cus she got so hyper and wouldn't stop
running around.

Now she's older (going on 2) and she stops when she's tired.

wrote:

m...