How to train a cat?

Old February 29th 04, 05:19 PM
Mary

"GovtLawyer" wrote in message
I live in a residential area and have a 1 year old female cat.

You do not HAVE a 1 year old female cat. If you HAD her, you would

not let her
go.

I have to say, this was the kind of post I had in mind. For once I bit
my tongue. For no good reason. Glad you didn't. Why is the OP's
attitude upsetting? Because it screams "I really don't give a sh*t
about my cats. If I did I couldn't bear to think of them getting hit
and killed and I'd keep them inside." Poor cats. Poor babies.

Old February 29th 04, 07:42 PM
Alison

"Mike Ballard" wrote in message

I live in a residential area and have a 1 year old female cat.

She's
pretty agressive as far as not having much fear of the unknown

(she'll sit
looking at the vacuum cleaner when I turn it on). This is a bit of

problem because she won't stay away from the street (and I've seen

her
crossing it a couple times).

You could try to cat proof your yard s she can't get out .
or limit the time she is allowed out and try to make your garden more
interesting . If the road is not busy then does it matter if she
crosses it ?
Alison

Old March 2nd 04, 09:27 AM
IBen Getiner

Mike Ballard wrote in message ...
I live in a residential area and have a 1 year old female cat. She's
pretty agressive as far as not having much fear of the unknown (she'll sit
looking at the vacuum cleaner when I turn it on). This is a bit of a
problem because she won't stay away from the street (and I've seen her
crossing it a couple times). I don't know how to teach her to stay
in/near our yard. I put coins in a coke can to shake at the older cat and
he seems to have learned to stay away from the street (that also seemed to
work with an earlier cat we had many years ago). Any hope (and how) to
train the younger cat to stay away from the street? (The only street near
the house is in the front. It's a bit of a ways to a street behind the
house; up a hillside).

Mike

Ever see Pet Semetary? Just kidding... My advice would be to get
yourself one of those shock collars. The ones that work off implants
that you bury in your yard. The 'invisible fence' thing. My brother
had good luck with these on his pigs. He said it really cut down on
his use of his electric cattle prod. Pigs are smarter than cats I
hear-tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if your kitty gets the 'feel'
of it in a hurry! Good luck, Mike.

IBen Getiner

Old March 2nd 04, 09:46 AM
Willows

The thing is if she's crossing the road and she's a young cat your
gambling everytime she does it that she'll make it to the other side.
To have any hope of training her to stay in the back yard you'll need to
be with her whenever you do let her out. Take her out on a harness with
you maybe, or just keep her in. It's only a matter of time if it goes
on like it is before she gets knocked over.

Old March 2nd 04, 10:08 AM
MaryL

"Willows" wrote in message
The thing is if she's crossing the road and she's a young cat your
gambling everytime she does it that she'll make it to the other side.
To have any hope of training her to stay in the back yard you'll need to
be with her whenever you do let her out. Take her out on a harness with
you maybe, or just keep her in. It's only a matter of time if it goes
on like it is before she gets knocked over.

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make in my reply.

MaryL

Old March 3rd 04, 04:43 AM
Hailey

Ever see Pet Semetary? Just kidding... My advice would be to get
yourself one of those shock collars. The ones that work off implants
that you bury in your yard. The 'invisible fence' thing. My brother
had good luck with these on his pigs. He said it really cut down on
his use of his electric cattle prod. Pigs are smarter than cats I
hear-tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if your kitty gets the 'feel'
of it in a hurry! Good luck, Mike.

IBen Getine

I think those things are horrid. Especially on a cat. Foolishly we bought
the whole system when we had a puppy. Trained that little girl, put that
collar on and threw the switch. We have this huge cedar tree in our back
yard, and the pup's *enclosure* was all around it, it was huge. When DH
threw the switch I was with puppy and she screeched, and backed into the
tree and whined. She was three times the *safe* distance from ANY part of
the fence, and the unit was on the lowest possible setting.

She did not even wanna go out back for days (we took off her collar btw) and
when she finally did trust us again, she really didn't *trust* us for a long
time. She cowered near the tree, for probably a couple weeks of coaxing and
promising and telling her we were sorry.

it was VERY sad and I think those things are very cruel Just my opinion.

Hailey